shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on this MMD?

Lauralei101

Rough_Rock
Thoughts on this? I believe the table is a bit over the desirable measurement, but I’m curious on thoughts others my have.. as to how much that variation will affect light performance and overall quality.. any help is appreciated!

Attachments

• FD25C58F-DF94-4D12-95DB-6647AD9D6625.png
    FD25C58F-DF94-4D12-95DB-6647AD9D6625.png
    416.9 KB · Views: 58
  • 573440D7-A7CE-4804-9C9D-392B465CDE90.jpeg
    573440D7-A7CE-4804-9C9D-392B465CDE90.jpeg
    197.2 KB · Views: 40
  • 3A86632A-D558-4FE1-BFCB-AC7C5B75ADBD.jpeg
    3A86632A-D558-4FE1-BFCB-AC7C5B75ADBD.jpeg
    353.7 KB · Views: 27
  • B608E694-2C52-4DA7-84B8-1006CF9BB6C5.jpeg
    B608E694-2C52-4DA7-84B8-1006CF9BB6C5.jpeg
    537.5 KB · Views: 31

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Table measurement is fine - upper end of the generally recommended 'safe' numbers (that get you in SuperIdeal territory, I believe) but not 'big'.

Should be fine if you run it through the HCA tool :)

Lauralei101

Rough_Rock
Table measurement is fine - upper end of the generally recommended 'safe' numbers (that get you in SuperIdeal territory, I believe) but not 'big'.

Should be fine if you run it through the HCA tool :)

I ran it through the HCA and it looks good to me. I might just pull the trigger. 557E0A55-DEF8-4E40-B182-8F6011ECD7BC.png

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Exciting! :))

Can't wait to see what you think when it arrives :)

Lauralei101

Rough_Rock
So I got the Vrai ring and wedding band today.. I definitely see warmth but only in certain lighting- otherwise it’s a nice Sparkly white , but my other set is an E with fluorescence so I’m just not used to seeing warmth so I assume I’ll get used to that.. it’s beautifully sparkly and is the perfect size I wanted.. and the setting and wedding bands are to die for.. we’ll see how they hold up but I’ve got the lifetime care package so there’s some safety in that. I have a 60 day return policy. I feel like that should be enough time for me to know if the warmth is enough to bother me.. thoughts?? 188A8384-0AC1-45BC-A1D6-CA038E868A1D.jpeg 35994576-E4B0-4FD6-98CE-D90DE12CB86A.jpeg 7918F288-87D6-43AC-BEA0-41BBD0A5EA70.jpeg 31D3CE16-2BF6-4247-AB0E-4CDD7062E4EB.jpeg

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That looks great! :))

As you say, some tint looks visible in the pics - but seeing tint and being bothered by tint are not the same thing :)

Check out when you'd need to get it in the post by if you did want to return it, then wear it in as many different lighting environments as you can so you can get to learn its personality (and if you like that character) :)

Lauralei101

Rough_Rock
That looks great! :))

As you say, some tint looks visible in the pics - but seeing tint and being bothered by tint are not the same thing :)

Check out when you'd need to get it in the post by if you did want to return it, then wear it in as many different lighting environments as you can so you can get to learn its personality (and if you like that character) :)

Thank you so much!! I’m going to take your advice and wear it in all lighting situations.. tint is different then the color grade? Or could the tint be due to the H color? Or do you think it’s the brownish tint some mmd’s have? This is the most color I’ve seen out of it but it’s really only captured through a photo.. IRL it doesn’t look that warm/brown 9DA8D6C9-2FCA-4490-8A2A-CAFCBC0781D6.jpeg

Last edited:

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tint is just another word for colour :) although not a technical term! lol

As you note, some MMDs seem to have undertones / nuance - brown, grey, blue, pink - and some grading houses are 'softer' on colour than GIA/AGS, so this all combines to give some MMDs a bit more tint than perhaps a Mined stone of the same grade from GIA/AGS might have, but it's not necessarily an issue if the price is right and the performance is good and one likes the stone :)

adele_h

Shiny_Rock
That pic showing colour is really helpful - I’m considering going with a G-H stone when the time comes, which I’ve bumped up from the ‘I’ I probably would’ve gotten if I was going to go with a mined stone.. thanks for posting, it reinforces my thoughts that a grade up in colour wouldn’t hurt!

Your ring is gorgeous. The stone is beautiful.. and whilst I can see the tint, I imagine when the stone moves the liveliness and brightness of the stone would cover the colour!

muesli

Shiny_Rock
I just took these for colour comparison :).

The MRB is a mined GIA F (with pave) and the OEC is a mmd IGI G.
Here they are in different lighting conditions (both stones are a bit dirty and my phone case is black):

20200729_121101.jpg

20200729_121136.jpg

20200729_121225.jpg

20200729_121302.jpg

Lauralei101

Rough_Rock
I love the G OEC! Beautiful! Is that by Jonathan? He quoted me for an I color 2ct but it would have been too much over my budget with a band and setting and the stone was smaller then I was looking for. I totally get quality over quantity and I’m learning my lesson, lol.. but really my priority was an affordable stone in the 8.5mm range.. I know half a mm doesn’t sound like much but to me it does. I wanted as much coverage as possible within reason of course.

I contacted Vrai about the stone, sent them a picture, etc.. they were responsive and she agreed there was a tint to the stone. She said if I return it she can have their in house gemologist look for a stone within my preferences to find one without tint. My preferences were so specific I don’t know how they’re going to do that. I’m also interested to see the price difference in the stones they find for me. I tapped my budget out, so if they come up with more expensive stones, it puts me in a dilemma for sure.. I told her my specs and priorities and that I needed it in the same price range as the original stone. So I guess we will see what pans out. If they find one without tint that’s the same mm size and meets all the measurement specifications and is above an H color, I might return it. I’m so torn!! Also if I return it and they replace it, it’s considered final sale, so I told her my reluctancy to reorder based on that policy.

Last edited:

mwilliamanderson

Brilliant_Rock
That one photo where the stone looks brown would be a real problem for me if it happened often. Why not keep yours for now and buy a different stone. Then return the one you don’t like to get around their final sale tactics.

Lauralei101

Rough_Rock
That one photo where the stone looks brown would be a real problem for me if it happened often. Why not keep yours for now and buy a different stone. Then return the one you don’t like to get around their final sale tactics.

Yeah I dislike the brown very much. They just got back to me- they don’t have a stone in house that matches my specifications without a tint. And they make each setting for each diamond and won’t allow a swap out of the diamond- the entire ring has to be returned and then a new one purchased with the new stone. Idk how I feel about all of it. I truly love the rings, but am disappointed in the diamond. Also disappointed they don’t have one in house so I can just make the change now. And I’m not one to wait on the unknown and just return the ring and hope something better comes in someday. If I’m returning it, I’m returning everything and probably going with a different vendor. My issue is I’m a one stop shopper. I like convenience and timeliness. Which limits my options with lab diamond retailers. I don’t want to design anything or get CADs made. And I thought VRAI was going to be the best and easiest in that respect.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
They might not allow swapping of the stone in case it weakens the prongs a bit (??) in which they are just protecting themselves and the customer :) (I'm not sure if working of the prongs weakens or strengthens them - different metals respond differently!)

If you have no choice but to return everything, you could take as many pictures as you can of the ring from different angles - on and off the finger - and perhaps measure it with a micrometer (pretty cheap off amazon or eBay) so you might be able to create something similar using it as inspiration :)

Are Vrai a shop or a jewellery brand? If the latter, would a different shop sell the same ring but have different diamond stock?

Lauralei101

Rough_Rock
They might not allow swapping of the stone in case it weakens the prongs a bit (??) in which they are just protecting themselves and the customer :) (I'm not sure if working of the prongs weakens or strengthens them - different metals respond differently!)

If you have no choice but to return everything, you could take as many pictures as you can of the ring from different angles - on and off the finger - and perhaps measure it with a micrometer (pretty cheap off amazon or eBay) so you might be able to create something similar using it as inspiration :)

Are Vrai a shop or a jewellery brand? If the latter, would a different shop sell the same ring but have different diamond stock?

You’re probably right about the setting I didn’t think of that..

Vrai is Diamond Foundry’s jewelry brand.. they use to be Vrai&Oro.. so the settings are unique to Vrai.. I know I can get a six claw prong knife edge just about anywhere, but this one is perfectly dainty and the prongs aren’t bulky.. I’m sure I could have it made (I love that it sits low in my finger and flush with the band), but I bet if I have it made somewhere else specially I’ll have no return policy, and now that I’ve experienced this, I think I need to have a solid return policy wherever I buy.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You’re probably right about the setting I didn’t think of that..

Vrai is Diamond Foundry’s jewelry brand.. they use to be Vrai&Oro.. so the settings are unique to Vrai.. I know I can get a six claw prong knife edge just about anywhere, but this one is perfectly dainty and the prongs aren’t bulky.. I’m sure I could have it made (I love that it sits low in my finger and flush with the band), but I bet if I have it made somewhere else specially I’ll have no return policy, and now that I’ve experienced this, I think I need to have a solid return policy wherever I buy.

I think a good Returns policy is wise :))

It's a pain that they don't have a wider diamond stock right now - there is always new stuff coming through, though, so perhaps something might arrive soon.

What date do you need to return by if you do return it? (Check whether it has to be received on that date or just sent on that date.) If you can hang on until then, you could advise them that you need to return it but will wait until X date, just in case they have something in stock that suit.

Not having a Returns on the replacement stone is perhaps a bit of a red flag, though, so perhaps it will be better to just return it and start again :(

Bit of a pain, but you have to wear it every day so you should love all of it!

Lauralei101

Rough_Rock
I think a good Returns policy is wise :))

It's a pain that they don't have a wider diamond stock right now - there is always new stuff coming through, though, so perhaps something might arrive soon.

What date do you need to return by if you do return it? (Check whether it has to be received on that date or just sent on that date.) If you can hang on until then, you could advise them that you need to return it but will wait until X date, just in case they have something in stock that suit.

Not having a Returns on the replacement stone is perhaps a bit of a red flag, though, so perhaps it will be better to just return it and start again :(

Bit of a pain, but you have to wear it every day so you should love all of it!

I think I’m going to do that- I’m keeping it for 30 days to see if a better diamond comes up.. the gemologist will check for a tint if one comes in with my desired specs.. if one doesn’t come in within that time I’m going to return everything and start over with a different company..

I mean 30 days should give a decent round of inventory I hope!

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think I’m going to do that- I’m keeping it for 30 days to see if a better diamond comes up.. the gemologist will check for a tint if one comes in with my desired specs.. if one doesn’t come in within that time I’m going to return everything and start over with a different company..

I mean 30 days should give a decent round of inventory I hope!

Excellent stuff :)

Make sure to check if it needs to be back with them by 30 days or just in the post!

monipod

Brilliant_Rock
It's a gorgeous stone but no denying the warmth or the slight brown tint from the pics. It's only ever so slight that some people would love to rock it with a rose gold setting but given you have chosen white metal, it's worth having a good think before you can't return it.

Lauralei101

Rough_Rock
@Laura Zacheus, what did you decide to do about your stone?

I’m still holding on to it and they’re still looking for a G color or better for me. I have until 9/29 to initiate the return. I’m hesitant to let it go because I haven’t seen a lot of inventory I’m confident in elsewhere.. I don’t know that I’ll send it back definitely, depending on what’s on the market closer to when I have to make a drop dead decision. I’m just disappointed that I even have the doubt in the stone. Sometimes I think it doesn’t sparkle enough but then again it’s not like I’ve got another 2+ carat diamond laying around to compare it to lol. Vrai said they were supposed to get more stones this week. I’m just not sure they’ll get what I want.

they have an excellent cut stone that almost fits the bill.. but I’m really hesitant to go down from abs ideal cut considering I already feel it’s a little less vibrant then I would have hoped.

ThiaChelf

Shiny_Rock
I think its beautiful but I like warmth in stones.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results