shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on this marquis

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey, melvis, I thought you already bought a MQ and were happy with it. Looking to upgrade?

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel knows a lot about marquises. I hope she chimes in soon. Good luck with your search!!!

Melvis

Rough_Rock
No purchase yet. Having to go back to the drawing board for a ER....trying to price out some good MQ. Found that one and it seems fairly spot on.. and good price for being .61 carats. My hands are very short (not dainty or petite) just small and so anything above 3/4 carat just looks out of place...

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm only able to do a short post now, sorry, but you didn't want to at least give that eBay one a try?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There's no way to predict how good the light performance is by the numbers alone. The picture on the website is a sample image so that's useless too.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1384357026|3555773 said:
There's no way to predict how good the light performance is by the numbers alone. The picture on the website is a sample image so that's useless too.

Exactly.

Do they give you pictures? I can't remember about this seller.

Also is there a reason you are staying so high clarity. These types of cuts hide inclusions better than others. You could easily get away with si1
Clarity is less important but I do think color is more important. As mqs tend to show more color. So I don't think f is overboard. But you could go down to a g and be safe. Or a high H.

Melvis

Rough_Rock
Niel|1384359355|3555783 said:

These types of cuts hide inclusions better than others. You could easily get away with si1
Clarity is less important but I do think color is more important. As mqs tend to show more color. So I don't think f is overboard. But you could go down to a g and be safe. Or a high H.

The ebay ring didnt come with a cert, and I wasn't sure about the inclusion rating. Was going of other research I'd found about what was best to stay within for guidelines. So clarity would be ok to go lower on as long as colorless was higher? I want to be comfortable with what should be a good stone when looking online or at stores (for comparison and to be able to visually SEE the stone size, ect.. for now-not that I'll buy from a store..)

That JA MQ does look very nice! Im not opposed to being closer to the .5 mark either.

If you think that ebay one is that good, I'll definitely give it another look and have the bf look at it to see if he'd be interested. It would save us lots of $ ;-)

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Melvis|1384441768|3556339 said:
Niel|1384359355|3555783 said:

These types of cuts hide inclusions better than others. You could easily get away with si1

The ebay ring didnt come with a cert, and I wasn't sure about the inclusion rating. Was going of other research I'd found about what was best to stay within for guidelines. So clarity would be ok to go lower on as long as colorless was higher? I want to be comfortable with what should be a good stone when looking online or at stores (for comparison and to be able to visually SEE the stone size, ect.. for now-not that I'll buy from a store..)

That JA MQ does look very nice! Im not opposed to being closer to the .5 mark either.

If you think that ebay one is that good, I'll definitely give it another look and have the bf look at it to see if he'd be interested. It would save us lots of $ ;-)

Well I do think that eBay one has a lot of potential. But if you wanted noticeably white diamond. I think I'd go for that D from James Allen. It has a culet even. I'm not usually one to advocate for high colors but I think the shark white would flatter your green tzavs

Melvis

Rough_Rock
Thanks! I'm gonna give the JA link to the bf to drop the hint :lol: Let's hope he bites lol. Now to find a mounting that gives me the closest design of the tsavs that Im looking for. here's hoping :) p.s. Im open to any other great finds to be posted here too for possible options. :) Thankfully Im not in any rush to get this done and can take some time.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Melvis|1384450486|3556430 said:
Thanks! I'm gonna give the JA link to the bf to drop the hint :lol: Let's hope he bites lol. Now to find a mounting that gives me the closest design of the tsavs that Im looking for. here's hoping :) p.s. Im open to any other great finds to be posted here too for possible options. :) Thankfully Im not in any rush to get this done and can take some time.

None of the James allen ones did it for you?

Melvis

Rough_Rock
This one was the *closest* I've come from JA that I liked was this one: http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/pave/14k-white-gold-pave-encrusted-engagement-ring-item-8103
If only that center row could be marquis and not rounds.. It'd be a contender...

I wish they had a store I could actually go in to see, try on..ect. I'm a concrete kinda gal and need to feel, test, ect.. (which is also why I've been balking at custom work...I wont be able to do that till the ring is paid for!)

This is also similar to what im searching for.. http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/three-stone/14k-white-gold-fanciful-fluted-pear-pave-engagement-ring-item-9229
but the marquis I think set too high.... or rather the melee diamonds set too low...

ok.. opening this can of worms.. lol I just got so frazzled from the other post that I didnt know which way was up at times... but here's what I've evaluated..... I think what I liked most about that original setting (NL) was the stone was incorporated in but not overpowered by the shank work. I think it was set more as a cathedral setting ? to where it didn't look so separated from the rest of the ring...but it stood on its own merit (not covered up with a halo or a such a busy design that it got "lost" in the setting. I also LOVE the idea of a pattern similar to it.. ie: where as it would be marquis-round-marquis Or going one more MQ-R-MQ-R-MQ.

Other cuts of stones are not off the table.. but it was the NL that made me adore the marquis cut. I just don't want the same round/princess stone every other girl has... I want mine to be a bit different and MQ are seemingly starting to rise in popularity again to some extent.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Melvis|1384456593|3556499 said:
Other cuts of stones are not off the table.. but it was the NL that made me adore the marquis cut. I just don't want the same round/princess stone every other girl has... I want mine to be a bit different and MQ are seemingly starting to rise in popularity again to some extent.

I couldnt agree more with the idea that marquise are rising in popularity. They dropped because of the extreme boom they had in the 80s, and how they were set in those rings, made them the epitome of outdated for a long time. But i think as they have dropped so far off the radar, young women who are shopping for e rings arent familiar with them as they used to be. Before they were tacky and overdone, now they are unique and rare. Plus, they are low in price still as they havent dug themselves out of they old hole, and they face up so large, you get a lot of bang for your buck. and i do think they do perform better than pears do. I also think princesses are going the way of the marquise. Oversaturation and an iconic shape of the 90s, i dont think thye can stay popular too much longer. other shapes could be nice, like an oval or pear, and they will face up large as well. step cuts are lovely too but will look small for what youre trying to get budget wise

I know what you mean about the setting, let me think on it, as i think there might be one that would fit your vision

Melvis

Rough_Rock
To be honest.. I NEVER wanted a MQ..b/c all I can think of are those lil old ladies that had those 80's MQ and just were not appeasing. There is something though about the MQ that screams vintage...and especially with how they are being set today gives a throwback feel to something more antique-ish than before. Other cuts Im open to...oval, cushion, ascher, I have a feeling that these are going to be a bit more $$ since they are still considered a specialty cut.

thats also why I was so drawn to that clearance ring from "that" store.. lol b/c it was giving me the closest to what I was looking for and rock bottom priced!! it gave me TWO MQ, the cathedral setting, and the bottom mq cut out was two round melees that I could change to two round tsavs.. Even if it is from a dreaded store..lol... it was going to give me MORE room for a better quality marquis that if needed I'd be able to reset, possibly even do a custom of what I want for a 5,10 year anniversary thing. I'd rather be able to invest in a better diamond now, and be able to possibly re-set as I want (if ever).
that ring would be PERFECT if those two round melees were another set of MQ's.. lol) BUT if thats the closest I can get right now and not break the bf bank.. might not be a bad way to go... I'll have the better diamond now and get the best setting later..whether or not other pser's liked it.. its not going to be on THEIR finger... ;-) I totally respect their previous experiences.. but I work in Customer service for an appliance manufacturer.. I KNOW how all you ever hear is the BAD on forums and review boards ect...... But I also know there are GOOD stories out there too.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
what would you think of this, with the diamonds within the side triagles as tsavs and also the ones in the prongs, though i doubt it would stay in when switched to a marquise head. Oh that would be :love:

http://www.gabrielny.com/engaged/style/ER8753W44JJ

sorry just saw your last post, so are you saying youll buy that NL ring? I just dont think the center stone would be quality enough. If you went that route. id rather get the JA and a setting you like best there than the NL, as JA has an upgrade policy and nice stones.

Melvis

Rough_Rock
Not the NL ring..I'm finally over that obsession.. lol and yes I agree.. I would NOT use the stone NL offers but would buy a different MQ to set in it... but the store did have this setting that was similar but ROCK bottom clearance. .. and is the one I still have on the table...

jared_ring.jpg

With purchasing my own center stone.

Melvis

Rough_Rock
That one gabriel ring is nice.. the side triangles upon closer view looks like its actually just some rounds? having all of them no matter as tsavs would be very nice.

Melvis

Rough_Rock
I've looked at similar ones..and felt they seemed a bit more simplistic.. which is not always a bad thing.. Im sending this to the bf as a consideration. what kind of band would you place with that? (Im thinking that two slender bands, one on each side would be a possibility). And have them sautered (spelling?) in place.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh I also love those!

I'd just be concerned your stone would get swollowed up in a setting like that.

I wouldn't think the first BGD would.

And yes I think you could wear that with all sorts of bands. Matching. Pave on either side. One pave. I like the kind that's bead set with ribbons on either side. Like a classic ritani type .... a trinity ring (as the multi color golds would bring out the green)

You could solder them together. But I don't think you would have to. Seeing the separation is flattering I think.

Melvis

Rough_Rock
Thats the thing about those is that it would take a very bold stone to be able to hold its weight against the sides.. I am warming up to putting a double stack against the first one ... I'll have to show the BF that.. I think that might be fairly close as well :)

update: just saw that BG offers FINANCING! and a LIFETIME warranty hmmm custom may actually be within my reach if I can get the BF on board.. as long as he's not started something with a store.. lol.

ok.. so not really financing..as I've come to find out..as thats farmed out.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Melvis

Rough_Rock
yeah I think that those might be a nice alternative :) here's hoping I can get the bf on board. thanks for your help!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results