shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on this lab grown oval?

clpw

Rough_Rock
Hi guys! I'm new to this forum. Just embarking on the wonderful journey of picking out a diamond for my engagement ring, and i have my heart set on a lab grown oval - however, where I'm from the only lab growns available are round (which i find boring), so i have to shop online. Unfortunately that means i don't get to view the diamonds in person and with ovals and their propensity for unslightly bow-ties (i've seen horror stories on here abt bow-ties being a lot more prominent in person) i thought maybe i'd get some expert opinion before committing to a purchase.

I've been conversing with a private jeweller via email, and she sent me this option -

Big video - https://s3.amazonaws.com/lgdvideos/LG384922871.mp4
Diamond in tweazers - https://files.fm/f/8zc79ub8
Cert - https://www.igi.org/reports/verify-your-report?r=LG384922871

What dyou think of it? I love everything about it, and the way it sparkles, but i'm slightly concerned about the small bow-tie i can see.. it kinda resembles eyes?? which makes the diamond look kinda like a face to me. :D I don't know if i can un-see it ... Maybe i won't be able to see it in real life at actual size? I don't know. I've seen other options with way worse bow-ties so i know that this is a pretty solid choice as it stands, but i was just wondering what you guys might think of it.

So.. let me know! :)

Thank you in advance!

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome to the forum :)

Not an expert...

... but it's not bad for a 'classic' oval IMO.

There is not really a strong bow-tie as there's not a solid line of dark obstruction/contrast across the middle in the video - the dark facets showing contrast/obstruction move around as the stone moves, which is what you want ideally :)

It is, however, fair to say that the central band of facets is strong but the rest of the facets are somewhat less prominent - but that is fairly standard for a 'classic' oval. As long as there is not too much 'mush' away from the central band, the contrast between a defined central band and the rest of the stone should not be too marked.

It 'windows' a bit at tilt/rotation angles (goes see-through) as you can see in the video - it's not ideal but most 'classic' ovals seem to do that to some extent.

If you are open to considering a modern take on ovals, check out the August Vintage 'Elyque' oval and the 'vintage' oval - both are cut for excellent light performance in an oval cut, although they can face up smaller for a given carat weight due to the need to have a deep pavilion, :)

Last edited:

clpw

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your reply! :) I don't know if i'll be able to unsee the "eyes" in the diamond.. :/

Anyone can give me an opinion on this other diamond i've found on James Allen?

& Thank you for the August Vintage recommendation, unfortunately the Elyque ovals are a lil over my budget. :(

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for your reply! :) I don't know if i'll be able to unsee the "eyes" in the diamond.. :/

Anyone can give me an opinion on this other diamond i've found on James Allen?

& Thank you for the August Vintage recommendation, unfortunately the Elyque ovals are a lil over my budget. :(

That's pretty good for a 'classic' oval IMO - hasn't really got a bow-tie, chunky faceting without too much 'mush', bright and active, and it doesn't 'window' (go see-through) that much at tilt/rotation angles.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results