shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on this fancy vivid yellow?

Rrolack

Rough_Rock
I'm on a search for a fancy intense or fancy vivid yellow cushion, which would be set in a ring. In looking at rings a few weeks ago, 2.5 ct seemed like a nice size on my wife's finger (size 4).

After looking online a bit, I came across this stone:

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/fancy-color/yellow/cushion-cut/2.33-carat-vvs2-clarity-sku-288418

At least to my eye, the color on this one looks really nice. Though the diamond looks like it darkens somewhat when viewed head-on; I'm not sure if that's typical of cushions, or an issue with the particular stone.

Any thoughts on this one?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks pretty good, but I honestly prefer fancy yellow (or even fancy light yellow) over fancy vivid, and it might save some money, too. I would not pay $69k for that stone. It is only 7.4mm. Have you looked at Leibish?

PiratePete

Rough_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1459997606|4016443 said:
It looks pretty good, but I honestly prefer fancy yellow (or even fancy light yellow) over fancy vivid, and it might save some money, too. I would not pay $69k for that stone. It is only 7.4mm. Have you looked at Leibish?

I know almost nothing about colored gems. Just a quick search this one doesn't look too bad for the price difference. IF and almost 2 ct higher. Different color and shape though.

http://www.leibish.com/yellow-diamonds/fancy-intense-yellow-radiant-24766

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Quick example......very pretty yellow color, and look at the price compared to the one you posted! Plus, it is 8.9 x 7.6 mm.

http://www.leibish.com/yellow-diamonds/fancy-yellow-cushion-24515

Not saying it's the one I'd choose, but I just wanted to show you that you can get something with a beautiful color for much less than $69K. Fancy yellows can be set to enhance their color, too.

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
In speaking to many people, it's clear to me that there's quite a few that do prefer the lighter yellow tones.
But – fancy vivid yellow is a special case.
I would compare it to someone who wants a Porsche. They could buy a car that's just as fast for less money, but it just wouldn't be exactly the same.
Although the term "canary" is used for many diamonds – there are those who would argue that the only true canary is a fancy vivid yellow.
So it really depends more on the individual, and what they love.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For FCDs, colour is King so going for a fancy vivid is comparable to someone wanting a super ideal cut diamond. To suggest going for a fancy yellow over a vivid yellow is akin to suggesting a Good cut over an Ideal cut.

aftereffects15

Rough_Rock

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1460049622|4016618 said:
For FCDs, colour is King so going for a fancy vivid is comparable to someone wanting a super ideal cut diamond. To suggest going for a fancy yellow over a vivid yellow is akin to suggesting a Good cut over an Ideal cut.

... unless you (regardless of price) actually prefer the Fancy Yellow.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results