shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on this F with med blue fluorescence?

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
re: pavilion angles >40.9, I am perhaps labouring under the illusion that leakage can start to present itself and therefore potentially be an issue, but then I guess it is correct to say it is not an issue (or less of an issue) if the crown angle is complementary?
Shiny did you watch the videos with quite wide ranges of complimentary crown and pavilion angles?
I recall recent posts by Serg with what could be considered 'steep/deep' combos that risk 'ring of leakage' head-on in ASET but then perform nicely at tilt angles - I think it could be worth exploring the ranges of acceptable crown/pavilion angles (and their combinations) in an educational thread or one of the learning topics (if it has not already been done) as it would certainly help me! :)

Sergey makes an excellent argument for consumers buying and short sighted people. In this article http://www.gem.org.au/ckfinder/userfiles/files/GAA_Journal_V25_No3_web2(1).pdf which we published together in 2013 (which people will understand in 10 or 20 years) there is an excellent explanation of binocular vision effects. For a start if you look at the image below with one eye you hardly see any of the magic spots.
With a diamond when one eye sees a dark facet, and the other sees a bright facet at the exact same place this creates a sparkly brilliance that is not visible with one eye only.
My problem with Serg's arguement for deeper diamonds where the 'ring of death' leakage inside the table provides darkness and brightness for alternate eyes is that most diamond viewing is done from further away and the binocular rivalry is far less likely to happen as a result of the leakage effect.
To the contrary, this is why I prefer slightly shallower than Tolkowsky (but allowing for a range of inverse crown and pavilion angle effective proportion combinations). The ring of death is both visible from a distance AND reduces the overall brightness AND looks like crap when the diamond is dirty (dirt sticks diamond twice as well as any other earthly material).
Sergey argues that from a distance a shallow diamond star is always visible; like the bow tie effect in some marquise pear and ovals. But his own binary vision argument somewhat reduces that effect. For example, we see a persistent bowtie when we look at a marquise in the north south orientation. But if you turn the stone to east west you will only see the bowtie when you close one eye.
If any of you have a stone with a bowtie please try the experiment.

1579212632059.png

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Fire is not dependent on one variable only (e.g. LGFs) - you need to consider the other variables as well - table size, crown height, pavilion angle, total depth...

I think what you are expressing is the same frustration that many of us feel - how do we know we are getting a good diamond when we have seen so few?

It would be great if we could see a range of diamonds with different combinations of the different variables, to work out what we prefer, but it simply won't happen until/unless MMD become cheap enough that vendors can commission a 'sample set' of different options and then order custom cuts direct from the cutters. :(
We have done this more than a decade ago

1579214044970.png

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I'm so disappointed... Someone I've been emailing with says these are just computer generated....

Do not panic,
They are generated from a very accurate 3D scan of the outside of a diamond and the images created in DiamCalc which you may have seen me and Karl posting generated images often.
A lot of dealers and manufacturers use this process because it avoids scary inclusions in the upside down hearts view and it is easier to make an accurate image. It looks good BTW

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Apparently this is my diamond..... Somehow they were able to get me this ... I understand ASET better ..... Is this still a good choice???

@AV_ @Garry H (Cut Nut) @Karl_K @sledge @distracts

LD13344528.png

I think you are going to struggle to get better than that unless you go for a branded SuperIdeal - it looks about as good as it gets to my eyes.

Garry - thank you for your posts, I have to go to bed so will come back properly in the morning! :)

Krista Williams

Shiny_Rock
@OoohShiny are you from Toronto? I was looking at old posts and I saw something you posted from Instagram about Toronto. I'm in Kingston......

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium

jp201845

Brilliant_Rock
@OoohShiny are you from Toronto? I was looking at old posts and I saw something you posted from Instagram about Toronto. I'm in Kingston......

If you are close to Toronto reach out to Martin from USA Certed Diamonds he is based in Toronto and is a recommended vendor on this site. His prices are very good and he is very knowledgeable. He also has good reviews in the Testimonials section.

Krista Williams

Shiny_Rock
If you are close to Toronto reach out to Martin from USA Certed Diamonds he is based in Toronto and is a recommended vendor on this site. His prices are very good and he is very knowledgeable. He also has good reviews in the Testimonials section.

Im locked in with Blue Nile unfortunately... I traded a diamond in that I got two years ago, and it has already sold (or is on HOLD for someone)..... so I cant even get that back and ask another vendor to do a trade in for me.....

Reactions: AV_

AV_

Ideal_Rock
@Krista Williams I expect you could trade the F in for a H&A in the future, and get to see if there is a point.

Last edited:

AV_

Ideal_Rock

Krista Williams

Shiny_Rock
Blue Nile just finally sent me an email that they got my ring back and are processing that, so the F VVS2 from this thread hasnt left the vault yet.... the following diamond was just suggested to me..... it is more expensive, but I can do it, if its actually a better diamond then the F VVS2 from this thread...... thoughts????

blue-nile-diamond-reviews-LD12130947-gia-1328253864.jpg

this is it folks... .I have to pick one of these and move on with my life and enjoy my diamond LOL
@AV_ @Garry H (Cut Nut) @Karl_K @sledge @distracts @SimoneDi @whitewave

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Garry H (Cut Nut) your posts in this thread are so interesting and informative. You are a wealth of information, as always.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
Nice to see that much detail about the G, but I do prefer the F. The fluorescence is a great spice & I am impressed with the cut of the F - its contrast pattern seems perfect [from the video - a different test than the static reflector tools, but harsh too, IHMO, since missteps in the play of light become quite visible 'jolts'].

I am surprised to see the rough to cut images from Blue Nile; Fun!

Last edited:

Krista Williams

Shiny_Rock
I am surprised to see the rough to cut images from Blue Nile; Fun!

I didn't get them from Blue Nile. It's on 3 other websites.

2-0 so far! Waiting for a few more opinions before I confirm which diamond with Blue Nile.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry been sick as a dog the last few days.

Where did the computer generated H&A images come from on the F VVS2? BN? Just curious, as they normally do not provide any additional data.

I saw the data on the proposed G came from another vendor, although the same stone is also listed with BN.

Regardless, the F is more appealing to me and that is how I'm leaning. I don't see anything to make me think there are issues but I believe it's good practice to treat any stone with medium+ levels of fluor as if they could potentially be cloudy, milky or hazy. So I would ask BN to inspect the stone and confirm. Ask them to look in an array of lighting conditions including direct sunlight, indirect sunlight and indoor lighting.

According to GIA studies most issues are in strong or very strong levels so maybe I'm being overly cautious, but asking them to vet on your behalf takes little effort and helps firm up what looks like a great choice!

Krista Williams

Shiny_Rock
Sorry been sick as a dog the last few days.

Where did the computer generated H&A images come from on the F VVS2? BN? Just curious, as they normally do not provide any additional data.

It did come from BN. I think they just want to get rid of me hahaha. When I asked for the ASET after, she reminded me that they do not normally provide any images and they are happy the vault did that one for me.

I'm sorry you've been sick. My son was very sick with a fever of 104 last weekend. Not fun!!! Thanks for coming on and giving me your opinion. I really appreciate it!

SmartSelect_20200118-132420_Email.jpg

Krista Williams

Shiny_Rock
Hello everyone! As I'm sure you all know, I traded in a BN diamond and received the 1.05 H VS2. Didn't love it so I sent it back and now I'm looking at the 1.02 F VVS2.

I've been emailing with BN and just got an email letting me know that this will be the last exchange. So the F VVS2 will not come with a 30 day exchange period.

This stresses me out. Is there any reason to doubt this diamond? Will it have really great fire? I was confident on my decision to go with this diamond but now finding out there will be no option to exchange really freaks me out!

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hello everyone! As I'm sure you all know, I traded in a BN diamond and received the 1.05 H VS2. Didn't love it so I sent it back and now I'm looking at the 1.02 F VVS2.

I've been emailing with BN and just got an email letting me know that this will be the last exchange. So the F VVS2 will not come with a 30 day exchange period.

This stresses me out. Is there any reason to doubt this diamond? Will it have really great fire? I was confident on my decision to go with this diamond but now finding out there will be no option to exchange really freaks me out!

Why wouldn’t it come with an exchange period? I would ask to speak to a manager and push hard on the return/exchange period. Otherwise, no, I don’t think that there is a reason to doubt that the diamond will be a beautiful one, but I would also want to have a piece of mind, even if the exchange period is shorter (1-2 weeks).

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Why wouldn’t it come with an exchange period? I would ask to speak to a manager and push hard on the return/exchange period. Otherwise, no, I don’t think that there is a reason to doubt that the diamond will be a beautiful one, but I would also want to have a piece of mind, even if the exchange period is shorter (1-2 weeks).

Perhaps they only build in a certain number of exchanges (i.e. costs to them for shipping and insurance) into their pricing structure.

If they refuse to budge, perhaps an offer to pay for shipping one-/each-way as required might show commitment to purchasing and not 'taking the mickey' (which a number of returns could be perceived as by some).

Krista Williams

Shiny_Rock
I know I have clearly ticked BN off with asking for so many diamonds to be put on hold when picking out the 1.05 H VS2 that I just returned.

I asked about exchanges before I even ordered the H VS2.... They said (and I forwarded this to BN tonight)

"You will have a 30 day period to exchange. As long as it equal or greater value per the T&C thats no problem. We just cant refund and go back to the original diamond.

If you decide you do not like the second diamond- we can help you find another that you will. We wont be able to keep exchanging indefinitely- but you wont be stuck with your first or second choice if there is an issue with them"

A sales rep (not my normal diamond expert) wrote back saying I would have a 30 day exchange period.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know I have clearly ticked BN off with asking for so many diamonds to be put on hold when picking out the 1.05 H VS2 that I just returned.

I asked about exchanges before I even ordered the H VS2.... They said (and I forwarded this to BN tonight)

"You will have a 30 day period to exchange. As long as it equal or greater value per the T&C thats no problem. We just cant refund and go back to the original diamond.

If you decide you do not like the second diamond- we can help you find another that you will. We wont be able to keep exchanging indefinitely- but you wont be stuck with your first or second choice if there is an issue with them"

A sales rep (not my normal diamond expert) wrote back saying I would have a 30 day exchange period.

I would point them to third earlier response and indicate that you would accept nothing less. As a customer, you are allowed to change your mind and return and exchange a product per their standard policy. Regardless, please don’t worry terribly, the F is a gorgeous diamond and certainly better than the current H imo.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
No reason to doubt this stone. Fingers crossed!

[I understand that you do have the 30 day return; funny that anyone jmplied otherwise]

Krista Williams

Shiny_Rock
The Prestige Diamond Expert just emailed me and said I can have a two week window from the date the F VVS2 leaves their facility, should I not love it..... what happened to the email last night from the sales rep saying I will have the 30 days?

Fingers crossed that I love this diamond the second I see it and then I will never deal with BN again!!

KLE

Shiny_Rock
Hope you love it, good luck and post pictures when you get it!

diamondsR4eVR

Brilliant_Rock
GL! It sounds like a beautiful diamond.

mission1

Shiny_Rock
I guess you’ll know almost immediately whether you’re happy with it. Fingers crossed, but it looks lovely! =)2

To be fair to BN, each time you change your mind they incur the actual fixed cost of return, but then in addition there’s a cost to all the time spent by advisors on the phone or on chat to you through the selection and later stages, plus all the staff (processing) time to obtain and return. All of this eats into their nett margins. Their business model is competitiveness via online platform with streamlined staff intervention....and you get the benefit of this in the pricing. To get additional and ongoing support above this comes at a higher price (e.g. other retailers/retail methods), so personally I can understand why they might try to draw this to a close at some point.

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results