shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on this emerald

ElleElle

Shiny_Rock
Hi all, I don’t know a lot about emeralds and I’m asking for a friend. She’s wondering if this stone is worth pursuing? Or where in So Cal she can go to purchase one. Thanks! EF2C1D33-2DA9-45EB-965B-109387B6E8C8.jpeg

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No the stone is not worth pursuing as the level of treatment is too significant as per the report.

There's a risk that the treatment (oil) could dry out and leave the stone looking ugly.

Last edited:

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
F3 and still looks untreated (!) = no go for me. I suspect the price is terrific. Imagine what it must have looked like before the treatment.

Is F3 for emeralds like I3 for diamonds? Meaning it can not go any lower so it can be practically anything...?

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
F3 and still looks untreated (!) = no go for me. I suspect the price is terrific. Imagine what it must have looked like before the treatment.

Is F3 for emeralds like I3 for diamonds? Meaning it can not go any lower so it can be practically anything...?

My understanding would be that the F grades are for the level and types of treatments, whereas the IF - I3 for diamonds addresses the inclusions. But I could be wrong!

Avondale

Brilliant_Rock
My understanding would be that the F grades are for the level and types of treatments, whereas the IF - I3 for diamonds addresses the inclusions. But I could be wrong!

The two actually correlate to a degree. When an emerald is oiled, the oil can only penetrate the stone through surface reaching fractures. Significant oil - F3 means that the emerald has far more inclusions than an F1 emerald.

Of course, the emerald can have other internal inclusions, but F3 definitely indicates there are a lot more clarity issues than can be seen with the eye.

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I mean that where there is nothing lower, the grade says very little. Not much difference between a "high F" and an F in Chemistry -- there's still nothing worse than an F.

voce

Ideal_Rock
I agree with the other posters about this particular emerald. To answer your other question, try Gemfix in San Diego. I hear they have a brick and mortar store, and their prices and quality generally seem to be good. Your friend should check out what they have.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results