shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on this ebay item

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think its really beautiful! Doesnt seem like a steal but doesnt seem all that badly priced either.

megumic

Brilliant_Rock
Needs more specs. (Also, are you a troll???? Just saying....)

chupiechow

Rough_Rock
What is a troll??

Ninama

Brilliant_Rock
I saw your post over on Antique & Vintage and went straight over to Old World Diamonds to see what they had. I got so caught up in e-window shopping that by the time I was done, someone else had already referred you there!

I'm not in any way an experienced diamond shopper (I've only ever purchase one diamond, and I let Ari at Single Stone pick it out!), but I can tell you that one of the things I hear most about purchasing old cut diamonds is the importance of seeing them in person. The images in that listing are pretty fuzzy and the color may not even be %100 accurate, either.

They do offer a 7 day money back policy, though!

P.S. A "troll" is a person who is on a mission to conflict on message boards, so I don't understand the reference here.

Ninama

Brilliant_Rock
You might compare the photos in the eBay listing to these nice crisp ones (from Lang's), which seem significantly more revealing.

http://www.langantiques.com/products/item/10-1-2738 (pretty ring!)

The 2.18 ct OEC is an M and it's "M-ness" is most apparent in profile. I think there are crafty settings that can keep the warmth somewhat concealed.

chupiechow

Rough_Rock
I hadn't seen that one and trust me I have been searching. Question would a M VVS2 look whiter than an M SII. I am looking at this one on JBEG and it seems like a good price, I just wish it were a K or L. http://jewelsbyericagrace.smugmug.com/Jewelry/Rings-Antique-diamonds/205ct-Loose-Old-Mine-Cut/16169432_dqTrK#1214289505_uQ6aw

I have worked with Ari in the past, he is wonderfully responsive and very good with his descriptions!
BTW I am not up on all the internet lingo and thought the troll comment was odd, thanks for clearing up the internet definition!

Ninama

Brilliant_Rock
Again, not coming from experience - I have a feeling other factors come into play. The cut and how it affects light performance... and I've read here that flourescence can somewhat influence the impression of whiteness in a diamond - although I'm not sure if it would when you're that deep into the alphabet. I hope someone someone who knows will pipe in!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
chupiechow|1307626394|2941574 said:
I hadn't seen that one and trust me I have been searching. Question would a M VVS2 look whiter than an M SII. I am looking at this one on JBEG and it seems like a good price, I just wish it were a K or L. http://jewelsbyericagrace.smugmug.com/Jewelry/Rings-Antique-diamonds/205ct-Loose-Old-Mine-Cut/16169432_dqTrK#1214289505_uQ6aw

I have worked with Ari in the past, he is wonderfully responsive and very good with his descriptions!
BTW I am not up on all the internet lingo and thought the troll comment was odd, thanks for clearing up the internet definition!

Hi,

Not sure about the Jewelsbyericagrace ring, but it does come with a GIA certificate. Looks like the ebay one is "appraised," but it doesn't say it's by an independant person. For all we know, that company appraised it (unless I missed something in the listing) so the stone could be off by a few color grades - could be an L or an M! (I wouldn't spend $16K on a ring w/out an independant appraisal!)

maplefemme

Brilliant_Rock
There's an OMC on ebay (not mine - I wish) it's 1.86 H VVS @ $7,950. No cert. so stats are not for sure, but it's looking very untinted on my monitor. Try searching for "2.16 Antique Cushion Diamond" to find it, it ends soon though, no bids yet.
I also found a couple of gorgeous 5 and 6ct whoppers I'd LOVE to have...alas! :cry:

GalaxyGirl

Rough_Rock
Trade
Links to the 5 and 6 carats, pleeease! :D

maplefemme

Brilliant_Rock
GalaxyGirl|1307646571|2941855 said:
Links to the 5 and 6 carats, pleeease! :D

I just got my Mac, if someone can tell me how to cut and paste on this baby it would be great!

But in the meantime here's the slowpoke way of posting them - you'll have to do a bit of searching but here goes and I'm writing them as they are listed:

Seller - rjgfinejewelry
Item # 400215570038
4.99 carat antique cushion cut diamond platinum ring

Seller - edrury
Item # 120729536932
Antique 6.06ct old cut diamond solitare ring- platinum
*Take a look at the youtube clip on the listing - WOW :love:

And this next one has me totally intrigued as to how they cut the stone because the setting is hexagonal and no room to hide a round under the milgrain so did they grind it down to make it fit the setting?

Seller - melonypino
Item # 230594156842
Deco 1.63ct euro diamond ruby engagement ring 1940

Almost forgot this lovely piece:

Seller - diamonddr16
Item # 320676163029
Platinum art deco miner cushion cut diamond ring

If I had the spare change they'd be mine! Well, a tad more than spare change ;-)

chupiechow

Rough_Rock
drdiamonds is one of my favorite sellers, I LOVE their inventory!

maplefemme

Brilliant_Rock
Oh yes, they have some really nice pieces come up don't they? I don't know why I'm searching on there, we just bought a lovely OEC, I just love the diversity of these old cuts, each has it's own quirky personality...

There's an old 2.85 cushion from doverjewelry on there also. It's listed as 4.36 (tcw) the setting is a really ugly duckling but dismantled, could be something special maybe...

chupiechow

Rough_Rock
Oh my I am so watching that one (from Dover). I thought the same thing about the setting! I will more than likely get outbid, I always do.

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
Maplefemme: Command C - Copy, Command V- paste and Command X- Cut

maplefemme

Brilliant_Rock
chupiechow|1307659443|2942016 said:
Oh my I am so watching that one (from Dover). I thought the same thing about the setting! I will more than likely get outbid, I always do.

Any luck chupiechow?! It went for a nice price, I'd love to see it reconfigured, I think it has great potential, those kite cut sides were interesting too.

Thank you momofive :wavey:

chupiechow

Rough_Rock
No Luck, my max bid was 7200. I put it in and then forgot to got back and check on it. It went for 7300.

maplefemme

Brilliant_Rock
chupiechow|1307917302|2944260 said:
No Luck, my max bid was 7200. I put it in and then forgot to got back and check on it. It went for 7300.

Oh no ;(
Do you snipe your bids chupie? I find that the easiest and most effective way to bid ;))

chupiechow

Rough_Rock
No I don't but I just looked it up and that's a great idea. Thanks for the info :twirl:

maplefemme

Brilliant_Rock
I use ezsniper always, for a few reasons, it allows me to bid and either change my bid to higher or lower or cancel it altogether if I change my mind. You can't do that on ebay.
Also, no one knows you are bidding (though I always assume someone is also going to use snipe, and most often they do) when you place a bid on ebay regularly, everyone knows they haven't bid enough and just keep bidding up til they reach your max and outbid you, it merely ups the selling price and if they are willing to pay a buck more than you you have lost the item.
At least this way you bid the maximum you ever intended (not that you pay the max. if the bids don't go that high) you aren't trying to bid in those last few seconds and you never miss the end because something in life/work comes up to pull you away from the computer.

Good luck! ;))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results