shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on this diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

JStevens

Rough_Rock
After my first posts here I went out to a couple local jewelery store to really compare diamonds and get a much better idea of what I want to buy. I also read almost every thread from the past week here in the rocky talk. So I have an idea, but I wanted other opinions.

A store I walked into this morning and gave me the following offer:

Shape: Round
Carat: 0.81
Color: F
Clarity: VS2
Cert: GIA (June 24, 2004)
Depth: 60.9
Table: 57
Measurements: 6.02-6.06 x 3.68mm
Price: $3,700

For informational purposes the setting will be something similar to this:
http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/settings-with-sidestones.asp?module=setting&cid=58&item=875

So, 1) Is this a good deal? 2) Is there another way to assess the cut because I don''t have crown and pavilion angles for the HCA? and finally 3) Is the fact the cert is two and a half years old a problem?

JStevens

Rough_Rock
Is there another way to evaluate the cut without an ideal scope or sarin? I ask because I don''t know how easily I will be able to ascertain them.

Finding_Neverland

Shiny_Rock
Maybe you could arrange with the B&M to ship the diamond to one of the PS approved appraisers that performs those services?? Or maybe you live near one, where it would just be a trip across town??

You could pay for the diamond to be sent, I believe it''s Registered, Insured mail. And the appraisal, of course. But then you''d have the opinion of a trained expert in the field, in addition to the test results.

Just a thought for you.

tanalasta

Shiny_Rock
Premium
For a stone graded in 2004 without the Sarin data, I would recommend you request the crown/pavillion angles.

Or ask for the stone to be resubmitted to grading to AGS.

You could play around on the DCA with 'potential' crown/pavillion/depth combinations given those dimensions but there's no firm way of telling without a machine. Even 'eyeballing' a stone is only an approximate.

Idealscope would be nice! The IS is such a simple invention and although it's no ray tracing ... it's a good screening tool.

The other thing with a stone graded in 2004 is that it's somebody else's 'tradein' for an upgrade. Does it mean anything to you to be the 'first and only consumer' to purchase it for a setting?

JStevens

Rough_Rock
Tanalasta, good point about the trade in, I never thought about that. I''ll have to ask, but I would be surprised that there was a trade in already 2 and a half years later. Also, when did GIA start evaluating cut, because I was looking at some recent reports from GIA and they have a cut grade and I do not remember seeing one on this time.

Finding, I am going to see about getting it appraised, there''s a PS appraiser about 30 minutes from my house. How much does that usually cost?

Lastly, is there something better than this stone online available for this price? I saw the first stone that JulieN originally posted, but it didn''t have excellent polish and symmetry.

Finding_Neverland

Shiny_Rock
I saw another post where someone mentioned a $130 appraisal fee. So maybe figure roughly $150 or so. But you could always call and ask to know for sure.

Here''s one. One color grade lower but very well cut:

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamond.asp?b=16&a=12&c=77&cid=131&item=895835

With an Ideal Scope image already available for you. Scores very well on the Cut Adviser too.

JStevens

Rough_Rock
How does James Allen H&A Ideal compare to WF''s ACA?

tanalasta

Shiny_Rock
Premium
GIA started grading cut early 2006.

As long as the symmetry and polish is ''very good'' or above (excellent) you should be alright. The difference in a VG polish/symmetry makes less of a difference than finding an ideal cut. With a total depth of 60%, either the girdle is thin or the stone may be ''slightly shallow'' - of course ... I have a shallow stone too and it''s a matter of personal preference.

Have a look on whiteflash.com for ACA or expert selection stones.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results