shape
carat
color
clarity

thoughts on this diamond?

fair75

Rough_Rock
Personally, I wouldn't get the diamond you linked in your post. It has almost all the numbers outside the ideal ranges and it will most likely have some serious light performance issues. Also if you run the HCA (a rejection tool), you can see that it gets an HCA score of 4, which most people on this forum will automatically weed out. I recommend that you select diamonds that fall in the ideal ranges and request idealscope/ASET scope images if you can. The following is what I prefer:

Table: 53 - 58% (54 - 57% preferred)
Depth: 60 - 61.9%
Crown angle: 34 to 35 degrees
Pavilion angle: 40.6 - 40.8 degrees
Lower girdle length: 75 - 80% (75 to 77% would have bold fire while 80% is optimized for pin-fire)
Star length: 45 - 50%
girdle thickness: 3 - 3.5% (If all the other numbers are great, I wouldn't disregard 4% thickness right away. But just know that 4% girdle thickness would slightly reduce the spread of the diamond)

What kind of diamonds are you looking for in terms of color and clarity? What kind of budget are you working with? What kind of setting do you have in mind? An ideal-cut H or I color diamond with a good idealscope/ASET scope will look whiter than their graded color and will look very white in the white gold or platinum setting. VS1 in eye clean in most cases, but if all you want is an eye-clean diamond, you can cheery pick an eye-clean SI1 stone if you have access to photos/videos. It's fairly easy to select eye-clean SI1, or even SI2 diamonds (much harder) on JA if you spend some time looking for them. If you aren't sure, call JA and ask for their opinion. And you can also link the diamonds on here so people can help you as well. However, if you have cultural or personal reasons for selecting high-clarity diamonds, then that's a different story.

grviwi

Rough_Rock
I spend so much time on the laptop looking at these that my other half is wondering what I am doing as I won't show her what I am looking at. I am sure plenty have been through that but is getting to be kind of an issue. I asked a consultant to recommend a diamond and that last was they put up but I knew from looking on here that it was not in the parameters. I had asked for a reason why but haven't got an answer yet.

My budget is ~$14k-$16k with a 6 prong platinum solitaire setting.

1.6ct at least but preferably above 1.7ct.

Color: G-I

Clarity: SI1 - VS2 eyeclean

Recommendations would be a great help - don't want to pull the trigger and regret it.

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You have a healthy budget for what you're looking for so that's good!

You could maximize size by going with James Allen or other places without the "super ideal" distinction that would still be a knock out stone....example:

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.86-carat-i-color-vvs2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-1859017

Or go with a smaller super ideal stone like this:
http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3496145.htm

Lots of people here love and recommend the Vatche U-113, which is just like the Tiffany solitaire....http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/6-prong-solitaire-engagement-ring-by-vatche-1778.htm

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond-search/1.65-platinum_select_round-EX-GIA-H-SI1-diamond-stock-14301-cert-

grviwi

Rough_Rock
Appreciate the assistance, makes it a lot easier.

If I went with the Vatche U-113, I assume that restricts the diamond vendor as it looks like it is not offered on James Allen? If I was to go with that setting, which vendors should I be looking at? Would rather get it from one place.

How does this James Allen one compare to the Vatche U-113 or is there a better James Allen Tiffany type setting?
https://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/platinum-six-prong-knife-edged-solitaire-engagement-ring-item-2426

There is only a $470 difference between settings so would go with the higher quality one.

If I was to go for a slightly higher carat - say 1.8, what would I compromise on for that extra size but still a knockout ring with a Platinum U-113? She indicated she would go with a slightly bigger size over other things. Budget for the stone only is now around $15K plus a $1800 setting.

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3496145.htm plus the U-113?? Is there a bigger size for a similar price?

grviwi

Rough_Rock
Nearly there

Can I just bump the above post as I am so close to making a decision.

Wanting advice on whether I should go with the Vatche U-113 platinum setting and if so, am I constrained to a Whiteflash diamond?
https://www.pricescope.com/jewelry/engagement-rings/platinum-vatche-u-113-6-prong-solitaire-engagement-ring-1056

Is this James Allen setting similar to the Vatche U-113 so I could look there as well?
https://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/platinum-six-prong-knife-edged-solitaire-engagement-ring-item-2426

Assuming I went with the higher quality one (Vatche), what is the best diamond for the size in the platinum setting for ~$15k from Whiteflash tending to >1.7ct with a preference for 1.8ct.

farrahlyn

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Yes, if you go with the Vatche from WF, you will have to choose a WF stone, they will not set an outside stone. IDJewelry carries the Vatche setting and they are highly regarded here for selecting beautiful stones within budget. It would be beneficial to give them a call and see what they can get within your price range. Just mention that you are looking for a Pricescope quality diamond.

WF has some beautiful ACA diamonds within your price range. I'm having problems with their site loading right now so can't link you to any. Just to clarify, is $15k your all in budget or just for the diamond?

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Nearly there

grviwi|1467899890|4052517 said:
Can I just bump the above post as I am so close to making a decision.

Wanting advice on whether I should go with the Vatche U-113 platinum setting and if so, am I constrained to a Whiteflash diamond?
https://www.pricescope.com/jewelry/engagement-rings/platinum-vatche-u-113-6-prong-solitaire-engagement-ring-1056

Is this James Allen setting similar to the Vatche U-113 so I could look there as well?

Assuming I went with the higher quality one (Vatche), what is the best diamond for the size in the platinum setting for ~$15k from Whiteflash tending to >1.7ct with a preference for 1.8ct.

IDJ also carries Vatche and could source you an amazing center stone, bigger than what you'll get at WF. It won't be a branded cut but Yekutiel would provide IS/ASET imaging which you could post here and get feedback for. However, IDJ is currently closed for the diamond distrcit's annual summer holiday but will be back on Monday, July 11th. They may also be able to offer a discount for getting the setting/diamond from them.

To answer your question, that James Allen setting is a nice one (one of the nicer solitaires they have, not cheap like some of the others).

If you want to go with Whiteflash, these are the stones that look nice for 15k and maximizing size. Note, I've included some J colored diamonds which I wouldn't personally go for, but you asked what you could sacrifice to get the size you want.

ETA: WF site seems to be down right now so I couldn't link any diamonds. When it come back up I'll come back with some suggestions, if someone hasn't beat me to it.

Btw, did you put a hold on the first JA diamond? It says unavailable now. IDJ could sometimes call in stones that are listed on various diamond drop shipper websites.

grviwi

Rough_Rock
~$15k just the diamond, I understand the setting is an additional $1,800.

Appreciate it

grviwi

Rough_Rock
No I didn't commit to anything yet or put a hold but are close. I noticed that one was gone last night.

grviwi

Rough_Rock
really appreciate you taking the time to help out.

I will call IDJ on Monday and also go through these.

grviwi

Rough_Rock
That is food for thought.

Have been doing a Google search to find out what a non branded cut means?

Can you point me to an explanation? I assume VS2 is still possibly eyeclean?

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The branded super ideal diamonds...the stones from WF, Brian Gavin, GOG, CBI, Victor Canera.

Some people love knowing they have a precision cut and the ease of picking a stone from inventory since they're all super ideal and others love the additional size they get by hunting down a non-branded diamond within ideal parameters and with excellent light return (confirmed by IS/ASET).

grviwi

Rough_Rock
Would appreciate thoughts on these please

2.15ct Excellent I VS2 No Fluorescence

2.01ct Excellent I VS2 Strong Fluorescence

1814913.jpg

1873859.jpg

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Those are both really nice, with the first being slightly better because of the consistent concentrated red in the center! The second isn't as concentrated but doesn't have glaringly leaky areas so I don't think there would be much of a noticeable difference. Could you link the stones so we could see the photo/video and numbers? Put them on hold first because we have lurkers who snatch up stones all the time!

Eta: I slightly prefer the "look" of the second, first looks like it might be a 60/60 stone but I'll wait until you post the stones to make my judgement :bigsmile: I also love fluorescence!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results