shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on this diamond?

LoveMeDo

Shiny_Rock
Hello,

I want to upgrade my ring from 1.6 to 2 carats, and my jeweler is telling me that this diamond is a great choice. The problem is that it doesn't rate well on HCA. Can someone please give their thoughts on the below?

Carat: 2.01
Color: I
Clarity: SI1

Depth: 62%
Table: 65%
Crown: 12.5%
Pavilion: 44.1%

Medium to Thick
Cutlet: None
Polish: Very Good
Symmetry: Very Good
Fluorescence: None

Here are the stats on my current ring:

Carat: 1.6
Color: H
Clarity: SI2

Depth: 61.7%
Table: 58%
Crown: 14.9%
Pavilion: 42.4%

SL Thick to Thick

LoveMeDo

Shiny_Rock
Also, it is EGL USA, $11,900

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Who assigned the colour/clarity grades on your current stone - EGL-USA, EGL-I, someone else? We have many examples to show that EGL tends to grade loosely on colour and clarity compared to GIA or AGS, but if your stone is an EGL H then loose colour grading on this one may not present such a large downgrade, visually

Numbers, EGL-USA - well, I'll be honest, definitely not my pick, that's for sure. You've seen it IRL - what did you think? Have them clean it, and compare it and your current stone and as many other stones of similar size as possible in different types of lights - in the spotlights, sure, then go beside a window and compare in direct sunlight, in the diffuse white back office lights, in the dimness under a desk. See what your eyes think. Then smudge it with fingerprints and skin oils and compare again. Put it on a brightly coloured piece of paper and see if you can see right through it. Also check and see if the stone is eyeclean to your requirements in these various lights - sometimes it's easier to see inclusions in some light types than others.

Blue Nile lists GIA 2ct 'very good' cut I SI1s starting at over 19k, 'good' cut 17k and up, 'excellent' cut 20k and up. So you can be absolutely certain that this stone is not a 'very good', or 'excellent cut' 2ct I SI1 by GIA's standards - not even close.

Value for money - is a different question, depending on what you are looking for. Not everyone wants a vg or ex cut I SI1 by GIA's standards - if your primary motivation is size, say, this might well fit the bill!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LoveMeDo|1309296445|2957307 said:
Hello,

I want to upgrade my ring from 1.6 to 2 carats, and my jeweler is telling me that this diamond is a great choice. The problem is that it doesn't rate well on HCA. Can someone please give their thoughts on the below?

Carat: 2.01
Color: I
Clarity: SI1

Depth: 62%
Table: 65%
Crown: 12.5%
Pavilion: 44.1%
Medium to Thick
find yourself another jeweler.. :rolleyes: ..big table,flat top,deep bottom half... :knockout: :knockout:

LoveMeDo

Shiny_Rock
Thank you both - your help is much appreciated!! :D

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results