shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on this diamond! Help me choose please

Alexander33

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone! I’m looking for a fire cracker and stuck on a couple options! I would really apperciate any input!

I have 3 to choose from

42C3F090-62DF-4DF3-A154-731B635E1B3B.jpeg CDB2C443-8FC3-4B4E-835E-04B68A36814F.jpeg

Attachments

• 13404992-75EB-4D32-922A-219E6520A401.jpeg
    13404992-75EB-4D32-922A-219E6520A401.jpeg
    187.8 KB · Views: 7
  • 1D44E2DE-8C62-436F-A13F-BEDE01B0F03C.jpeg
    1D44E2DE-8C62-436F-A13F-BEDE01B0F03C.jpeg
    205 KB · Views: 6
  • B63B4555-566E-48A6-8360-192292FDDAD4.jpeg
    B63B4555-566E-48A6-8360-192292FDDAD4.jpeg
    217 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
This is a prime example of the stringent vetting that WF diamonds undergo. They all look amazing and nearly indistinguishable from one another!

I'd probably lean towards one with the slightly steeper crown angle, but that is just an "in my brain" thing, as any of these will have outstanding light performance.

You could just as easily write each one on a scrap of paper, put them in a hat, close your eyes and pick one, and be stoked about the result left to random chance.

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
They are all beautiful. If you prefer contrast, I’d pick the middle one. If you prefer brightness, I’d pick the one on the right.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
First off, go put your favorite or all 3 on reserve so no one “snipes” them out from under you.

I went to look at the WF videos. To me the 1.513 and 1.628 seemed more firey than the 1.63 in the sparkle videos.

Also I noticed there is roughly $1,000 jump between each stone. So the 1.628 costs $1k more and the 1.63 costs $2k more than the 1.513.

Spread is nearly identical in the 1.628 and 1.630 which is expected given how close the proportions are on all these stones. Essentially both measure nearly 7.55mm. The 1.513 measures slightly smaller at 7.40mm but it’s not drastic IMO.

I struggle to see a distinct advantage for the 1.630. It offers no size increase. It isn’t more firey and it costs the most. So I would personally eliminate that one.

For me, the tougher decision is between the 1.513 and the 1.628. To my eyes, the 1.513 sparkle video looks more lively than the 1.628 but it’s close. Also I appreciate the small size increase in spread of the 1.628, although it’s not likely noticeable except in a side by side comparison. I also prefer the contrast of the 1.628, which is visible from the WF website photos and also the ones your SA took separately in the comparison.

All factors considered, I like the 1.628 best. It offers amazing fire, nice size, the best contrast and appears to be a middle ground on budget.

Alexander33

Rough_Rock
This is a prime example of the stringent vetting that WF diamonds undergo. They all look amazing and nearly indistinguishable from one another!

I'd probably lean towards one with the slightly steeper crown angle, but that is just an "in my brain" thing, as any of these will have outstanding light performance.

You could just as easily write each one on a scrap of paper, put them in a hat, close your eyes and pick one, and be stoked about the result left to random chance.

@DejaWiz thank you! Which one would you pick?

Last edited:

Alexander33

Rough_Rock
Last edited:

Alexander33

Rough_Rock
First off, go put your favorite or all 3 on reserve so no one “snipes” them out from under you.

I went to look at the WF videos. To me the 1.513 and 1.628 seemed more firey than the 1.63 in the sparkle videos.

Also I noticed there is roughly $1,000 jump between each stone. So the 1.628 costs $1k more and the 1.63 costs $2k more than the 1.513.

Spread is nearly identical in the 1.628 and 1.630 which is expected given how close the proportions are on all these stones. Essentially both measure nearly 7.55mm. The 1.513 measures slightly smaller at 7.40mm but it’s not drastic IMO.

I struggle to see a distinct advantage for the 1.630. It offers no size increase. It isn’t more firey and it costs the most. So I would personally eliminate that one.

For me, the tougher decision is between the 1.513 and the 1.628. To my eyes, the 1.513 sparkle video looks more lively than the 1.628 but it’s close. Also I appreciate the small size increase in spread of the 1.628, although it’s not likely noticeable except in a side by side comparison. I also prefer the contrast of the 1.628, which is visible from the WF website photos and also the ones your SA took separately in the comparison.

All factors considered, I like the 1.628 best. It offers amazing fire, nice size, the best contrast and appears to be a middle ground on budget.

@sledge Wow thank you for this response! This is so detailed and helpful!

would you worry about the feather on the girdle of the 1.628 or clouds not shown?

Last edited:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I honestly can hardly tell the difference between them. The sizes will look the same IRL so I would likely choose the cheapest one since all are amazing

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
I honestly can hardly tell the difference between them. The sizes will look the same IRL so I would likely choose the cheapest one since all are amazing

This would be my stance, as well.
Given WF's amazing upgrade program, I would rest well knowing that the money I saved today would be given back 100% on any future upgrades...and be elated that they would be WF diamonds!

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@sledge Wow thank you for this response! This is so detailed and helpful!

would you worry about the feather on the girdle of the 1.628 or clouds not shown?

You’re very welcome. Glad it helped. :cool2:

If you noticed, the feather is listed 4th from the top. The order of each inclusion is important. AGS lists top to bottom with the very top inclusion being what we call the grade setting inclusion, or “worst”. As you go down the list the severity of the inclusion is less.

On GIA, they do similar except they read left to right with the far left (no pun intended, lol) being the “worst” inclusion and those further to the right as less severe.

The above said, in your case we are talking VS1 clarity so I have no concerns whatsoever. On top of stellar clarity, the feather is the 4th and least impactful inclusion. The clouds and surface graining not shown in the notes is not of concern either. It’s so minute they didn’t plot.

There is a nasty little note everyone should be concerned about that “clarity is based on clouds not shown”. That likely means the stone is hazy and has transparency issues.

Many people get these subtle differences in the notes mixed up. Just to reaffirm, neither the feather or clouds note on the 1.628 is of any concern. Rather this is simply part of their personality.

Alexander33

Rough_Rock
You’re very welcome. Glad it helped. :cool2:

If you noticed, the feather is listed 4th from the top. The order of each inclusion is important. AGS lists top to bottom with the very top inclusion being what we call the grade setting inclusion, or “worst”. As you go down the list the severity of the inclusion is less.

On GIA, they do similar except they read left to right with the far left (no pun intended, lol) being the “worst” inclusion and those further to the right as less severe.

The above said, in your case we are talking VS1 clarity so I have no concerns whatsoever. On top of stellar clarity, the feather is the 4th and least impactful inclusion. The clouds and surface graining not shown in the notes is not of concern either. It’s so minute they didn’t plot.

There is a nasty little note everyone should be concerned about that “clarity is based on clouds not shown”. That likely means the stone is hazy and has transparency issues.

Many people get these subtle differences in the notes mixed up. Just to reaffirm, neither the feather or clouds note on the 1.628 is of any concern. Rather this is simply part of their personality.

This is so amazing! Thank you! my goal is to have a diamond that is a firecracker that you can see sparkle across the room even next to other ACA

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
@Alexander33
There is a one point seven five three H vee ess two that I want you to take a look at (I'm not posting the link so it doesn't get sniped by a lurker).

It is approx 0.2mm bigger in diameter than the 1.6 class diamonds that you are asking about.
Be sure to check out the brilliance video to determine if you would be OK with the subtle color tint...and keep in mind that WF will take care of you with their outstanding return/exchange policy.

Notice the LGF and crown angle...that's a recipe for some nice chunky fire!

Alexander33

Rough_Rock
@Alexander33
There is a one point seven five three H vee ess two that I want you to take a look at (I'm not posting the link so it doesn't get sniped by a lurker).

It is approx 0.2mm bigger in diameter than the 1.6 class diamonds that you are asking about.
Be sure to check out the brilliance video to determine if you would be OK with the subtle color tint...and keep in mind that WF will take care of you with their outstanding return/exchange policy.

Notice the LGF and crown angle...that's a recipe for some nice chunky fire!

@DejaWiz dThank you soo much!Omg that’s a show stopper!!!! I wish the color was higher she is extremely sensitive to color! Lol I wonder if they have that in a F or G

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
@DejaWiz dThank you soo much!Omg that’s a show stopper!!!! I wish the color was higher she is extremely sensitive to color! Lol I wonder if they have that in a F or G

What is your max budget for just the diamond, if you don't mind sharing that info?

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
@DejaWiz Of course $21,000

Here are some others to check out:

1.754 G VS1 but about $500 over budget
...appears to be a low G color (closer to F)
...34.8° CA, 40.8° PA, and 77% LGF

1.703 G VS1 around $150 under budget
...appears to be a high G (closer to H)
...34.7° CA, 40.9° PA, and 76% LGF

1.520 F VS2 around $2500 under budget
...comparable to the 1.513 F VS1
...34.7° CA, 40.7° PA, and 76% LGF

If none of these strike your fancy, then I would say it comes down to deciding between the 1.513 and 1.628 that you originally mentioned.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
What kind of setting are you going with?
...white, rose, or yellow (or other)
...prong, bezel, or tension
...regular or halo

Reason why I ask is because the color and style of the setting can play a massive role in determining what the best route is in terms of diamond color grade.
For example, a super ideal which displays the best light return in a white gold setting means that most H-I colors will be just fine.
Another example is up to an I-J color for yellow gold setting.
Of course, personal preference plays the biggest role, and I've seen posts regarding D-F super ideals looking absolutely stunning in a yellow gold setting!

Just some food for thought, since the cut quality of a excellent/ideal symmetry super ideal leads to maximum light return and performance in an MRB, and can allow some forgiveness in choosing color grades.

However, I also know that color sensitivity *is* color sensitivity: my wife was quickly able to determine an H from an E looking at them face-up in direct sunlight from about a foot away. Her color sensitivity ended up cost me about $1000 more for a better color grade! :lol:

Last edited:

Alexander33

Rough_Rock
Here are some others to check out:

1.754 G VS1 but about $500 over budget
...appears to be a low G color (closer to F)
...34.8° CA, 40.8° PA, and 77% LGF

1.703 G VS1 around $150 under budget
...appears to be a high G (closer to H)
...34.7° CA, 40.9° PA, and 76% LGF

1.520 F VS2 around $2500 under budget
...comparable to the 1.513 F VS1
...34.7° CA, 40.7° PA, and 76% LGF

If none of these strike your fancy, then I would say it comes down to deciding between the 1.513 and 1.628 that you originally mentioned.

@DejaWiz you’re so awesome wow thank you soooo much!!! I’m going to ask to see those do you have a preference from the ones I choose and the ones you put on there like best firecracker if you will lol!
She wants a halo white gold

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
@DejaWiz you’re so awesome wow thank you soooo much!!! I’m going to ask to see those do you have a preference from the ones I choose and the ones you put on there like best firecracker if you will lol!
She wants a halo white gold

My recommendation for an MRB that leans fiery (fiery balanced light orange column to the right of the green column) would be to stick as close as possible to the following CA-PA combos listed in this handy-dandy chart that Garry Holloway whipped up a while back.
Usually, you can safely give or take a couple/few 0.1° for the CA for a given PA.
Although, most folks here would NOT recommend going above a 35.5° CA for a 40.6° PA, and even that would be pushing it above the max recommended CA of 35°.

PA and CA range chart.jpg

Last edited:

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
I would also like to suggest you reach out to WF and see if they can mock up the 1.753 H mentioned earlier into a WG halo setting similar to what you plan on buying and provide pictures and a rotational video...just to see if a probable color sensitivity issue would exist with such a combo.

Alexander33

Rough_Rock
I would also like to suggest you reach out to WF and see if they can mock up the 1.753 H mentioned earlier into a WG halo setting similar to what you plan on buying and provide pictures and a rotational video...just to see if a probable color sensitivity issue would exist with such a combo.

Thank you so much! I can’t express my gratitude. I think the 1.628C will work I hope that combo makes it’s a fire cracker her wishes were F or higher, no clouds and a fire cracker (blinding) ahahah I hope this angles do it :/ @DejaWiz

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results