shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on this diamond from JamesAllen?

br0ok1ynb0i

Rough_Rock
Hi Everyone.

I'm a first time buyer and have been reading and researching diamonds for the past few months. I recently joined this forum in hopes to learn more about choosing the right diamond.

I'm looking at something close to this:
Style: Round
Carat: Close to 1
Color: G or better
Cut: Ideal+
Clarity: SI2 (eye-clean)

Would love to stick to a budget of 4.5k but can push it up to 5k.

I came across this diamond which seems alright but scored a HCA of 4.
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.04-carat-f-color-si2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-1947473

Please let me know what you guys think! I'm all ears. Thanks!

realazy

Rough_Rock
NOOO!!! "clarity based on clouds not shown". Enough said.

Its a huge red flag, it even looks cloudy in the video. I am in the process of returning an F VS2 that had that comment because it was ever so slightly cloudy to my sensitive eyes. I can only imagine how bad an SI2 with that comment would look like in real life.

You can see my thread for my story if you'd like.

br0ok1ynb0i

Rough_Rock
Oh wow now that you've mentioned it, it does look cloudy. My assumption that an ideal cut would have great light performance was completely wrong. Thanks for the quick reply.

SpencerDane

Rough_Rock
I do like the sparkle of this stone, but it is so cloudy that the color almost looks like it is gray instead of white or clear. I have to agree with realazy on this. I am sure you can find something much better within the same price range.

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
br0ok1ynb0i|1479099099|4098061 said:
Oh wow now that you've mentioned it, it does look cloudy. My assumption that an ideal cut would have great light performance was completely wrong. Thanks for the quick reply.
Your assumption that an ideal cut would have great light performance is spot on - where you went wrong was assuming that a GIA xxx excellent was ideal cut. You've got a hint already in the HCA being 4 tho. Have a search for Gypsy's Diamond 101 and use the parameters she posts there to search for well cut diamonds. Diamondseeker2006 also has a set of very similar parameters which will find you well cut stones. Good luck!

realazy

Rough_Rock
The angles are much better, but I can't say that it looks that much clearer than your first choice. There's fairly large cloud on the table facet and the surface graining looks pretty obvious. I would definitely request an house inspection if possible along with idealscope images to check if it affects transparency. I would much rather have a visible inclusion than a hazy diamond if I had to pick though.
You are allowed 3 diamonds for inspection if they are located in the New York diamond district. You have to ask customer service.

Be aware that you can ONLY do 3 inspections, so choose wisely.

I have looked and your criteria is quite difficult at your price point, I would suggest opening up to an H, or go to a different vendor. James Allen is not the lowest priced option, even though it is the easiest option since they have videos of all their diamonds.

gm89uk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Clouds do not appear well in videos but they will in real life. Generally if you are looking at SI2 but cannot see the clarity setting inclusions that are expected in an SI2, then it's usually because of clouds, which are then evident on the certificate.

br0ok1ynb0i

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the links, they are very helpful. I think I can kind of tell what you guys mean by the diamond is cloudy, when I look at it in a certain angle compared to the diamonds linked.

I think I'm opened to dropping it down to a .9 carat over dropping the color.
Just curious, what would be a good/comfortable budget for the criteria I listed. Thanks!

br0ok1ynb0i

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone!

I'm back and am ready to pull the trigger, if the right diamond catches my eye. So I found this in JamesAllen and so far it seems great. Would love to have everyone's opinion:

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.00-carat-g-color-vs2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-2248859

Cut seems great, doesn't look cloudy, med florescent and seems to be eye clean. But in the GIA, it states it has twinning wisps, pinpoints and surface graining not shown. I read somewhere twinning wisp could be a durability issue but I'm not sure how I could tell.

gm89uk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I would avoid this diamond due to poor symmetry as visible from the video. The pavilion mains (arrows under the table) are not lined up properly and are not likely to reflect bright flashes of light like they would if they were properly lined up).

I can't find much on B2C within your price range.

This COULD be a contender. It seems like an eye clean SI2.

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.01-carat-g-color-si2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-2226932

There is a cloud that's hidden under the crown visible on the video and x2 feathesr running perpendicular and traversing the crown. Light performance wise the diamond seems like it would be very good. A gemologist would definitely need to inspect it and comment on the clouds and durability issues from the feather. But worth further investigation I think.

If you are buying from JA this stone or another, remember to ask for the JA advantage discount. That combined with wire payment should slip the diamond below $5k

br0ok1ynb0i

Rough_Rock
Thanks gm89uk! I will take a closer look at what you have linked!

br0ok1ynb0i

Rough_Rock
Just checked with a JamesAllen expert via chat. They don't think a SI2 would have any durability issues and this is a an eye-clean diamond. But they said that it will get inspected by the setter and the setter won't move forward if there is a durability issue.

Has anyone dealt with James Allen before where they actually fail an inspection for a diamond? I've tried searching the forum didn't see a post of a diamond ever failing inspection which concerns me a bit. The advantage discount is $230. Worth a shot?

Thanks!

gm89uk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/questions-on-which-diamond-to-go-with.227114/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/questions-on-which-diamond-to-go-with.227114/[/URL]

This topic just active now includes a james allen inspection fail (suggesting another diamond).

It might be worth emphasising that the gemologist can ensure the clouds in the diamond are not causing any transparency issue. A decent SI2 is very hard to find so it needs a thorough inspection. If the gemologist is happy there aren't any transparency issues you should get an idealscope/ASET for the diamond. Only get the images for the diamond if you're sure about it because you are only allowed 3 diamonds to get images for!

I personally bought an SI2 diamond, is eye clean and is a beautiful rock.

br0ok1ynb0i

Rough_Rock
Thanks again gm89UK! I've decided to order it so it can get inspected and will try to post updates on this. Happy Thanksgiving!

gm89uk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
br0ok1ynb0i|1479997331|4102235 said:
Thanks again gm89UK! I've decided to order it so it can get inspected and will try to post updates on this. Happy Thanksgiving!

Great, looking forward to pictures and how it turns out!

And to you too.

George

br0ok1ynb0i

Rough_Rock
Hey JAMadera, thanks for checking. Nope, I've decided not to move forward with this diamond due to it looking cloudy.

gm89uk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Was that from JA inspection?

br0ok1ynb0i

Rough_Rock
I didn't have that one inspected by JA. The one I'm currently waiting on an inspection (the one you linked) looks a lot clearer!

carbonquest

Rough_Rock
http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3604619.htm

This isn't $300 over your budget but is eye clean and the "I colour will probably face up lighter due to the EXTREME sparkle of the whiteflash A Cut Above stone. Top of the line optics and it's sure to blow her mind. cut is more important than colour in my opinion. Would u rather a lighter dull stone, or a super sparkly one that people can only tell is not "colourless" if they turn it upside down and put it against a white background / another stone?

I think this this ACA you can't go wrong. What do other PS'ers think? I'm a novice but I'm extremely pleased with WF ACA prices and wuality

br0ok1ynb0i

Rough_Rock
Finally received idealscope from JamesAllen. From what I learnt so far, there is some minor light leakage under the table but doesn't look too bad. But would love some professional opinions.

Confirmed that feathers do not pose any durability concern and its an eye clean SI2. They said that the inclusions are hidden under the crown and the feathers along girdle are common and are not open on the stone. I will be getting it assessed for insurance so I'm not too concerned it's a SI2.

Link to diamond: https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.01-carat-g-color-si2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-2226932

Please let me know what the price scope community thinks!

2226932.jpg

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
you will have to inspect it in person when you received the finished ring. But so far, I like this alot. nice find.

carbonquest

Rough_Rock
how much was it?

the diamond I posted above has a top of 6.52x6.54x3.98 mm so it will appear bigger, it's SI1, but sacrificing 2 colour shades (which may well be hidden by the superior scintillation of the stone).
the ASET scope shows virtually no light leakage and is all red. Or has it gone above the budget?

Just curious..

br0ok1ynb0i

Rough_Rock
Hi carbonquest, thanks for the link by the way. Sorry I just noticed, I was already in the progress of ordering the SI2 from JA prior to thanksgiving so it can get inspected. It was priced at 5.2k found by George (gm89uk).
Budget wise, your diamond is within my range. If this SI2 doesn't work out, I'll definitely take a closer look at the one you linked!

And thanks flyingpig for having a look!

gm89uk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hey br0ok1ynb0i, idealscope looks good.

Just noticed the stone (via clicking the link on mobile) has been discounted to $4950. Sometimes the price of diamonds fluctuates and it might be worthwhile asking if an additional discount could be applied.

The idealscope looks very nice. With regards to the ACA stone, it is an I, I know you specifically mentioned a G or above. Also the twinning wisps look a little heavy under the table for me. In addition there are some black crystals under the table. Saying that WF can't have thought there was an issue with its sparkle.
Under 'eyeclean' they have put "inquire" which means it may not be eyeclean, it would be best to ask them the details for it. 'I' colour will face up white in an ACA but it can have the slightest tint from the side. The size difference is not huge. G will look perfectly white to the very vast majority of people.

Which is better really depends on clarity features to clarify with whiteflash, and where you prioritise colour.

Your stone idealscope really is good.

Consider this stone from WF
http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3063774.htm
it still got it's ACA grading.

There is no frank leakage in your stone, just bits of paler red emphasising reduced light return. This is far less noticeable with a naked eye than with a back-lit idealscope.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results