shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on this diamond before I pull the trigger

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes....don't! That stone is too deep making it face up smaller, the crown angle is way too deep as well. Not a well cut stone.

Stay within these parameters:

Depth no more than 62%
Crown angle 34-35
Pavilion angle 40.6 - 40.9
Table 54 - 58

Can you tell us how you came to choose that particular stone? Why you thought it was perhaps the one to buy? Just curious.

baearea

Rough_Rock
Hi Missgotrocks,

Thanks so much for your feedback. I was buying it based off the wrong criteria and will use your guide! I honestly don't know what I'm doing but learning as quickly as possible. Do you have any recommendations on blue nile diamonds that match that criteria? No worries if not, but I figured I'd ask.

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Brilliant Earth or Blue Nile? Or both?

What is your budget?

baearea

Rough_Rock
Hi Ecf,

MAX budget is $10k but the lower the better. Both sites BN and BE if possible.

The ring should have the following properties:

1.5 - 1.75 Carat, VS2, Round, Very good or Ideal cut, I-G on color (Not a big deal)

Are the Halos from James Allen MADE around the center stone or are they pre made? My goal is to have NO airline at all. However, I'm not sure how to figure this out when ordering online. Any tips?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
baearea|1445269893|3939841 said:
Hi Ecf,

MAX budget is $10k but the lower the better. Both sites BN and BE if possible.

The ring should have the following properties:

1.5 - 1.75 Carat, VS2, Round, Very good or Ideal cut, I-G on color (Not a big deal)

Are the Halos from James Allen MADE around the center stone or are they pre made? My goal is to have NO airline at all. However, I'm not sure how to figure this out when ordering online. Any tips?
I don't think you can buy a well cut 1.5ct I VS2 for $10k.

baearea

Rough_Rock
Got it. What would that run? I'm flexible in my budget a bit.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You will be very close to 10k with Si1. Here are a few from WF which will be beautiful. The ACA's are the top of the top, but the Expert selections will still be wonderful.

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3586205.htm 1.422 ct I VS1 $10,444
http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3586200.htm 1.424 ct I VS1 $10,459
http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3137127.htm 1.575 ct I SI1 $10,686
http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3586204.htm 1.488 ct I VS2 $11,168
http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3521171.htm 1.557 ct I SI1 $12,101

baearea

Rough_Rock
Telephone phone! Thanks for the quick reply! Are the AGS and GIA the same type of quality rating? I just want to double check on that.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
They are quite similar - both very reputable. WF also has a great upgrade policy (should the itch ever arise!) and they will make you a video of your top choices too.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Which setting are you interested in?

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh sorry, I didn't realize you were only buying from them. You should stick with excellent or ideal cuts, and if you are buying from this site then yes vs1 or 2 is probably safer than SI (no photos).

Out of the ones you posted, I'd lean toward the last one, however are you comfortable moving down to a J?

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
that setting is waaayy too thin. At 1.4mm it is very susceptible to bending out of round, losing pave stones and even breaking. I would highly suggest you look at a slightly thicker setting, even 1.8 will still be super thin but more secure. 2mm with pave is better.

ETA- Look at how the head is held on to the (very thin!) band - that is an accident waiting to happen as well.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In all honesty, a well made halo with no airline can't really be purchased as a ready made setting. It needs to be made to fit the particular stone. Is this a custom made setting?

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If I were you, I would get into contact with David Klass and see what he might charge for a nice halo like that. You're going to be spending $1700-$2000 on a stock setting which will not be fit exactly for your stone. And, if it turns out to be too expensive you can keep BE in your back pocket. Going custom will allow you exactly what you want, and you'll be able to purchase a really spectacular diamond from somewhere else.

baearea

Rough_Rock
telephone89 -> Now I'm scared! Should I do a smaller stone for more protection? That ring was her most favorite ring. Let me know. Also, if I go the custom route will it be more secure? Any clue how long it would take for David or Victor to make something? Are there any returns?

MissGotRocks -> It wouldn't be custom but BE told me the halo would be built AROUND the center stone. I'm not sure how much truth to that.

gm89uk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It may not look in real life what you quite imagine it to in real life. I would go to a local jeweller and ask to see some 1.8mm, 2mm settings and you may be pleasantly surprised by how thin they are.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A smaller stone isn't necessary for more protection in a well constructed ring but a smaller stone might fit better into your budget if her heart is set on a well made custom halo.

kb1gra

Brilliant_Rock
just recently spoke to David about a halo and he quoted me 35 days. Price was reasonable, though, so that's the tradeoff.

BE does make the halo to fit the stone as do many other makers. It's not that uncommon. Even James Allen's halos for the $700 mark are made for the stone.

baearea

Rough_Rock
KB,

How much did it run ballpark?

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not a huge fan of those stones. Choosing the best cut stone you can find would be my top priority - not so much the setting.

Is there a time constraint here that makes you ready to buy today?

kb1gra

Brilliant_Rock
baearea|1445314707|3940128 said:
KB,

How much did it run ballpark?

$2000 range for platinum.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
WF sells ritani.... So you could get a WF stone & ritani halo.

(I don't work for them, I just really love their rounds!)

baearea

Rough_Rock
Telephone, will WF do the actual setting? Sorry for the newb questions.

thebigjdoe

Rough_Rock
baearea|1445377516|3940388 said:

You mean make a custom setting, or set it into a Ritani setting?

They are a Ritani dealer, so they will get the Ritani setting you like and mount a stone you purchase from them in the setting, making it a one stop shop. The bonus of going all through ritani is that if you live near one of their stores, they will build it, and ship it to the store for you to see before you buy. If you know you want that setting it doesn't matter which Ritani dealer you go to

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
thebigjdoe|1445381293|3940405 said:
baearea|1445377516|3940388 said:

You mean make a custom setting, or set it into a Ritani setting?

They are a Ritani dealer, so they will get the Ritani setting you like and mount a stone you purchase from them in the setting, making it a one stop shop. The bonus of going all through ritani is that if you live near one of their stores, they will build it, and ship it to the store for you to see before you buy. If you know you want that setting it doesn't matter which Ritani dealer you go to
Yes! Thank you. You will have a wonderful WF stone with the ritani setting of your choice.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results