shape
carat
color
clarity

thoughts on this cushion?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

dean69

Rough_Rock
Hello, thanks so much for all the info you provide on this site....I wish I could digest it all!

My pricescope education tells this diamond is cut too deep. I was wondering, though, what is the effect of a deep cut besides resulting in a smaller spread up top? Is there an effect on brilliance?

From the GIA report:
Cushion brilliant, .90 carat G VS2. 6.10 x 5.51 x 3.73 mm. Depth=67.7% Table=53% Girdle=medium to very thick, faceted. Culet=none. Polish=VG and Symmetry=VG. Clarity characteristics=cloud, crystal. Flour=none Comments=none.

I would also appreciate opinions on whether to go with this diamond (for $3800 plus tax, in a local store) or with a jubilee/regent/flanders style cut with more brilliance and less spread for same $$?

thanks
read.gif

dean69

Rough_Rock
bump

please help...anyone have an opinion?

ep6585

Brilliant_Rock
What shape do you prefer? Do you want it to look square(ish) or rectangular? The other cuts you listed tend to be more square than the cushion you listed.

Here's a Jubilee for comparison:

.90 G SI1 Jubilee

dean69

Rough_Rock
I am a little flexible on shape, as long as it's CLOSE to square. The attractiveness of the cushion is that it's local and it's a larger stone than I can get for the same money if I go jubilee/regent. Plus it's really pretty

I just wonder if the depth issue with the cushion worsens its already "imprecise" cut as compared to the other H&A brands mentioned.

ep6585

Brilliant_Rock
Compared to a similar sized cushion listed on GOG's site the depth% of the one you listed looks high. It would make the diamond looker smaller with the same carat weight.

.91 G VS2 Cushion

Maybe someone with more knowledge about cushion cuts will chime in on the subject.

dean69

Rough_Rock
thanks ep6585...I understand the one I listed is deeper and will look smaller compared to a shallower cut of the same weight, but it appears to be a pretty good deal for its spread and I am wondering if there are other cons to buying a deep diamond besides losing spread?

Robyn12

Shiny_Rock
Hello,

I wouldn't consider 67% too deep for a cushion, and I don't think it should be a deal-breaker for you. They say cushion numbers should fall somewhere between oval and radiant on these charts. With a 67%, you are not too far off from ideal...

I've seen a lot of cushions and I've found the prettiest ones, with large facets, tend to be on the deep side. Lots of jewelers have told me this too. I would not go higher than 69% though...

You are probably also losing some spread with that x-thick girdle, btw.

But, if you've seen this diamond in person and you love the look of it, I say go for it. If you have a lot of concerns with it, or think you can do better, hold out for your dream stone. There are lots of stones out there. Don't settle.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results