shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on this cushion?

Joolz

Rough_Rock
I am a long time lurker, first time poster looking for thoughts on my antique-style cushion search. I must admit, I am panicking due to the rising diamond prices and don't want my judgment to be clouded. I am interested in this cushion, though I am unsure of the facet pattern and not familiar with how to read an ASET. Can you give me your thoughts on this stone?

http://engagementringsdirect.com/DiamondCushionDetails.aspx?Item=47

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There is something lacking in the faceting pattern that doesnt cut it for me. It looks to be a nice stone but it wouldnt by *my*
first choice.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think I prefer the JA cushion SLG posted, to be honest. The ERD stone has a nice faceting pattern, but I think SLG is right--the edges are a bit dull.

Joolz

Rough_Rock
Thanks all for your input! Initially was set on an AVC, but that was before the price increases. My budget was set at 30k a year ago and that seemed realistic. This is for a 10 year anniversary which is still about a year away but we are concerned to wait any longer.

I too was worried about the corners of the ERD stone. I was set on a square stone but will a stone with a 1:09 ratio appear more square when set (as I’ve been told)?

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Who told you that a stone with a 1:09 ratio will appear more square when set? I don't think I've ever heard that before.
What kind of setting are you planning on getting?

Whatever stone you choose, it's going to make a killer anniversary gift!

Joolz

Rough_Rock
One vendor was speaking generally, when I expressed that I wanted a square stone, that a rectangular stone would appear more square once set.

I have been trying to decide between a French cut layout or a split shank (a la Charmypoo). This will be a standalone ring and I do not want to wear a wedding band. I think Charmy’s is close to what I had envisioned even before I came to Pricescope and it is more beautiful than I could have imagined.

I am also considering going down in size to keep to the original budget. I just want to be sure that I won't have any regrets (scratch that--I already do by not purchasing last year!).

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
Ditto for the JA

I have a 1.06 and it looked more square BEFORE it was set. I did have it set east west at one point and that gave it a more square appearance, and it's in a solitaire setting if that make a difference, but I can't imagine a 1.09 looking square at all.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
It looks pretty good. I hate that the price hikes are causing a panic.

I did want to add that I'm glad Mark has FINALLY gotten around to having good pictures (except maybe the black bg aset) haha - I've been MIA, is it recent?

Joolz

Rough_Rock
The AVC that SLG posted was $39k yesterday, and $45k now. Yikes.

I requested an ASET from James Allen. ERD is also sending me pics of another stone on Monday.

Joolz

Rough_Rock
ERD also sent me over photos of this stone. It looks like a beautiful stone but should I be worried about a table at 45%?

For the life of me I can't figure out how to upload the photos, how do I do that?

http://www.youtube.com/user/xristoserd2011?feature=mhee

James Allen has told me that they have difficulty providing ASETs for stones over 2 carats. I am still waiting to hear more from their gemologist.

Joolz

Rough_Rock
A big thanks to Kenny for helping post these pics!

What do you think of this stone and the ASET?

3.02GSI1.jpg

3.02GSI1 ASET.jpg

Joolz

Rough_Rock
This is another stone I was considering.

LM3.05.JPG

Joolz

Rough_Rock
Nobody has any thoughts on these stones?

mjertl

Shiny_Rock
I'm not an expert like some people on here, but they do both seem to have some inclusions near the center that would bother me if I were gazing into either of these stones every day (all day, like we women do!). Personally, I'd probably sacrifice a little size for something with fewer visible inclusions

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the last two, but I also would not want any inclusions under the table area. I have no idea of the clarity of those stones, but I wouldn't look below VS2 and the inclusions would need to be on the sides where the facets would hide them.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also like the last 2 but worry about the inclusions in that last one.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
I like the last 2 much better than the first one you posted. however you should get what appeals to you in terms of facet structure!

Joolz

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all of your feedback! The last one posted has most of its inclusions around the bottom and sides. There is a cloud and a small crystal on the top of the stone, should I be worried about those? I really like that stone and am seriously considering it.

I am still waiting to hear back on the James Allen stone, but it could take several days. Does it look dark on the maltese cross, or is it the picture?

The JA stone is also more rectangular. I have been searching for square, but what would look better in this style of setting?

Split shank.jpg

bridecat

Rough_Rock
Nice clarity on the first stone and I like how it is graded by GIA. I wouldn't buy a stone these days that wasn't certified by GIA personally. As other posters said a bit dull on the edges and for the price I would rather a bit better color than I.

I like the second stone a bit better.

Good luck!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, that is an incredible anniversary gift!

Re. the corners on the first ERD - I agree they might look duller/darker/return less light IRL, so making the loose stone look smaller from afar or at casual glance, but once set I don't think this will be such an issue as it's really only the corners that in that specific stone would be subject to this effect, and assuming you set the stone w/ prongs in a normal 4-corner orientation there will be shiny metal in just those areas to highlight the outline in those areas anyway, if that makes sense?

The last two also look nice, if they're eyeclean to your specifications, whatever they are. Like slg said - depends on what your eyes like to see in terms of facet structure and patterning (and how good you are at spotting inclusions, and how much they bother you!)

That's a lovely setting - can't tell about darkness in that 'cross' - need a head-on pic taken at relatively close range.

Joolz

Rough_Rock
I have included an ASET for the James Allen stone. Can I get your thoughts?

JA ASET.jpg

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joolz|1309207147|2956469 said:
A big thanks to Kenny for helping post these pics!

What do you think of this stone and the ASET?

I like the way the facets look (my favorite type of cushion), but it's hard to tell whether you have contrast or leakage right in the middle of this stone here. It honestly looks like leakage and that would be very bad. If it's contrast, its better but remember that the little arrows that are contrast on a round are big fat "bow tie" or "maltese cross" contrasts on this type of cushion or on ovals. That doesn't mean you can't still love it, but some people are opposed to it. I'm not. I just wear brighter colors so that instead of black, it's reflecting a kaleidoscope of color.

ETA - sorry I didn't notice before, but the X is actually high light return where usually it is the + that is so all I noticed was how the larger 12/3/6/9 facets weren't reflecting (and look kind of dead) and didn't notice the 1/4/7/10 facets are alive and kicking. I think I'd have to see this one in person. In fact, I wish I could just for the experience.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Call them! I'm sure they will talk you through both stones and probably do a video for you.

Wow...pre-increase price! Is the 2.44 going to the pre-increase price too?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results