shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on this ASET

JLW05

Brilliant_Rock
gia_7238656305-asetwhite-01_1.jpg
Although this diamond has some leakage around the edges, can the human eye really easily perceive this?

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Some minor leakage can be seen as contrast by the eye and actually be an important part of the perceived brilliance of a diamond.

I suspect that this diamond has enough leakage that it will be easily separated from better cut diamonds by the human eye alone.

You would need to compare it side by side with some better cut diamonds to know for sure.

Wink

gm89uk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Out of interest Wink, are you referring to the reduced saturation of red under the table or the green light return around the edges...or both?

I'm assuming this is the James Allen True Hearts diamond you posted in the other thread, it looks fine. I prefer the B2C diamond I posted.

I'm not sure if your budget and requirements. True Heart diamonds are not precision cut and are regular stones that just happen to have great optics. They often fall slightly short of the precision especially cut stones, like a cut above by WF, or crafted by infinity, high performance diamonds, or Ascendancy cuts by GOG.

It really depends on how much premium you're willing to pay for the very finest of cuts and juggling of the 4Cs around a specific budget.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
gm89uk|1480283349|4102974 said:
Out of interest Wink, are you referring to the reduced saturation of red under the table or the green light return around the edges...or both?

I'm assuming this is the James Allen True Hearts diamond you posted in the other thread, it looks fine. I prefer the B2C diamond I posted.

I'm not sure if your budget and requirements. True Heart diamonds are not precision cut and are regular stones that just happen to have great optics. They often fall slightly short of the precision especially cut stones, like a cut above by WF, or crafted by infinity, high performance diamonds, or Ascendancy cuts by GOG.

It really depends on how much premium you're willing to pay for the very finest of cuts and juggling of the 4Cs around a specific budget.

I was able, as a vendor, to reply only because the stone and vendor had not been identified. I think I will let what I said stand, that in comparison with other diamonds it might not be "The One."

Wink

gm89uk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Of course I could be totally wrong! The diamond is technically, still unidentified..

JLW05

Brilliant_Rock
Off the top of my head, a Whiteflash/Brian Gavin/GOG stone would cost aprroximately $1,000 more than the above stone. I'm not saying that you don't get what you pay for, but I was wondering just how noticeable the difference is to the naked eye. I have a few ASET images from various sources and this is representative of what I am seeing in my price range of approximately low to mid $5,000's (ideal stats).

gm89uk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Cut,Colour and clarity?

Whiteflash/Brian Gavin/GOG/HPD will command a premium because precision cutting does take more labour, and a possible reduction to carat. True Hearts does vary in quality. There are some I can barely tell a difference in their reflector images and those from precision cutting, and some which have obvious deficits, but are still very good quality. They tend to be cheaper though.

If you look very hard, with patience, in my experience you can find one that is very nearly there with a cheaper price. But with the other vendors comes great customer experience, upgrade policies etc.

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
JLW05|1480286519|4102991 said:
I was wondering just how noticeable the difference is to the naked eye.

A legit but always tricky question to answer.

Am I able to tell the difference between a super ideal and this stone? Yes
Will you be able to tell the difference? Initially, maybe or maybe not. As you play around with light source, conditions, angles and environments and fully understand how ASET/IS scope works, eventually yes

Is this still a good and beautiful diamond? Yes

gm89uk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
What would you expect to see different? Slightly duller table and edge?

JLW05

Brilliant_Rock
The above is from a private vendor and I need to make a decision one way or the other. I'm not looking for perfection.. Just something very nice at a fair price point.

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
gm89uk|1480290144|4103006 said:
What would you expect to see different? Slightly duller table and edge?

First, AGS's description is Red=Brightness, Green=Less Bright. Although this is easy for consumers to understand, it is mis-leading. Red is light that strikes the diamond from a high angle (45~75). Green is light that strikes the diamond from a low angle (0~45). Imagine a regular office lighting condition. The most intense light is from a high angle from the ceiling light fixture. Low angle light mainly consists of indirect light, reflected off the wall. So, AGS's assumption is reasonable. However, this is A condition.

Image you are at a carribean beach. The diamond is fully exposed to blue sky from 0 to 75 degree angles. There is no difference between low angle light and high angle light. The idealscope is a good example of this where the diamond is exposed to red light only from 0 to 75 degree angles. Also imagine you are viewing your diamond on your sofa next to a table lamp. The most intense light is low angle light in this case.

Therefore, how the green areas around the edges translate in real life varies depending on the lighting condition. If your low angle light happens to be intense, then green areas may produce intense brightness.

The same goes for any light leakage under the table. Depending on the intensity/color/type of background and incoming light, light leakage can be pronounced or masked.

As I said, if you know how IS/ASET works and can manipulate light conditions, noticing the difference between a super ideal and the diamond in question in this thread is not hard.

I would not say the diamond will appear "duller". That's harsh. I think it is still a great diamond.

gm89uk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Lovely, thank you for such a thorough reply.

JLW05

Brilliant_Rock
Flyingpig - Thank you for your explanation. I now have a much better understanding of how ASET works.
This stone would be one of two stones I am considering for studs. The ASET for the second stone was not a "perfect" ASET but it showed less leakage. Many people are less particular about studs than they are about e-rings so I'm wavering on whether or not I should up my budget for super ideal stones.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results