shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on this aqua

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

shoechick

Shiny_Rock
Hi PS''ers,

Was hoping to get your opinion on this aqua. It''s an 8x10 rectangular step cut. 3.03 ct with a light slightly greenish blue color.Vendor photos attached.

I love the color and the cut. I actually prefer the lighter aqua''s as the watery, transluscent color appeals to me so I don''t have any issues with that and I like the tinge of green.

I''m wondering if it has a window?? I''m still very new to gem collecting and so still developing my skills at evaluating a potential gem. What does everyone think? Appreciate honest advice and feedback.

Thanks!
35.gif

AQ00303_a[1].jpg

shoechick

Shiny_Rock
Other vendor shot

AQ00303_b[1].jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Shoechick,
Basically, you are saying you don’t mind a colourless/white stone with hints of blue for this aquamarine? From what I’m seeing, I don’t think there’s a window. I hope you are aware that aquamarines cut as a regular step cut will usually show a tilt window quite often and it is a normal thing to see.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In with chrono on this one. thats looks like its going to be a very light aqua.

-A

shoechick

Shiny_Rock
Chrono,

You bring up a good point about the color. Do you think it will be too colorless? I like the pale blue but I don''t want it to look like a white or colorless stone.

Also, what is a tilt window?

Thanks for sharing info!!

Shoechick

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very very light! The edges look almost clear! I think it would be almost colorless and it would look colorless in the sun. HTH

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very light toned and almost colorless aquas tend to also show every bit of dirt, even if you wash your hands (if you''re wearing one in a ring for example). I have a deep blue aqua, and I don''t have to clean it nearly as much as a pale one I bought several years ago when I first began gem collecting. Some people like almost colorless aquas for the sparkle and scintillation of precision cuts, but that one doesn''t look to be a sparkler, based on the cutting.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It depends on your tolerance and like/dislike. My gut feel is an almost colourless stone. A window tilt is when a stone is viewed at an angle, you can see through the table and see whatever object is behind the stone.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with some of the others that this aqua looks very very pale. I''m not sure you''ll see much of even a hint of blue.

I would like to disagree with some of the others though ........... to me, because of the facet placement (and the gemstone''s colour) this does appear to have a window. However, when you have pale gemstones, even a hint of a window will be magnified and I suspect if you were to set this into a ring, you''d almost definitely be able to see your finger through it.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/18/2009 10:50:33 AM
Author: LovingDiamonds
I agree with some of the others that this aqua looks very very pale. I''m not sure you''ll see much of even a hint of blue.

I would like to disagree with some of the others though ........... to me, because of the facet placement (and the gemstone''s colour) this does appear to have a window. However, when you have pale gemstones, even a hint of a window will be magnified and I suspect if you were to set this into a ring, you''d almost definitely be able to see your finger through it.
a pale blue is one thing, colorless is another. only you can decide but i agree with LovingDiamonds....i think you''re going to have a large window which will just wash any color there might be right out of that stone.

mz

shoechick

Shiny_Rock
Ok so I think I will pass on buying this gemstone because now that I am reading everyone''s comments about the color I am starting to see that in the picture.

Probably best that I wait until after the holidays anyway to continue my search.

Thanks so much everyone for the info. It will be helpful to me in future searches. If I find another possible contender I will definitely post a picture here first before buying.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results