shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on this antique ring?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

bigdiamondtinygal

Shiny_Rock
My boyfriend and I found this ring when we were out and about this weekend. I put it on and I swooned. I really like it, and I like the way it looks on my hand (size, proportion, etc). It is a K color, white round diamond. Does it look too off color? My sister said in the picture it looks like a champagne diamond (which is NOT what I want). Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks!

RI2.jpg

DentD

Rough_Rock
I have little experience and maybe it is the lighting of your photo...but that looks very yellow for a "K" diamond to me. To me it looks like a fancy colored diamond which can be nice but if you are looking for a white diamond I don''t think this is the one.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It sure looks GORGEOUS! But not white.

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
It''s hard to say from the photo because they may have taken it under a warm incandescent bulb, or forgotten to adjust the white balance in their digi cam.

If that''s the true color, then it looks warmer than my M.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/18/2009 9:56:55 PM
Author: purrfectpear
It''s hard to say from the photo because they may have taken it under a warm incandescent bulb, or forgotten to adjust the white balance in their digi cam.

I was going to say the same. It looks quite warm, but it could well be the lighting circumstances.

All that matters is that you love it! There''s no such thing as "too off color," there is just "too off color for my tastes."
1.gif

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/18/2009 10:15:31 PM
Author: musey

Date: 2/18/2009 9:56:55 PM
Author: purrfectpear

I was going to say the same. It looks quite warm, but it could well be the lighting circumstances.

All that matters is that you love it! There''s no such thing as ''too off color,'' there is just ''too off color for my tastes.''
1.gif
HI:

Looks gorgeous. Thritto to what has seen said about the color/lighting....

Did the ring come with a document stating the color of the center stone? Lab cert? Appraisal?

cheers--Sharon

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think it''s beautiful. It''s what you think. Is it calling your name, have you been thinking about it since you saw it? I''d go back and see it again. See if you can take it outside. The sales assocaite will have to go with you, but seeing it in day light is a good idea.

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is beautiful. Maybe it is a lighting issue? Was there a cert on the stone?

Do you have any more photos? I''d love to see more, particularly of the setting too if you have them.

LGK

Ideal_Rock
Can you get an independant appraiser familiar with antique stones to look at it?

I am very biased since I wear an M color antique diamond, but I love that color range. I'd check it out in a variety of lighting situations though, especially overcast daylight if you can- my stone tends to look the least white in that type of diffused lighting.

I think the color balance in the pic is too far off to judge what it looks like.

Setting looks gorgeous. How big is the center stone?? It looks huge on your hand! (And beautiful!) Is the setting an antique also? I have to say it's pretty rare to find The Perfect Antique Stone already set in The Perfect Antique Setting. Usually there's some assembly required- first you find the rock, then you hunt for the setting or vice versa. The fact that you found a whole ring that speaks to you is pretty darn cool, and would make me totally smitten if I were you!

Personally I wouldn't care what an antique diamond color graded at, if I loved it, but you do want to pay a fair price for it- which is why I recommend getting an appraisal on it. You also would do well to have a professional assess the condition- depending on the setting, they can often get a good look under prongs to judge if there's a hidden chip or something. Chips and bearding are VERY common on antique diamonds. If they're small enough you can't see them with the naked eye, then that's usually what I consider acceptable on an antique stone, but that's only my opinion of course. If it has a GIA cert, I wouldn't bother appraising, but that's pretty rare for an antique piece.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I think that looks like a lovely ring (are those half-moon sides I see? Be still my heart!) but I have to second other posters in saying that either there''s something wonky with the lighting in that photo, or that stone is significantly lower in color than a K.

Is there anything wrong with that? No, not at all, so long as it''s priced accordingly. If you love the ring, go and get it appraised. If it''s lower than a K, you can bargain it down or walk away ... but if you love it and it''s the concept of having a warmer-than-usual stone that bugs, perhaps visit it again, try it on, and see how you feel?

bigdiamondtinygal

Shiny_Rock
Wow! Thanks for all of the feedback. I don''t have any more pics...I''m happy they let me snap this one! To be honest, on my hand, looking down at it the stone did look warm but not yellow or brown. The lighting in the store was yellow and the walls were brown so perhaps that is relecting in the picture.

The stone and the setting are both antique. Center stone is 1.6 and my ring size is a little under 4.5 (yay that you think it looks BIG!). I did see the cert with my own eyes...GIA, K, VS2. The profile of the setting has filagree and some small diamonds as well. LittleGreyKitten, I agree it is hard to find all of the components in one place...and for me the stars aligned on this one. I have been thinking about it since we left! I guess the comment my sister made is making me have doubts! But in the end, I think it should only matter to me and my BF what we think...not to anyone else, right???

Thanks for the help!

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Get it! It sounds like you love it - and from the one pic, it does seem pretty.
If its a GIA cert I would be inclined to trust the colour grade - I bet its just the yellow lighting and brown walls, for sure.
Don''t worry about what your sis said - if you saw it and loved it and kept thinking about it, then its the one.

Come back with pics please if you do go for it!
36.gif

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ooo I think it''s beautiful and you should totally get it! Don''t worry about what your sister or anyone else thinks-you''ll be the one wearing it and looking at it every day!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it looks lovely but definitely see if you can look at it out in plain daylight to get a better idea of the colour.

:)

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/19/2009 4:22:38 PM
Author: Lorelei
I think it looks lovely but definitely see if you can look at it out in plain daylight to get a better idea of the colour.
Ditto that! I think it is a really beautiful stone and ring, and it would definitely attract my attention (in a good way!) if I met that ring on someone''s hand IRL. Only you can decide if you are comfortable/uncomfortable with the color, but I ditto others that it may have been the lighting and environment that affected the picture. Lorelei''s idea to take it outside I think is a really good one. It sounds like it is speaking to you. Go back and look at it a couple of more times to make sure you still love it. I personally find that I am drawn to warmer colors in antique type settings - it just seems to ''look right''!

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
GIA? Go for it. It''s a lovely ring.

By the way, yellow walls and brown carpet can definitely "color" the way a diamond looks.

HeartingDiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Looks to me like a beautiful ring!

Is it just me, or does it remind anyone else of a certain ring that was hotly debated some weeks back, after it had reproduced (not meaning to stir trouble here, just genuinely curious....)?

softly softly

Brilliant_Rock
Actually Grace I was thinking that too. It looks like a lovely ring

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/19/2009 6:11:26 PM
Author: softly softly
Actually Grace I was thinking that too. It looks like a lovely ring

Thritto.

BDTG, if you get it, I hope you''ll come back with additional images - I would love to see that baby close-up!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/19/2009 5:43:31 PM
Author: HeartingDiamonds

Is it just me, or does it remind anyone else of a certain ring that was hotly debated some weeks back, after it had reproduced (not meaning to stir trouble here, just genuinely curious....)?

I think it looks like a gorgeous ring!!

and I thought the exact same thing Grace.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock

Yes, I thought the same thing Grace.

Allison D.

Ideal_Rock
BigD, I''d make a suggestion. Go back to the vendor and ask if he can take the diamond outside with you so you can see it in daylight without the surrounding ivory walls. I think you''ll find it makes a big difference.

I wear an antique transitional stone that is an EGL-graded L (which means it''s more likely an N by GIA standards), and it faces up with only a slight bit of warmth. Keep in mind, too, that photographs tend to capture the warmth of the stone more than your eye does.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/19/2009 9:01:34 PM
Author: Kaleigh

Freaky, me too. Totally made me laugh when I thought it.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/19/2009 11:14:21 PM
Author: TravelingGal

Count me in, I did a total double take and started to chuckle.

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/19/2009 11:34:52 PM
Author: Gypsy

I thought the same thing...

Beautiful ring btw

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
BLASHPHEMY!!!! Our eyes/minds must be BROKEN!!
31.gif

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
It looks to me like the lighting made it look darker in the pics, but I think it''s totally gorgoeus anyway!!

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/19/2009 11:49:19 PM
Author: decodelighted

BLASHPHEMY!!!! Our eyes/minds must be BROKEN!!
31.gif
Whoa, too funny Grace - first thing that popped into my mind actually!

Regardless, Its a stunning ring and I can''t wait to hear if teh OP gets it !

Daisi2112

Shiny_Rock
It looks so pretty! .. it does sort of look like a yellow diamond (which I think are gorgeous too), but it could be the lighting that makes it look very yellow in the picture.

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I agree with everything everyone here has said:

1. If you love it, it doesn''t matter what anyone else thinks of the color (my own personal sweet spot is K-M range, so it''s definitely my kind of ring!)
2. If it''s a GIA K, you are assured of what you''re getting and since you said it doesn''t face up yellow or brown in person, it''s just the lighting in the pics
3. Definitely take it outside and I bet you''ll be blown away by how white it faces up (old cuts often do, but you should examine the stone in all lighting to be sure you love the way it performs)
4. WOWZA, that''s some ring and does look positively humongous on your finger!!!!
5. Yes, Grace, I thought the same thing about the ring''s resemblance to...ummmmm...The One Ring? The Ring Who Shall Not Be Named?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results