shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on this 5.04 EC

Tubbsmalone

Rough_Rock
After a long search I finally decided on emerald cuts. I am narrowing down my choices while trying to balance my budget and preferences. This stone caught my eye because despite being a K , seems to face up whiter and the inclusions are around the edges of the stone and not noticeable. However it is deep. I looked at EC’s with better depths and smaller carat size (with the same color/clarity) but they were more expensive and frankly looked yellower and had more noticeable inclusions. I know there are no “deals” when it comes to diamonds so I’m wondering why this stone was priced so low. Is the depth that terrible to explain the price being so low??? B7AED9C9-5073-41CC-A347-29D8DC18D251.png D8B69F73-8D41-42D3-ABC0-6F3827C67ACF.png DF10B1F1-A45D-4564-9EB3-982CE72CEEFD.png

Tubbsmalone

Rough_Rock
I will try to get a pic of the stone straight on. I couldn’t make the diamond stop spinning to take a genuinely face up shot.

blingmeupscotty

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I can't find it on the JA website to look.

Tubbsmalone

Rough_Rock
I have it on hold so it isn’t on the site!!! Lol. It’s priced at 31,800

Tubbsmalone

Rough_Rock
At that price it includes $1500 credit for a setting and I would be picking an $1800 setting with tapered baguettes. So basically with the 1.5% wire discount and setting credit the whole shebang is under 32K

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
Typically with EC and step cut diamonds, color and clarity are very visible. MRBs mask color and clarity the best, especially with an ideal cut. I would be weary of the SI1. JA has a great return policy (although I have never returned a loose stone) so you could order it and see for yourself!

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
low price = deeper than 70% with a large table + k color + strong blue florescence + an eye visible si1 crystal that is going to reflect in the stone + small for ct weight.
The strong blue is a plus in my book but the trade at large considers it a downgrade but not a huge one with k color.

Tubbsmalone

Rough_Rock
At that price it includes $1500 credit for a setting and I would be picking an $1800 setting with tapered baguettes. So basically with the 1.5% wire discount and setting credit the whole shebang is under 32K
low price = deeper than 70% with a large table + k color + strong blue florescence + an eye visible si1 crystal that is going to reflect in the stone + small for ct weight.
The strong blue is a plus in my book but the trade at large considers it a downgrade but not a huge one with
What carat weight should a 10.84x8.29 EC have assuming good/great measurements?

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
What carat weight should a 10.84x8.29 EC have assuming good/great measurements?
there are a lot of variables as there are a lot of combos that can be great. This isn't one of them.

tkyasx78

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Do you truly LOVE tinted stones? IMO this shape stone does NOT hide color well and a K is GOING to show color in almost any lighting except the special lights the store has for selling.

If you love a yellow tint that is going to be visible, to those who see it without looking close that is one thing and you will get what you want.

However if you are looking at it and thinking, "while I would prefer a stone that faces up clear white and maybe for the price I could learn to not notice"..... take my advice you will notice it and at some point it will be an issue because a K stone is not a barely yellow and it isn't a bright fancy yellow. I have seen gorgeous M colored stones. There is absolutely nothing wrong with them. They can be sparkly, stunning and jaw dropping especially when they are cut well and set in a setting that makes you look twice... And if that is what you like than by all means get what you like.

IMO when spending this kind of money get the stone you want. If you want an eye clean stone that faces up white, then either go down in size or save a little longer. It is worth it for a big purchase to get what you really want.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not attractive in my book. Its got 2 steps blending together that are "off" (black) at the same time. Too much darkness showing
face up.

I've seen some beautiful K colored emerald cuts on Pricescope so I don't have a problem with the tint (I accept that its going to
show tint).

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Agree with @tyty333 . I don't care for this stone at all on cut alone although i am not a step cut pro i can spot at least an obviously not nicely cut stone

a really nice 5 carat stone will cost double or more

id drop size significantly to get a nicer stone especially if you want a white stone, this is not the ticket, the color will be obvious and so will inclusions

caolsen

Brilliant_Rock
It seems like a great price because this stone has some weak facets that are never going to remained ‘off’. Bear in mind that ECs don’t sparkle like MRB or other brilliant cuts so having dead spots on optimal vendor sales lightening likely means this stone doesn’t fire off in normal light.

Tubbsmalone

Rough_Rock
It seems like a great price because this stone has some weak facets that are never going to remained ‘off’. Bear in mind that ECs don’t sparkle like MRB or other brilliant cuts so having dead spots on optimal vendor sales lightening likely means this stone doesn’t fire off in normal light.

What is a weak facet? Sorry not super diamond savvy . Weak visually or weak structurally?

Tubbsmalone

Rough_Rock
I decided to bite the bullet and purchase it. They have a generous return policy so I know if it doesn’t meet my expectations I can get a full refund. I always like follow up posts here so I will share the end result when the ring arrives.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I decided to bite the bullet and purchase it. They have a generous return policy so I know if it doesn’t meet my expectations I can get a full refund. I always like follow up posts here so I will share the end result when the ring arrives.
Good luck! I would love to see it!

caolsen

Brilliant_Rock
What is a weak facet? Sorry not super diamond savvy . Weak visually or weak structurally?

I meant weak in light return…nothing structure related!

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I must have gone through 30 or so stones before I found my EC. The biggest thing I learned was that they are nothing but big mirrors and will reflect most inclusions. Seeing those inclusions drove me crazy so I ended up picking a VVS2 stone with one tiny pinpoint. Just something to note in your hunt.

Tubbsmalone

Rough_Rock
Well the ring arrived and I am blown away. The video can’t even begin to show the fire and sparkle this stone has. I am color sensitive and I was starting to panic that the K was going to be too tinted. I can’t notice the tint nor any inclusions (it’s an SI 1 but the inclusions are not visible in the table). I attached a video. (There is some reflection from my phone when filming it). I’m glad I went with my gut! https://youtube.com/shorts/imW2oj6Y0jc?feature=share

Tubbsmalone

Rough_Rock
Thank you! I knew I was making some sacrifices for my budget but honestly I don’t feel that way anymore. I was scared the stone was going to be pretty moderate on the sparkle department because of the depth. I wanted to share because it is a perfect case of not judging a stone only by the certificate and one picture. The photo JA provided definitely doesn’t translate to what it looks like in the setting in real life. Thank you to everyone for your suggestions and patience with this rookie.

Mjay

Brilliant_Rock
Well the ring arrived and I am blown away. The video can’t even begin to show the fire and sparkle this stone has. I am color sensitive and I was starting to panic that the K was going to be too tinted. I can’t notice the tint nor any inclusions (it’s an SI 1 but the inclusions are not visible in the table). I attached a video. (There is some reflection from my phone when filming it). I’m glad I went with my gut! https://youtube.com/shorts/imW2oj6Y0jc?feature=share

WOW! Glad you went with your gut! It is stunning! Please post in SMTB. I want to see a million pics and videos please.

mrsctobe

Shiny_Rock

Wow it looks icy! Would love more close up pictures!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results