shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on this 1920s filigree ring

Dmndsr4evr11

Brilliant_Rock
Hi everyone,

Hoping to get some thoughts on this ring I got at an antiques shop. All I know is it’s from the 1920s and 18k gold. The dealer tested the diamond and the metal as the marking has rubbed off. Diamond size wasn’t listed on the tag.

I compared it to my .63 carat pendant and my approx .36 carat ACA and I think it may be about 0.30 carat? It looks pretty white to me. Actually seems whiter and brighter than my I colored ACA earrings. Do you think it’s an OEC or an OMC? It’s a cloudy day so the pictures aren’t that great. Hopefully, it’s sunny tomorrow so I can take better pics.

Thanks in advance. 055E0548-FFD9-4592-B312-8ECB74B6BDBE.jpeg 5585EC26-504D-4C1D-8EDC-6011004A0453.jpeg 8BEA5294-9256-4E4F-BDA4-39406F986E2C.jpeg 10F1F2D9-1828-4F14-A4EC-B8F7356C98B2.jpeg 19FAA323-EF5D-4173-BDBC-F61992C681F0.jpeg CC519040-38B5-4E64-B463-481E81D052FD.jpeg

Dmndsr4evr11

Brilliant_Rock
Hi everyone,

Hoping to get some thoughts on this ring I got at an antiques shop. All I know is it’s from the 1920s and 18k gold. The dealer tested the diamond and the metal as the marking has rubbed off. Diamond size wasn’t listed on the tag.

I compared it to my .63 carat pendant and my approx .36 carat ACA and I think it may be about 0.30 carat? It looks pretty white to me. Actually seems whiter and brighter than my I colored ACA earrings. Do you think it’s an OEC or an OMC? It’s a cloudy day so the pictures aren’t that great. Hopefully, it’s sunny tomorrow so I can take better pics.

Thanks in advance. 055E0548-FFD9-4592-B312-8ECB74B6BDBE.jpeg 5585EC26-504D-4C1D-8EDC-6011004A0453.jpeg 8BEA5294-9256-4E4F-BDA4-39406F986E2C.jpeg 10F1F2D9-1828-4F14-A4EC-B8F7356C98B2.jpeg 19FAA323-EF5D-4173-BDBC-F61992C681F0.jpeg CC519040-38B5-4E64-B463-481E81D052FD.jpeg

Any other info /input anyone can provide on this ring would be greatly appreciated.

Dmndsr4evr11

Brilliant_Rock
It‘s a lovely ring and such a nice stone. I guess it‘s an old European cut!

Thank you, @Roselina. I’ve always admired everyone’s OEC. I don’t know much about it and don’t think I can tell between an OEC and OMC. I was at one point tempted to trade my ACA engagement ring for an OEC but I chickened out. One day, some day, maybe I’ll get a decent sized one as an alternate engagement ring. Seeing and having this stone even if it’s small spikes my interest on OEC even more.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It doesn’t look OMC to me, now I’m not an expert but I think OEC, very pretty ring! Love the octagon setting, I would have the prongs looked over just to make sure none need retip but otherwise it looks great. Love how substantial the setting is too!

Dmndsr4evr11

Brilliant_Rock
It doesn’t look OMC to me, now I’m not an expert but I think OEC, very pretty ring! Love the octagon setting, I would have the prongs looked over just to make sure none need retip but otherwise it looks great. Love how substantial the setting is too!

Thanks, @YadaYadaYada. Yes, I plan to have the prongs checked to make sure they’re all ok. Thanks!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think OEC as well

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I think it’s OEC based on shape since OMC tend to be more cushion shaped but it is a beautiful stone!

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
It’s all personal preference but in rings like this I’m always tempted to take the stones out! Because there’s always so much metal in this style that I feel you can’t see the stone as well. And that stone is a beauty.

Dmndsr4evr11

Brilliant_Rock
It’s all personal preference but in rings like this I’m always tempted to take the stones out! Because there’s always so much metal in this style that I feel you can’t see the stone as well. And that stone is a beauty.

Hmmnnn thanks, @Mreader. Any ideas how you would reset the stone in? I’m not overly crazy about the ring itself. Not really my style but it’s a long story. This was the exchange for a ring my husband thought I wanted but couldn’t return. I didn’t like any other rings they had so this was the best I could trade it with. One of my daughters thinks it looks like a class ring haha!

maryjane04

Brilliant_Rock
Yeah it looks like an OEC to me as well. The round outline, plus the facets seem more organised (I see OMC as being more rustic) and a smaller culet. Very pretty ring though!

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
It looks about .25ct, approx 3.8mm? it's much smaller in diameter compared to your .36ct. Zoom in on the picture, measure both stones' mm. You can figure out actual mm this way by using this formula: measured picture of smaller mm/ measured pic of larger mm = X (smaller diameter which you don't have)/larger actual diameter(which you already have). Find X.

I don't know that I'd reset it, I like it as is and resetting that would get costly quick.

Dmndsr4evr11

Brilliant_Rock
It looks about .25ct, approx 3.8mm? it's much smaller in diameter compared to your .36ct. Zoom in on the picture, measure both stones' mm. You can figure out actual mm this way by using this formula: measured picture of smaller mm/ measured pic of larger mm = X (smaller diameter which you don't have)/larger actual diameter(which you already have). Find X.

I don't know that I'd reset it, I like it as is and resetting that would get costly quick.

Thanks, @ForteKitty! Very helpful. Good point about a reset, if it’s a bigger diamond then I would probably more likely to do it.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, @ForteKitty! Very helpful. Good point about a reset, if it’s a bigger diamond then I would probably more likely to do it.

Agreed diamond is very petite so might not be worth the trouble. I just notice so many art deco style rings that have so much metal that the diamond gets lost. But yes trying to hunt down a setting and then getting someone to take the original out and put in probably isn't worth the expense. But in case you didn't care about that trouble/expense this is the type of setting I'd go for as even a small diamond would be more noticeable in it. Once again all down to personal preference bc for me I like filigree settings and I like high profile in filigrees when it comes to small diamonds.

setting.jpg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OEC and it’s beautiful ❤️

Dmndsr4evr11

Brilliant_Rock
Agreed diamond is very petite so might not be worth the trouble. I just notice so many art deco style rings that have so much metal that the diamond gets lost. But yes trying to hunt down a setting and then getting someone to take the original out and put in probably isn't worth the expense. But in case you didn't care about that trouble/expense this is the type of setting I'd go for as even a small diamond would be more noticeable in it. Once again all down to personal preference bc for me I like filigree settings and I like high profile in filigrees when it comes to small diamonds.

setting.jpg

@Mreader - you are right. There’s so much metal. Don’t know what they were thinking when they made this ring. A bigger diamond to fit the octagon shape probably would have been better. I didn’t really have much choice as there was no other ring I was interested in to trade the original ring my husband bought that he thought I liked. I would have preferred a much daintier ring with less metal. Just need to learn to love this one, I guess.

Dmndsr4evr11

Brilliant_Rock
OEC and it’s beautiful ❤️

Thanks, @missy. You have the best OECs. Love your ering and earrings! I think it is a beautiful stone. My first experience with an antique stone. I keep staring at it. All I’ve had are MRBs. And I have been very intrigued and interested in everyone’s beautiful OECs here. Would love to see a big stone IRL. Don’t know of any place here in my area. Antique shops here don’t have rings with big stones.

It’s been so cloudy here the last few days so I can’t take a good photo. Just using my iPhone.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
@Mreader - you are right. There’s so much metal. Don’t know what they were thinking when they made this ring. A bigger diamond to fit the octagon shape probably would have been better. I didn’t really have much choice as there was no other ring I was interested in to trade the original ring my husband bought that he thought I liked. I would have preferred a much daintier ring with less metal. Just need to learn to love this one, I guess.

Maybe sell it and then get one you like it! In any case welcome to the old cut club!!

Dmndsr4evr11

Brilliant_Rock
Maybe sell it and then get one you like it! In any case welcome to the old cut club!!

Thanks, @Mreader. It’s technically a gift from my kids and husband. I already feel bad that I had to exchange the original ring they got me. My husband got the original ring I pointed out to him that I really liked but after staring at it and noticed the center ring was a little crooked, I lost interest. Also, thought it was overpriced. He had already walked away then and I didn’t tell him my thoughts. Little did I know that he went back the next day to buy it. We went back the day after Christmas and exchanged it for this ring as there’s a no return policy.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, @Mreader. It’s technically a gift from my kids and husband. I already feel bad that I had to exchange the original ring they got me. My husband got the original ring I pointed out to him that I really liked but after staring at it and noticed the center ring was a little crooked, I lost interest. Also, thought it was overpriced. He had already walked away then and I didn’t tell him my thoughts. Little did I know that he went back the next day to buy it. We went back the day after Christmas and exchanged it for this ring as there’s a no return policy.

Aww that's sweet that he tried to surprise you. Now I am curious as to what the first ring looked like. :lol:

Dmndsr4evr11

Brilliant_Rock
Aww that's sweet that he tried to surprise you. Now I am curious as to what the first ring looked like. :lol:

I didn’t even ask to take it out of the case once I realized it’s overpriced and the center stone was a little crooked hahhaa. I didnt know what it was until I had it on my hand on Christmas Day hahaa. It’s a Levian yellow quartz ring with a halo that I first thought was a Citrine. So it wasn’t even an antique ring.

Dmndsr4evr11

Brilliant_Rock
Just a few more pics as the sun is finally out after days of cloudy skies. Taken next to a window. Pictures don’t really do justice but again, I’m just using my iPhone XR. My I colored ACA earrings actually looks so much whiter and more sparkly IRL. but I am loving this OEC. I hope I can see a big one IRL.

B1EF9999-6B71-4C26-9426-0D78BEA9C4BE.jpeg

Attachments

• 21C0251F-406B-4459-85AF-FFE0D92DD0AB.jpeg
    21C0251F-406B-4459-85AF-FFE0D92DD0AB.jpeg
    108.1 KB · Views: 13
  • 166A7778-5C0A-49AE-B4A1-2B9B2BD3CBBF.jpeg
    166A7778-5C0A-49AE-B4A1-2B9B2BD3CBBF.jpeg
    125.7 KB · Views: 13

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Just a few more pics as the sun is finally out after days of cloudy skies. Taken next to a window. Pictures don’t really do justice but again, I’m just using my iPhone XR. My I colored ACA earrings actually looks so much whiter and more sparkly IRL. but I am loving this OEC. I hope I can see a big one IRL.

B1EF9999-6B71-4C26-9426-0D78BEA9C4BE.jpeg

Goodness it really is beautiful in that lighting

All the metal makes sence now
hopefully its growing on you

Dmndsr4evr11

Brilliant_Rock
Goodness it really is beautiful in that lighting

All the metal makes sence now
hopefully its growing on you

Thank you, @Daisys and Diamonds. What do you mean about all the metal making sense? I dont really know much about antique settings and stones. Can you please explain? And I really am loving the stone, it’s so different from MRBs. The setting is ok. I can live with it. It is a lot of metal for a tiny stone although it does not look overwhelmingly too much metal once it’s on my finger.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you, @Daisys and Diamonds. What do you mean about all the metal making sense? I dont really know much about antique settings and stones. Can you please explain? And I really am loving the stone, it’s so different from MRBs. The setting is ok. I can live with it. It is a lot of metal for a tiny stone although it does not look overwhelmingly too much metal once it’s on my finger.

I know jack sh*t myself but i know what i like !
What i ment was in the first pictures it did look like so much metal but in the latest picture all the beautifullness of the setting is revealed
I think its a keeper !

Dmndsr4evr11

Brilliant_Rock

@ForteKitty- I bought a caliper and you are exactly right about your measurements! Right on the money!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results