shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on this 1.5mm Rose Gold setting?

grlnxtdoor

Rough_Rock
Hi all!

I think I found the perfect setting! I've never tried on a rose gold ring until the jeweler brought it out and I immediately fell in love with it. I've always been a white gold kind of girl. However, I do have some concerns about the 1.5mm band. It is going to be set with a 1.9ct round stone. does having the basket give additional support to the prongs? I am concern about 4 prongs, but I love the look of it. Is it still called a 4 prong if there is a basket?

do you think the stone will be too heavy for the head/band?

The jeweler also said said 14k gold will be sturdier than 18k and this will probably need to be redip (not sure if I'm using the right terms) in about 10 years due to the nature of gold. Anyone have experience with this.

I am planning on wearing this daily until I am married and will only wear this on special occasions or just weekends after.

Thank you so much!

image_405.jpg image_409.jpg image_28.png

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
1.5 mm is too thin

ADN

Shiny_Rock
Trade
grlnxtdoor|1454890622|3988163 said:
However, I do have some concerns about the 1.5mm band. It is going to be set with a 1.9ct round stone. does having the basket give additional support to the prongs? I am concern about 4 prongs, but I love the look of it. Is it still called a 4 prong if there is a basket?
...I am planning on wearing this daily until I am married and will only wear this on special occasions or just weekends after.

Normally I would say that 1.5mm is too thin (wouldn't recommend going under 2mm) - especially with a stone of that size/value - but if you're only going to be wearing very occasionally, then it's really up to you and how confident you are that it will be secure - just keep in mind that it will be very delicate, so you'd have to be very careful.
The basket is to hold/secure the bottom of the diamond and protect the culet, as well as lend strength/stability to the setting.
Its called a 4 prong because that is how many claws are actually holding the stone in the basket setting. With a stone of that size, and if you go with a setting that thin, you may want to consider 6 prongs/claws for some additional security.

The jeweler also said said 14k gold will be sturdier than 18k and this will probably need to be redip (not sure if I'm using the right terms) in about 10 years due to the nature of gold. Anyone have experience with this.

18k gold is composed of 75% gold, which is alloyed with other metals to make it strong enough for everyday wear. 14k gold is composed of 58% gold and 42% of other metals. Because of its higher percentage of alloyed metals, 14k gold offers more resistance to wear and tear. Karat desirability varies from region to region - in the US, 14kt gold is more dominant in the jewellery industry - but here in Australia, 18kt gold is by far the dominate mix (9kt is very popular for items of lower value).
I’m not sure what your jeweller means by dipped? White gold has to be ‘dipped’, or re-rhodiumed every once in awhile as it can wear off, but rose gold is created by using a copper alloy and doesn’t need rhodium plating? You might want to check and see what they meant by that.
Also, keep in mind that because 14k gold contains less pure gold than 18kt gold does, it’s necessary to include more copper. Therefore 14kt rose gold may appear darker/more red in colour than an 18kt piece, which may show as a bit lighter rose/pink colour - - so it might be worth checking with your jeweller what their mixture is to ensure you’re getting the colour/look you desire.
Hope this helps

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Too thin for pave.

Pave is riddled with holes. So basically you are talking 1.5mm swiss cheese for an engagement ring. No.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not a good idea. Way too thin.

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is 1.5-2mm ok so long as it is solid metal and not pave?

grlnxtdoor

Rough_Rock
ADN|1454893594|3988178 said:
grlnxtdoor|1454890622|3988163 said:
However, I do have some concerns about the 1.5mm band. It is going to be set with a 1.9ct round stone. does having the basket give additional support to the prongs? I am concern about 4 prongs, but I love the look of it. Is it still called a 4 prong if there is a basket?
...I am planning on wearing this daily until I am married and will only wear this on special occasions or just weekends after.

Normally I would say that 1.5mm is too thin (wouldn't recommend going under 2mm) - especially with a stone of that size/value - but if you're only going to be wearing very occasionally, then it's really up to you and how confident you are that it will be secure - just keep in mind that it will be very delicate, so you'd have to be very careful.
The basket is to hold/secure the bottom of the diamond and protect the culet, as well as lend strength/stability to the setting.
Its called a 4 prong because that is how many claws are actually holding the stone in the basket setting. With a stone of that size, and if you go with a setting that thin, you may want to consider 6 prongs/claws for some additional security.

18k gold is composed of 75% gold, which is alloyed with other metals to make it strong enough for everyday wear. 14k gold is composed of 58% gold and 42% of other metals. Because of its higher percentage of alloyed metals, 14k gold offers more resistance to wear and tear. Karat desirability varies from region to region - in the US, 14kt gold is more dominant in the jewellery industry - but here in Australia, 18kt gold is by far the dominate mix (9kt is very popular for items of lower value).
I’m not sure what your jeweller means by dipped? White gold has to be ‘dipped’, or re-rhodiumed every once in awhile as it can wear off, but rose gold is created by using a copper alloy and doesn’t need rhodium plating? You might want to check and see what they meant by that.
Also, keep in mind that because 14k gold contains less pure gold than 18kt gold does, it’s necessary to include more copper. Therefore 14kt rose gold may appear darker/more red in colour than an 18kt piece, which may show as a bit lighter rose/pink colour - - so it might be worth checking with your jeweller what their mixture is to ensure you’re getting the colour/look you desire.
Hope this helps

Thanks so much for your input! I just realized they make this setting in a 2mm- from what everyone is saying, 1.5mm just sounds like a bad idea. For obvious reasons, larger is better.. do you think 2mm is ok? (I know there's still risk as 2mm is still consider thin).

Thank you!

http://www.adiamor.com/Engagement-Rings/Results/French-Cut-Basket-Engagement-Setting-2mm/14KRoseGold/1839?q=R3071

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Much better.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results