shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on this 1.33 carat VS2?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mojofc

Rough_Rock
Weight 1.33 CT
Shape ROUND BRILLIANT
Color H
Clarity VS2
Measurements 7 x 6.96 x 4.43 mm
Depth 63.5%
Table 53%
Crown 14.8%
Pavilion 44.4%
Crown Angle 33.2°
Pavilion Angle 41.6°
Girdle MEDIUM FACETED
Polish EXCELLENT
Symmetry EXCELLENT
Fluorescence FAINT
Culet NONE
Cut Grade IDEAL
Comments Laser inscribed: EGL IDEAL CUT H&A
UGS Appraisal Value N/A

Price is listed at $7,700. This diamond is coming from a friend's friend who is in the diamond business.

Is anyone familiar enough with these proportions/angles to know if this would be a good deal?

They have stated it is H&A and has an "ultra premium cut".

I may be purchasing tomorrow possibly if I head more good news about this diamond.

I will be proposing as soon as I get the diamond and choose the setting.

Thank you so much for any responses!
1.gif

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Definitely too deep. On the HCA it only score a 4, probably light leakage, and face up smaller than similar weight stone. Which EGL lab is this from? EGL is usually consider loose in grading color and clarity, so what you are getting could probably be a J SI2 if graded by GIA or AGS.

EDT:
If you are still interested in getting the stone, get it appraised independently.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/5/2009 2:30:09 PM
Author:mojofc
Weight 1.33 CT
Shape ROUND BRILLIANT
Color H
Clarity VS2
Measurements 7 x 6.96 x 4.43 mm
Depth 63.5%
Table 53%
Crown 14.8%
Pavilion 44.4%
Crown Angle 33.2°
Pavilion Angle 41.6°
Girdle MEDIUM FACETED
Polish EXCELLENT
Symmetry EXCELLENT
Fluorescence FAINT
Culet NONE
Cut Grade IDEAL
Comments Laser inscribed: EGL IDEAL CUT H&A
UGS Appraisal Value N/A

Price is listed at $7,700. This diamond is coming from a friend''s friend who is in the diamond business.

Is anyone familiar enough with these proportions/angles to know if this would be a good deal?

They have stated it is H&A and has an ''ultra premium cut''.

I may be purchasing tomorrow possibly if I head more good news about this diamond.

I will be proposing as soon as I get the diamond and choose the setting.

Thank you so much for any responses!
1.gif
oh no!!!
32.gif
another one of those friend of a friend dealers?
9.gif
anyway..this stone is too deep.

mojofc

Rough_Rock
Thank you both for your quick responses! That really helps out a lot.

One more I was looking at yesterday from JamesAllen:

Shape: Round
Carat weight: 1.26
Cut: Hearts & Arrows Ideal
Color: I
Clarity: VVS2
Certificate: AGS

Depth: 61.3%
Table: 57.1%
Polish: Ideal
Symmetry: Ideal
Girdle: Thin to medium
Culet: None
Fluorescence: Negligible
Measurements: 6.93*6.96*4.25

Crown Angle: 34.6°
Crown %: 14.90
pavilion Angle: 40.9°
pavilion %: 43.10

$7,500

I know it''s a VVS2 and I don''t like the idea of spending $ on something you can''t tell from the naked eye, but any idea why this H&A would be relatively cheap compared to others of this quality?

I''m sorry to just post this info and ask for help, i''ve done as much research as I can lately, but I''m looking to purchase asap

Thank you again so very much!

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Looks good, probably just the Valentine's day promo JA is having.

EDT:
Grab it I would say, or at least put it on hold.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome mojo,

The first diamond is too deep for my liking and does not have the best crown and pavilion angle combo, so I would pass on that one. Concerning EGL, EGL USA is considered to be the strongest of the EGL labs and it is not always the case that they are loose on grading, some of the other EGL labs are thought to be less strict on colour and clarity grading.

The second diamond looks good, has excellent proportions and looks promising by the info we have available. It is an I colour which is lower down the scale and can lessen the price. Do you have any images for this one such as Idealscope? JA sometimes provide them on the link, or can get one done for you on request.

Also it rarely turns out well purchasing from a friend of a friend or relative from what I have seen over the years here, so maybe using a neutral party to purchase from might be best.

mojofc

Rough_Rock
It is the Vday promo you're correct. All H&A are 10% off.

I'm so tempted to purchase it, I just don't understand why it may be so "cheap" in comparison to other H&A from that company since it's a VVS2

Ahhhh this is stressful.

I'm thinking about using a Tiffany Setting comparable since she said about a year ago this is one she liked (online at least). Any ideas on which one from JA would be similar to this setting if I were to buy this one?

Does this one look about right or maybe another?
http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/classic-solitaire-settings/18k-White-Gold-2mm-Diamond-Solitaire-Engagement-Ring.html

a link to the idealscope as requested:
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/I-VVS2-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1193892.asp

Just promise me you don't go off and buy this now!
2.gif

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Just call them up and tell them to put it on hold for you. They will do that for a day if I remember correctly. Stones have been known to be bought up while PSers are considering it.

mojofc

Rough_Rock
It''s on hold

Guess I will be making up my mind within 24 hours then!

I really think this will be the one I will purchase.

My budget was 6000 - 7500 and looking for around 1.25 - 1.35 so this one at 7500 being H&A, 1.26, and VVS2 I don''t think I can ask for much more.

Just need to figure out which setting still from JA would be most similar to the Tiffany Setting w/ 6 prongs.

Thanks for your help guys/gals!

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Good luck then.

mojofc

Rough_Rock
I called JA and had them reserve it, but the guy I spoke with was very convincing in telling me I should consider the one I called him about a few days ago:

Carat weight: 1.30
Cut: Ideal
Color: H
Clarity: VS2

Depth: 62.0%
Table: 56.0%
Fluorescence: None
Measurements: 6.99*7.02*4.34

It''s about $600 less than the VVS2 diamond and he you cannot see any inclusion by the naked eye

$7000 even

I seem to really trust this guy considering he''s trying to get me to purchase the one cheaper telling me side by side/dimensions/angles they are basically the same thing. Also this 2nd one is H compared to the others I as well as this one being slightly larger.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/5/2009 4:37:53 PM
Author: mojofc
I called JA and had them reserve it, but the guy I spoke with was very convincing in telling me I should consider the one I called him about a few days ago:

Carat weight: 1.30
Color: H

Depth: 62.0%
Table: 56.0%
Measurements: 6.99*7.02*4.34

It''s about $600 less than the VVS2 diamond and he you cannot see any inclusion by the naked eye
$7000 even

I seem to really trust this guy considering he''s trying to get me to purchase the one cheaper telling me side by side/dimensions/angles they are basically the same thing. Also this 2nd one is H compared to the others I as well as this one being slightly larger.
I can''t find the 1.3c online. Have you reserve that? I would like to see the numbers and the idealscope image.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Looks deep for an ideal cut. I would ask them to take an idealscope image of that stone to confirm but looks like some light leakage in the stone image and the HCA score is only a 3.5, not that great. I would also ask them to hold on to the I VVS stone too in case this does not check out.

mojofc

Rough_Rock
Stone cold i''ll ask for that tomorrow.

I hate to even ask this... but are you busy tomorrow? I''d really like to make the prucase tomorrow. I need an expert to help me out in this matter so I don''t save 600 bucks but end up with that much less of a diamond.

I may just go with the VVS2 so I don''t have to worry about anything, which in this case may be worth $600 to me.

Thanks for your help stone, any thoughts on what I should do? I''m worried if I ask them about the depth worry I may just get more confused.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
I should be online tomorrow but the rest will help out too.

Taking an IS will take a while, 1-2 days from what I see around the forum so if you are looking to make a decision on which to purchase tomorrow, most probably the IS will not be ready.

From what I see, usually AGS0 cut is very accurate, but in this case it might prove otherwise from the look of the dimensions and diamond image. I would recommend the VVS2 if the idealscope image for the VS2 is not ready as that is definitely a good performing diamond.

mojofc

Rough_Rock
Well thank you so much for your help, I really appreciate you taking your time to help out me as well as others in this area.

Have a great night, I guess I''ll be logging in tomorrow when I contact JA again.

Thanks!
9.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/5/2009 5:08:01 PM
The Diamond: (it is reserved)

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/H-VS2-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1192782.asp
Definitely get an Idealscope image for this one, this is why I advise that images are useful even with AGS0 diamonds. By the way we are not experts but consumers, there are experts on the site and you will be able to see who they are. I hope you don't mind me pointing that out.

Thank you for the link SC.

Mojo, I would be more in favour of the VVS diamond at this stage pending an Idealscope image for the diamond above.

mojofc

Rough_Rock
Thank you Lorelei. I understand, perhaps I am being paranoid, but it seems since 2 people from their phone lines reccommended the cheaper of the 2: that may be their strategy in order to gain trust? Especially since you guys pointed out it seems not to be rated the best in terms of dimensions while they say they are "basically the same diamond except the VS2 is cheaper and has H color instead of I, and is slightly larger". They didn''t mention anything about the angles, etc.

Thanks, I''ll be figuring all this out shortly I guess and will be back online the forum to discuss

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/6/2009 7:37:20 AM

Thank you Lorelei. I understand, perhaps I am being paranoid, but it seems since 2 people from their phone lines reccommended the cheaper of the 2: that may be their strategy in order to gain trust? Especially since you guys pointed out it seems not to be rated the best in terms of dimensions while they say they are 'basically the same diamond except the VS2 is cheaper and has H color instead of I, and is slightly larger'. They didn't mention anything about the angles, etc.

Thanks, I'll be figuring all this out shortly I guess and will be back online the forum to discuss
Maybe they aren't looking at the proportions of the diamonds so much rather than the colour and clarity, as that is probably what many of their customers go by. In the non PS world many customers don't go into the various nuances of cut precision so that could be what they are more used to dealing with and are advising accordingly.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/6/2009 4:18:28 AM
Author: Lorelei

Definitely get an Idealscope image for this one, this is why I advise that images are useful even with AGS0 diamonds. By the way we are not experts but consumers, there are experts on the site and you will be able to see who they are. I hope you don''t mind me pointing that out.

Mojo, I would be more in favour of the VVS diamond at this stage pending an Idealscope image for the diamond above.
Yep. And why I keep saying they are not all created equal. Perfect example.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/6/2009 8:44:00 AM
Author: Ellen

Date: 2/6/2009 4:18:28 AM
Author: Lorelei

Definitely get an Idealscope image for this one, this is why I advise that images are useful even with AGS0 diamonds. By the way we are not experts but consumers, there are experts on the site and you will be able to see who they are. I hope you don''t mind me pointing that out.

Yep. And why I keep saying they are not all created equal. Perfect example.
It is, isn''t it.

mojofc

Rough_Rock
Since I''m making the decision today and seriously leaning towards the VVS2 because it would be less risky since it contains an Idealscope.

What do you guys think of this diamond which is only 6300 in comparison to the VVS2(on hold for me) that is 7500

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/I-VS2-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1184737.asp

I realize I couldn''t get an Idealscope on this one, but it is: (one concern is that is has a cloud in the center of the diamond)

Carat weight: 1.31
Certificate: GIA

Depth: 60.4%
Table: 57.0%
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Girdle: Thin
Measurements: 7.11*7.13*4.30

Maybe I should just stop confusing myself in the matter and just go with the VVS2 so I have no worries. Thoughts? I guess what I''m asking is, even if I find an Ideal/Excellent Cut diamond, in general you guys would advise having an idealscope image to verify it''s cut quality and light value, so would you seriously advise me to just go with the VVS2 diamond that''s H&A in comparison to going with one that has just as high of a rating from GIA or AGS that may be cheaper due to being VS2, etc?

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Looks good from the numbers and the 10X image is nice.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/6/2009 9:07:28 AM
Since I''m making the decision today and seriously leaning towards the VVS2 because it would be less risky since it contains an Idealscope.

What do you guys think of this diamond which is only 6300 in comparison to the VVS2(on hold for me) that is 7500

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/I-VS2-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1184737.asp

I realize I couldn''t get an Idealscope on this one, but it is: (one concern is that is has a cloud in the center of the diamond)

Carat weight: 1.31
Certificate: GIA

Depth: 60.4%
Table: 57.0%
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Girdle: Thin
Measurements: 7.11*7.13*4.30

Maybe I should just stop confusing myself in the matter and just go with the VVS2 so I have no worries. Thoughts? I guess what I''m asking is, even if I find an Ideal/Excellent Cut diamond, in general you guys would advise having an idealscope image to verify it''s cut quality and light value, so would you seriously advise me to just go with the VVS2 diamond that''s H&A in comparison to going with one that has just as high of a rating from GIA or AGS that may be cheaper due to being VS2, etc?
It looks good - the diamond above. I always like to have an IS image if it is possible to get one, JA should be able to provide one for you. Either the VVS or this one could be good choices pending an IS image.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/6/2009 9:07:28 AM
Thoughts? I guess what I''m asking is, even if I find an Ideal/Excellent Cut diamond, in general you guys would advise having an idealscope image to verify it''s cut quality and light value, so would you seriously advise me to just go with the VVS2 diamond that''s H&A in comparison to going with one that has just as high of a rating from GIA or AGS that may be cheaper due to being VS2, etc?
Depends on your comfort level and budget I guess. For me, if I am looking for a deal, the VS2''s infomation is good enough for me to go on, as it''s score is well in the red zone on the HCA that rounding error is not going to affect the overall score much, symm and polish is excellent and JA has a good return policy.

If you want confirmation before you settle on a stone, then IS image is the only way to decide.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
The last one doesn't look too bad. Why not have Jim at JA compare the VVS2 with that one. Have him decide/pick which is prettiest.
28.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/6/2009 9:58:34 AM
Author: Ellen
The last one doesn''t look too bad. Why not have Jim at JA compare the VVS2 with that one. Have him decide/pick which is prettiest.
28.gif
Jolly good idea M''lady!

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/6/2009 9:18:54 AM
Author: Stone-cold11
Looks good from the numbers and the 10X image is nice.

ditto. I don''t think you can go wrong with either. I have an I VVS2 and I adore it but it''s quite a saving to get the VS2.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results