shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on these two stones

lilysweet

Shiny_Rock
Hi, I received these two stones recently and am not sure how I feel about them. They are a Mahenge spinel and a tourmaline. The tourmaline is a bit more green than I was expecting. The spinel doesn't really go with the other stones I have but if it is nice I may consider keeping it. I am not the best judge of quality or issues so any advice is great. Please let me know if you think they are worth keeping. Thanks

_969.png

_970.png

_971.png

_972.png

eastjavaman

Shiny_Rock
Based on those pics, the mahenge looks more to the peachy pink, while the tourmaline looks more bluish green, but it all depends on your preference on color.

OTL

Brilliant_Rock
If you are not sure how you feel about them then I'd say send them back.
When I open a new parcel I like the feeling of knowing for sure it will make me pleasant.
IMHO the mahenge spinel has nice cutting and lovely hue, but not strong saturation

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It depends on what you are looking for and time/budget constraints. It is difficult to advice when we do not know whether these are right/wrong for you.

Spinel - pleasant pink with some orange. Not eye popping or neon, but pretty in its own right. Nice cutting but has strong shadowing
Tourmaline - How is the colour shift? Looks pretty to me but it seems like you wanted something with more blue?

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wont be any real help with the spinel. It looks like a pretty color but if you were going for a strong glow, this isn't it. I do like the pinky peach hue though.

The tourmaline definitely looks a little more green than the vendor's pic did but it also shows a lot more brilliance, which I love. :love: I personally like your pictures better.

lilysweet

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for all the stone wisdom. I think what is throwing me off on the spinel is the peachiness but it is a pretty stone though not right for my project. I am looking for something that is more of the pink in the attached ring picture. The trillion is really pretty and the cut looks nice but I am not sure if it will be sparkly enough to to show more of the bluish in it than the green when it is set for a pendant. Thoughts on that? Thanks!

_973.png

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unfortunately, only you can know the answer to your questions, because you know what you want and you can see how the stone behaves in person. All we have is a single static picture.

lilysweet

Shiny_Rock
True Chrono! I am still so new to this that I want to make sure I am not passing on a super stone or buying a dud! :confused: This is how I feel looking at colored stones.

eastjavaman

Shiny_Rock
Stones that are highly prized, or in your term: super stones might not be to your liking and vice versa

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results