shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on these sapphires??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Wee_Spud

Rough_Rock
Hello all,

I'm quite new to this (ok, I'm completely new to this), but in trying to design my engagement ring, I've discovered my inner magpie and boy, do I like colored shiny things!

I have my heart set on a sapphire engagement ring, but I'm in grad school and my fiance is in med school - realistically, I know we won't be purchasing the Hope Diamond or anything close. Ah, well.

I've pored over these forums and gone sapphire hunting at most of the recommended online jewellers, and I've found some that I think are quite pretty, and some that just... aren't. But then again, the photography on some sites is just much better than on others, so I'm not sure if it's entirely the stones or just fuzzy camera work?

Anyways, I pulled the photos from several different stones that I've been looking at, and I was just wondering if anyone with a bit of knowledge (so, pretty much anyone on this forum, it seems!! y'all know your stuff!) might be kind enough to tell me what they think of them??

To me, the AJS and DiamondExpert/Dutton'sDiamonds ones look, well, sparklier. Sparkly is good, right? Is the big blurry bit in the middle of C what y'all refer to as a 'window' or is it something else? And are the dark bits in G what y'all talk about as 'extinction' or is it just a darker colored stone? Can you tell I'm a complete newbie?

Are these ok stones, or is the magpie in me leading me astray?

A = http://www.ajsgems.com/gemstones/Sapphire/Blue-Sapphire-2049211621-2046340410.html
B = http://www.ajsgems.com/gemstones/Sapphire/Blue-Sapphire-2049212799-2046340410.html
C = http://www.ajsgems.com/gemstones/Sapphire/Blue-Sapphire-2049216492-2046340410.html
D = http://www.ajsgems.com/gemstones/Sapphire/Blue-Sapphire-2049216491-2046340410.html
E = http://www.simplysapphires.com/html/imagesblue2006/bluecns345d-sm.html
F = http://www.simplysapphires.com/html/imagesblue2005/bluer692-sm.html
G = http://www.diamondexpert.com/diamonds/dbs.cgi?sf=detg.setup.cgi&active=active&stock=SA00156&submit_search=1

Thanks a million for any advice!

072886Sapphires.jpg

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really don''t claim to be an expert....because of the shape, the round stones are always going to appear sparklier. Also, the first thing I was told is to look for "color" first. What is the most appealing to you........ I have to admit my eye went immediatley to the cushion cut. I love the color and as you can see by my user name, I am a cushion cut nut!
3.gif
Simply sapphires is great to work with. Free shipping and it is in the states...so you don''t have to worry about sending it back overseas!!

pocahontas

Brilliant_Rock
Let me preface my response by saying I still relatively new to coloured gems, but I absolutely
30.gif
the cushion! I''m totally biased though as I''ve been eyeing that stone for over a month now! Personally, I think it''s a beauty so that''d be my vote.

E B

Ideal_Rock
Hi Wee,

If you don''t mind my asking, what is your budget?

On first glance, I''m not crazy about the cut on any of these stones (except the last, possibly, but it''s too dark to tell). Some don''t really care about cut in colored stones, but why settle when you can have both?

Here''s an example of a sapphire with a better cut. It''s more $ than the stones you''ve listed, but also bigger at 1.75 cts.

1.75 ct. Untreated Sapphire $875

barrysapph.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
All the stones you posted are very dark and the AJS stones look to have cutting issues; they also have unattractive secondary colours. I hope the stone EBree posted is within your budget. It''s very well cut, sparkly and has good colour. Hopefully, a heated one can be found because those are much cheaper.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/21/2008 9:07:58 PM
Author: Chrono
All the stones you posted are very dark and the AJS stones look to have cutting issues; they also have unattractive secondary colours. I hope the stone EBree posted is within your budget. It''s very well cut, sparkly and has good colour. Hopefully, a heated one can be found because those are much cheaper.

Totally agree. The one Ebree posted is so much nicer if it is within your budget.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
none are high end sapphires.......which makes them affordable! not a bad thing.

remember: pictures will be lighter than the stone.

make it another that likes the more expensive, larger sapphire.

movie zombie

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
I like the one e-bree put up.

Take you time to learn about sapphires. I think a lot of the ones you put up will be too dark in real life. Sapphires always darken from 5-15% and up when they are set, so keep that in mind.

Most of us on here who went searching for "our perfect" sapphire spent months looking before the right one came along. Gook luck, and congrats in advance on getting engaged.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Which colour do you like best? To me, even though colour trumps in choosing a gem, it is highly subjective. Do let us know and we''d be happy to help you search.

Wee_Spud

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much for the input! The one that ebree posted is definitely much sparklier looking than the ones I''ve been mulling over. I didn''t realize they would darken so much when set either, that''s certainly good to know

I''m looking for a round cut, 5-6mm, and I love the greenish-blue hued stones - they look like the sea =) On several sites, I''ve seen "Montana sapphires" in lovely light teals and blue-greens, but they seem to have an unfortunate tendency to be sold!

I''d like to stay under $1000 (so we can afford the mount the thing - otherwise I''ll be carrying it around in my pocket, which would be all sorts of bad), and I''m not in a major hurry. I''m trying to be an informed consumer, but I think I have a ways to go!

This is a picture of another one at DiamondExpert, taken "inside at a window (no inside lighting) with indirect sunlight with the stone facing outside to the light" (Gary was nice enough to go take a picture for me, because it didn''t have one online!) - it''s much lighter and sparklier, but I''m not sure in what way the window/indirect sunlight/stone facing out impacts its appearance.

Thanks so much again for the help, I''ve been lurking and reading, and was a bit hesitant to post - what with my gemstone ignorance - but y''all heave been super helpful!

Many thanks!!!
35.gif

SA00095faceUpIndSun.jpg

kjt

Rough_Rock
Hi. Do you also have a setting in mind? You initially chose some round stones and also a cushion. You should also decide on a shape too, that will narrow your search for the perfect sapphire.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is one heck of a sapphire from Gary!
30.gif
The lighting he has chosen is one that is best for coloured gemstones so it''ll look its very best.

Wee_Spud

Rough_Rock
I fell in love with this sweet antique ring, and I''m hoping to have something quite similar created, with some modifications to the shank and the gallery -- so I''m thinking that a round would be ideal, but maybe a roundish oval or squareish cushion might be ok too?

Thanks so much!

072886mostbeautifulring.jpg

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
That last stone from Diamond Expert is gorgeous! I wouldn't hesitate to buy that one personally.

kjt

Rough_Rock
I dont know what your budget is, but how about this one? It''s from the fay cullen website.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results