shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on these Rubies?

MrsM

Shiny_Rock
I have been looking for a nice matched pair for my IDJ jackets and came across these recently. Just received them and want to get PS expert opinions. They are more pinky-red in person compared to the photos, but they are very bright and lively. They are heat treated from Burma. Please be honest and let me know if anything does not look good to you. Wish they were more true red but I still like the color...

_915.jpg

_916.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are they sparkly or glowy in person? They look pretty dull on my monitor. No lead glass filling, right?

MrsM

Shiny_Rock
I wouldn't call them glowy but they are definitely sparkly in person. I need to get some better shots when I get home. The photos were taken indoors holding a loupe over my iPhone camera...that probably affected the shots as the color in real life is much more cherry pink.

MrsM

Shiny_Rock
A few more pics which hopefully shows up on the monitor differently. Pardon the fingerprints as I literally ripped open the package and started playing with them before taking the photos.

_917.jpg

rubies2.jpg

rubies3.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The very last picture is pretty. What is your concern about these rubies? If you happen to like the colour, why not? They are windowed but I doubt anybody can see that when worn on the ears with the ID jackets. When in the jackets, do they still sparkle a lot? Some stones just love light and when covered up, becomes dull looking. Are you sure these have not been diffused and / or lead glass filled?

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How bothered are you about treatments? If a sapphire or a ruby is sold as "heat treated" this can mean heat + filling or heat + diffusion etc. Sometimes only the heat treatment is disclosed. Of course, heated only (without anything else) will cost more so you need to make sure you're paying the right price.

If you're not bothered about treatments and have paid what you feel is a fair price then sit back and enjoy them!

If you're bothered by treatments then (unless you already have) you may want to ask for a lab report (especially if you've paid a high price).

Many people buy treated rubies and sapphires and love them - and they can look very beautiful - but if you're a purist then you need to find out what you've bought and then decide whether it's what you want.

MrsM

Shiny_Rock
They are heat-treated only. No diffusion or filling for sure.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MrsM|1347654197|3268237 said:
They are heat-treated only. No diffusion or filling for sure.

It's good that you know. Presumably you have a lab report from a lab that can test for diffusion (not all can)?????

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can the vendor prove it? Trust but verify. Even the best can make mistakes. Rubies are one of the most commonly heavily treated stones without full disclosure.

That said, if the price is low and you don't care, then that's different.

Odinsmom

Rough_Rock
I've been looking at those stones as well. I have a pair of blue sapphires from the same vendor that were great looking until they were mounted. Then they just died. That's the reason I didn't pursue the pair you are looking at. My sapphires are the same size and cut as these rubies and that worried me.

Susan

MrsM

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for all the replies. I do not have a lab report, but will need to figure out how to confirm treatment.

Looking at the stones at home today in better lighting, I am happy with them. Putting them in the jacket does not darken them fortunately as that was my worry also! Despite the more pinky red color of the stones, I think these are keepers. Here are a few more shots which show the brightness and color in the jacket...

ruby1.jpg

ruby2.jpg

rub3.jpg

Coco914

Shiny_Rock
Ooooo....love the newer photos! The rubies look so pretty in the jackets! Definitely lively.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
These are certainly the nicest pictures so far.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They are very lovely indeed and I would be happy to wear them.

Please do not take the Vendor's word that these are only heat treated. A very high proportion of sapphires/rubies - probably over 90% on the market - have had more than just heat treatment. The ONLY way to verify is with a lab that has the technical equipment to test for diffusion. The machines to detect the treatment are incredibly expensive and there aren't many of them in the world so a jeweller will never be able to tell you for sure. If you've paid a lot for these stones, please think about it. If you're happy with the price you paid and don't care about treatments just set them, wear them and love them!

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock
LD|1347788195|3268997 said:
If you're happy with the price you paid and don't care about treatments just set them, wear them and love them!

If you decide to keep the stones and not get them tested by a lab, please treat them as though they "might" have other treatments when you have them set and you clean them. Rubies with any treatment beyond traditional heating can be damaged by high heat during setting or many jewelry cleaners including hot steam. Warm water with gentle soap and a soft toothbrush are a safe way to clean them.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
With Colorluvr's cautions & if other potential treatment doesn't bother you & if the price was ok with you, I think they are very pretty & you'll enjoy wearing them. They look great in your jackets!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think they are even prettier in the jackets than without...the jackets enhance the color and the contrast is beautiful. Very nice!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results