shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on these ovals?

glow18

Rough_Rock
Hi all. Still very much a newbie here but am trying to decide on an oval after doing some research and trying to learn/understand as much as I can. I'm trying to get an eye clean oval with a minimal bow tie and of course a lot of sparkle! What are your thoughts on the ovals below? I would love some advice.

JA - 1.79 CT

BN - 1.71 CT

BN - 1.50 CT

BN - 1.71 CT

BN - 1.70 CT

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I prefer the last 2 (the F/SI1 1.71 and G/SI1 1.70) over the others.
The 1.70 looks like a moval to me, which I ADORE.

Reasons why I don't like the others:
The JA one looks very dark to me so it's definitely not my favorite.

The G/SI1 1.71 has dark inclusions on the table that don't look great, so I don't really like this one.

I honestly can't decide if I love or hate the 1.50 from BN haha. There's something about it I can't quite put my finger on, but it's just not my favorite. I like that it has "depth", but there's just something about it I don't love.

glow18

Rough_Rock
I prefer the last 2 (the F/SI1 1.71 and G/SI1 1.70) over the others.
The 1.70 looks like a moval to me, which I ADORE.

Reasons why I don't like the others:
The JA one looks very dark to me so it's definitely not my favorite.

The G/SI1 1.71 has dark inclusions on the table that don't look great, so I don't really like this one.

I honestly can't decide if I love or hate the 1.50 from BN haha. There's something about it I can't quite put my finger on, but it's just not my favorite. I like that it has "depth", but there's just something about it I don't love.

Thank you so much for this feedback! As someone who is still trying to learn, I really appreciate it.

With that being said, what is a moval?! Lol :).

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you so much for this feedback! As someone who is still trying to learn, I really appreciate it.

With that being said, what is a moval?! Lol :).

oops. Moval = hybrid between marquise and oval (so it's elongated like an oval but has "tips" at the ends like a marquise). At least that's what I see and I love it haha

glow18

Rough_Rock
oops. Moval = hybrid between marquise and oval (so it's elongated like an oval but has "tips" at the ends like a marquise). At least that's what I see and I love it haha

Ah, got it! I totally see it too. I'm not sure that's the look I'm going for (though it is beautiful and I can see why you love a good moval!) so I'm leaning towards the 1.71. Is the thick/slightly thick girdle ok with these proportions? I'm totally lost on how to figure that out :(.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ah, got it! I totally see it too. I'm not sure that's the look I'm going for (though it is beautiful and I can see why you love a good moval!) so I'm leaning towards the 1.71. Is the thick/slightly thick girdle ok with these proportions? I'm totally lost on how to figure that out :(.

I'm not an oval expert by any means. @tyty333 do you have thoughts? I'm using my eyes only (not proportions, since ovals need to be chosen based on performance), but I haven' spent tons of time honing my ability to see the nuances between ovals as well as others.

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Have you looked at the the distinctive gem ovals? They do face up smaller but they are cut beautifully.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JA - I think the difference in photo setup is making it look "bad" compared to the BN setup. Faceting is decent.

BN 1.71 - not sure if this will be eye-clean. Maybe on first look but not deeper look may not be clean
(you have to decide whats going to bother you)

BN 1.5 - looks good

BN 1.71 - worry a little about the inclusion on the table of this one also. Faceting is decent...could be better.

BN 1.7 - definitely getting the moval vibe from this one...faceting is decent and again, could be better.

I think I like the 1.5 the best but it is somewhat of a trade off with size.

We usually dont worry too much about the numbers/overly thick girdles with fancy cuts. The main criteria
is to find a nice stone with good light return (nice discrete facets as the stone turns). If it was a round we
would worry about the numbers/girdles.

glow18

Rough_Rock
Have you looked at the the distinctive gem ovals? They do face up smaller but they are cut beautifully.

I did take a look and thank you for the recommendation. I agree, they are beautiful but I think facing up smaller might bother me. While I think my hands do look feminine and overall nice, lol, my fingers are a little on the bigger side. I much preferred the look of a larger diamond on my hand. Still going to keep them in mind though as I continue to look!

glow18

Rough_Rock
JA - I think the difference in photo setup is making it look "bad" compared to the BN setup. Faceting is decent.

BN 1.71 - not sure if this will be eye-clean. Maybe on first look but not deeper look may not be clean
(you have to decide whats going to bother you)

BN 1.5 - looks good

BN 1.71 - worry a little about the inclusion on the table of this one also. Faceting is decent...could be better.

BN 1.7 - definitely getting the moval vibe from this one...faceting is decent and again, could be better.

I think I like the 1.5 the best but it is somewhat of a trade off with size.

We usually dont worry too much about the numbers/overly thick girdles with fancy cuts. The main criteria
is to find a nice stone with good light return (nice discrete facets as the stone turns). If it was a round we
would worry about the numbers/girdles.

Thank you so much! I will check out the website you suggested.

Do you have any advice on how to tell if the faceting is ideal or not? Or is this just something the eye picks up on?

Thanks again.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results