shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on these AAA akoya earrings

quarkyparticles

Rough_Rock
Hello all,

I'm in the market for some AAA akoya earrings and asked a vendor (on the trusted list) to pick some with the highest lustre and clean surfaces. I was sent a photo of these two pairs. I've removed the vendor name.
First time jewelry shopping (getting a gift for the girlfriend) and only have the information I've found online, no real world experience, so was hoping to pick your brains.

To me, ranking from best to worst is: left yellow gold, right white gold, left white gold, right yellow gold. What do you think?

The reflection in the right yellow gold seems quite pixelated/blurry (markedly different to the left yellow gold). Is that expected for AAA akoyas?

Which pair do you think is better? I'm considering asking if they can find a better pearl to replace the right yellow gold one.

Not sold on either pair right now and waiting to see if other vendors can provide photos, will post them if I get them. Maybe this is the norm for AAA akoyas from online sellers though.

I wonder if the photos downplay how nice they'll be in person though, and if they magnify issues you wouldn't normally notice.

Thank you!

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This will be a lovely gift!!

I have some thoughts but I’m hitting the road for a couple hours - tagging this thread to come back to.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
For me its the white gold pair
the luster just pops out at me
But i am on a phone so ....????

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s common for nice but not ultra nice akoya to have that hammered texture. A few vendors call it “shark skin”.

In person what most people (and by 'most' I mean - everyone I can think of, but I'll say 'most' to not exclude the one or two exceptions I'm sure are out there!) tend to appreciate first is luster, contrastiness, and iridescence. Skin texture and blemishing come second - a pearl with not-totally-smooth skin that has exceptional luster and high contrast will look more impressive to the eye than a cleaner and smoother but less lustrous/contrasty/iridescent pearl. Photos actually tend to invert perspective though, unfortunately - in photos skin texture and blemishing are often the first things you see. So even though the photos are telling their truths... They kinda encourage you to prioritize the opposite of what you would in-person!

The vendor used a phone to take these photos - you can see phone and fingers reflected in the pearl. Colour and overtone is matched nicely in both pairs, I think.

90AEC4BC-1162-4336-AE1F-970342C52326.jpeg
Just using the yellows as an example - YL(eft) and YR(ight):
  • See how the outline of the phone is a slightly sharper line in YR than YL? The sharper outline is a sign of better luster (how clearly the environment is reflected in the pearl’s surface). Sharper reflections = superior luster = a prettier and more desirable pearl.
  • Also, see how in YR the phone itself looks darker, more black than YL? This pearl has higher contrast. More contrast = brighter = a more metallic and desirable pearl.
So - in person, despite what the photos suggest, I would imagine that YR would wow you a bit more than YL. A bit. Difference isn't big here. They’re actually a good match - not perfect but better than your Average Joe would manage. But not matched enough for me, personally. Of the two I prefer the white gold pair, same as @Daisys and Diamonds - to me they look better matched in skin, luster, and contrast.

Ask for a photo in strong sunlight, a photo in the lightbox, and a photo against skin.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results