shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on these 3 ?

xraydoc

Rough_Rock
Debating 4.33 EVS1 vs 5.26 DVS2 vs 5.28 EVS1. Disregarding size and price (range most expensive is 20% more than the least expensive), any thoughts on which of these is likely to be the best performing diamond ? I'm personally favoring the 4.33 among them based on cut parameters. Have read advice to keep crown angles in the 34-35 range, although seems the higher angle of 35.5 isn't necessarily a problem with the slightly smaller table and pavilion angle closer to 41. These all score well with the HCA (1.3-1.7)

These two are GCAL, both H&A, with very complete parameters and optical data provided:
https://cutwise.com/diamond/122268 HCA=1.3
https://cutwise.com/diamond/98288 HCA-1.7

This one is IGI, not certified as H&A, with only a basic video. Cert is attached for parameters (57.5% table, 34.1% crown /40.9% pavilion, 61.7% depth
https://cutwise.com/diamond/111505 HCA=1.4

I've only seen the final one (5.28 ct) in person, very brilliant but maybe a little sub-par in the fire department.

Attachments

• Verify Your Report | Verify Your Diamond Report Online | IGI - International Gemological Insti...pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 12
Last edited:

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love both the 4.33 and the 5.26, but especially the 5.26. It seems like you found a needle in a haystack with such a clean VS2 in a 5+ carat. The inclusions are very well-masked in the facets. Which vendor are you working with?

xraydoc

Rough_Rock
I love both the 4.33 and the 5.26, but especially the 5.26. It seems like you found a needle in a haystack with such a clean VS2 in a 5+ carat. The inclusions are very well-masked in the facets. Which vendor are you working with?

Yes the 5.26 is really tempting although I'm worried it will be too big for the size 4 finger it is destined for! Probably has great fire with that rather high crown angle too.

Working with GrownDiamondCorp for the 4.33/5.26, the 5.28 was brought in on memo by a local jeweler/friend. Same concern regarding size on that one as the 5.26.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes the 5.26 is really tempting although I'm worried it will be too big for the size 4 finger it is destined for! Probably has great fire with that rather high crown angle too.

Working with GrownDiamondCorp for the 4.33/5.26, the 5.28 was brought in on memo by a local jeweler/friend. Same concern regarding size on that one as the 5.26.

What does the intended recipient think about the size difference?

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The first 2 seem very nice and are gorgeous. I’m just curious as to whether you are going through a jeweler or how you came upon the diamonds? I don’t see that particular company when I do a google search.

I’ve been searching for LGDs in similar specs. I’ve found a few ideal cut contenders but I’m really hesitant on spending this much $ on a LGD.

Would love to hear your thoughts on how you’ve come to your conclusion to do so?

xraydoc

Rough_Rock
The first 2 seem very nice and are gorgeous. I’m just curious as to whether you are going through a jeweler or how you came upon the diamonds? I don’t see that particular company when I do a google search.

I’ve been searching for LGDs in similar specs. I’ve found a few ideal cut contenders but I’m really hesitant on spending this much $ on a LGD.

She likes the size of the 5+ ct but I'm concerned once diamond is set it might be unwieldy on her finger. Not that there is a dramatic difference between 4.33 & 5.26 in terms of diameter/depth, only when side by side is the extra size particularly noticeable.

I'm very much drawn to the LGD because of the price... same quality mined diamonds would be at least 5x the price. Neither are exactly liquid investments and I'm not worried about resale, In any case, absolute loss would probably be no worse, possibly less with the LGD. And far less funds tied up and lower insurance cost (which is recurring) as well.

GDC is a manufacturer, but BrilliantEarth and others have at least some of their inventory in their database. You can register for an account and view their inventory. Their diamonds seem very nice, all well cut and certified by GCAL, which I prefer over IGI - GCAL gives far more information (including lower girdle facets which are important) plus some basic optical analysis, along with Gemprint. Grading seems at least as stringent as IGI, on average... maybe a little more strict with clarity.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm very much drawn to the LGD because of the price... same quality mined diamonds would be at least 5x the price. Neither are exactly liquid investments and I'm not worried about resale, In any case, absolute loss would probably be no worse, possibly less with the LGD. And far less funds tied up and lower insurance cost (which is recurring) as well.

Completely agree with all this.

Txborn79

Shiny_Rock

They’ll both be huge on a size 4 finger. Here’s the 4.33 on the left and the 5.26 on the right

2B3F80C0-1CEF-458D-991C-77D4274C67AA.png

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
She likes the size of the 5+ ct but I'm concerned once diamond is set it might be unwieldy on her finger. Not that there is a dramatic difference between 4.33 & 5.26 in terms of diameter/depth, only when side by side is the extra size particularly noticeable.

GDC is a manufacturer, but BrilliantEarth and others have at least some of their inventory in their database. You can register for an account and view their inventory. Their diamonds seem very nice, all well cut and certified by GCAL, which I prefer over IGI - GCAL gives far more information (including lower girdle facets which are important) plus some basic optical analysis, along with Gemprint. Grading seems at least as stringent as IGI, on average... maybe a little more strict with clarity.

Excellent information, my thoughts exactly!

I’m looking in the mid to upper 4 ct F VS1 range on a 5.50-75 finger size.

xraydoc

Rough_Rock
Yes both big, although the 5 is getting comically big!

I've used that sizing tool and it is quite useful.

I'm a relative amateur at assessing diamonds and was hoping to find something in the performance to help me make the decision, but both seem fantastic. The 5.26 has many more inclusions (VS2) but certainly seems to be eye clean, and it is a D. The 4.33 has better clarity (VS1) but is an E. The cut parameters seem slightly better on the 4.33 but cannot fault anything in the 5.26 from the videos and ASET data - not seeing any bad effects from the slightly high crown angle, the slightly less spread isn't an issue as it's > 11 mm. The cost difference between the two is substantial but not as much as would be expected, about 20%.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes both big, although the 5 is getting comically big!

If the size difference isn't a big deal, I'd get the 4.33 since it will still look huge on her and is maybe a tad better cut-wise.

The cost difference between the two is substantial but not as much as would be expected, about 20%.

That's interesting. I thought there'd be a bigger cost difference given the nearly 1 carat difference, the fact that the bigger one surpasses the 5ct mark, and the fact that it's a D. Is one of them a better "deal" than the other, and/or the other one is slightly overpriced?

xraydoc

Rough_Rock
Yes I think the 5.26 DVS2 is being offered at a much better discount.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results