shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on the Tiffany True?

act1980

Shiny_Rock
I'm looking at either purchasing a 3 carat cushion (GIA) or a 2 carat Tiffany True. I just waned to get peoples thoughts on the True as I know Tiffany mark up their diamonds but I do lie the fact that the cut is unique and can't be purchased anywhere else. For the diamond experts out there what are your opinions on the cut? Do you think the brilliance and fire etc are of a high standard and worth the extra cost?

Thanks for the help! :)

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
I would not pay extra for the Tiffany name because no one can tell what brand it is anyway and the specifics of each stone determine that stone's quality, regardless of what brand it is (though, of course, those brand names want you to think otherwise).

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would prefer size over brand so I would get the 3 ct cushion.

kb1gra

Brilliant_Rock
Cut is not unique. I bought a step crown/brilliant pavilion radiant two weeks ago. They are not easy to find (yet) but they are out there.

I do like the cut. 2ct at Tiffany is going to have a significant price. A 2.02 H/VS1 that I looked at was $47k. I wouldn't consider that worth it.

P

Petalouda

Not a diamond expert but I feel the Tiffany True looks better on their site than in person. JMO

kb1gra

Brilliant_Rock
Not a diamond expert but I feel the Tiffany True looks better on their site than in person. JMO

There was pretty significant variation in the cuts I saw. I really liked a .77 G/VVS1 and really disliked a 1.07 I/VVS2. Not sure if it doesn't scale well or there really is just that much variation in the cut.

Looking at diamonds on the open market with the same cut, there's significant variation in those too...here is a 3.02 F/VS2 with the mixed cut that I don't think is all that great:

A .70 that's significantly better:

Since Tiffany grades their own, I don't know what the range of "acceptable" is for them, but it seemed to be quite wide when I looked at 15+ examples in store.

Last edited:

stonehunter20

Shiny_Rock
i think the best way to answer your question is to compare those stones by taking a look at them yourself. can the vendor take videos or pictures of the stone? after comparing them, you may have an idea if the 2ct tiffany worth the hype. good luck!

Cristallo

Shiny_Rock

I agree. Tried on a few Tiffany True FY diamonds and was not impressed with the cut. Would not pay a premium for it.

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I tried on the True when they 1st came out & I wasn't impressed with its look or performance. Size wise, holy smokes it looked small. I would be going for a 3ct with an independent grading report over the 2ct Tiffany. A whole ct makes a big difference.

act1980

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the replies guys! Interesting what some of you have said about the cut and how it looks on the small size. You would think that with a brand like Tiffany the cut would be fairly uniform. I'm leaning towards a RB now as I think that would give the best performance, I would hope anyway! Was looking for a cushion but they seem hard to find and I like the faceting arrangement of the RB which seems harder to find in cushion

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
I would look at non-Tiffany asschers and radiant diamonds.

ClassicSAC

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the replies guys! Interesting what some of you have said about the cut and how it looks on the small size. You would think that with a brand like Tiffany the cut would be fairly uniform. I'm leaning towards a RB now as I think that would give the best performance, I would hope anyway! Was looking for a cushion but they seem hard to find and I like the faceting arrangement of the RB which seems harder to find in cushion

If you are looking for the best sparkle, then you should go for a round brilliant cut. I purchased a Tiffany True last year as a secondary ring (not to replace my original round brilliant ering) and it looked great in the store but when I got it home, it just didn’t have the same appeal. The diamond sits very low which is fine if that’s what you like. I thought it was overpriced so I returned. It doesn’t have the same wow factor that the older Lucida cushion cut style has.

Good luck with your search!

SandyK

Brilliant_Rock
If you want a cushion with similar performance/faceting of a round you could look into ideal cut hearts & arrows cushion like Brian Gavin - I don’t think they have the size you want but you could look into a custom cut. I saw one of his cushions (3ct, H color) in person and it was stunning.

kb1gra

Brilliant_Rock
If you want a cushion with similar performance/faceting of a round you could look into ideal cut hearts & arrows cushion like Brian Gavin - I don’t think they have the size you want but you could look into a custom cut. I saw one of his cushions (3ct, H color) in person and it was stunning.

Unfortunately, for those of us who like clipped corners, the square cushions don't really do it. A "square that looks like a round" isn't necessarily what everyone is going for.

SandyK

Brilliant_Rock
Unfortunately, for those of us who like clipped corners, the square cushions don't really do it. A "square that looks like a round" isn't necessarily what everyone is going for.

Yeah, just offering another option since she said she was considering a round and likes the faceting, which is hard to find a cushion.

act1980

Shiny_Rock
If you are looking for the best sparkle, then you should go for a round brilliant cut. I purchased a Tiffany True last year as a secondary ring (not to replace my original round brilliant ering) and it looked great in the store but when I got it home, it just didn’t have the same appeal. The diamond sits very low which is fine if that’s what you like. I thought it was overpriced so I returned. It doesn’t have the same wow factor that the older Lucida cushion cut style has.

Good luck with your search!

Wow thats pretty poor isn't it. Good that you could return it though! A cushion brilliant will sparkle the same as a RB won't it but it's just finding them, most cushions are modified or have the crushed ice look which doesn't appeal to me.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow thats pretty poor isn't it. Good that you could return it though! A cushion brilliant will sparkle the same as a RB won't it but it's just finding them, most cushions are modified or have the crushed ice look which doesn't appeal to me.

No, because cushions aren't cut the same way as a round. Unless you find one of the h&a style cushions (one was suggested above), it will be a very different "flavor" of sparkle

act1980

Shiny_Rock
No, because cushions aren't cut the same way as a round. Unless you find one of the h&a style cushions (one was suggested above), it will be a very different "flavor" of sparkle

Excuse me if I sound stupid, but how will it sparkle differently? I assume a cushion would be more subtle perhaps whereas RB has more of a wow factor?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results