image of diamont.png Hello ideal scope.jpg
This is G-VS2 Diamond 2.10 carat.
Table 56
Depth 61.5
Crown 34.5
Pavillion 40.8

HCA score 1.3
GIA Triple ex.

Price will be around 25k(originally I wanted to get 2 carat diamond with H coloar and SI1, but I could not find the right one so I just choose G VS2 and prices goes up... :( )
Do you think it would be good choice?
Everything looks good but ideal scope image.. doesn't look good to me.

How do you think so?

Thanksss!!

Last edited:

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is the poster child example why people need ASET or IS images before buying, and why precision faceting matters!

The table, depth and crown/pavilion angle combo are great. As a result it scores very well on the HCA, at 1.3.

But that white spot at 9 o'clock is leakage and will be a dead spot when viewing the diamond.

Still better than a good majority of triple X stones. I'd keep looking but admittedly I want maximum performance and that would drive me bonkers.

Have you looked at some super ideals, or are you stuck on JA? I'd suggest WF, HPD, BGD and VC. In addition to precision faceting and a full array of images (ASET, IS, H&A, etc) you get superior upgrade programs and also since the stones are vetted by a professional team and kept in house, you can sometimes get away with lower clarity stones that are still eye clean allowing you to maximize dollars.

One pet peeve of mine is JA blanks out GIA numbers in an attempt to keep customers for shopping for that same diamond elsewhere for cheaper (as most their stones are virtual inventory). Recently we've seen JA stones marked up higher than the identical triple X stone elsewhere. Not sure that's the case here, but if so maybe you can stretch your dollars differently elsewhere.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks good except for the weird thing at 9 o clock. Any experts know what that is, or how that happens? Looking at the stone in pics/video I wouldn't expect to see anything like that.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So I'm on my laptop now and did a little searching. For the same money, you have some super ideal options available that won't suffer from the performance issues of the current JA stone and will give you access to considerably better upgrade programs.

WF ACA 2.18 G SI1 @ $25,832
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3999632.htm

55.8 table, 61.7 depth, 34.4 crown, 40.8 pavilion & 77 LGF

Very similar in size and angle proportions to the JA stone, except this one has true H&A faceting so all the images look rather magnificent. Also, look at the video -- can you say sparkle bomb? Winnner winner, chicken dinner! :love: :love:

Love this stone. Added perk is it measures out slightly larger than the JA stone at 8.33 x 8.35, although in fairness that's more for bragging rights as the difference is so minor your eyes probably can't appreciate it.

My only concern is the SI1 clarity. In the magnified video you obviously see some inclusions, but the site says it's eye clean and since WF vets and stocks all these stones in-house then they can easily pull the stone and confirm it's eye clean or not. Assuming so, this is a great bang for the buck as you get are getting true H&A, killer upgrade program, color you want and slightly bigger size for a few hundred bucks difference.

WF ACA 1.995 G VS2 @ $24,574
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4092514.htm

55.7 table, 61.8 depth, 34.7 crown, 40.7 pavilion & 77 LGF

Lovely stone with small table and lots of fire! No leakage whatsoever, as this baby is firing on all cylinders and is a sparkle bomb! Upgrade program is simple -- spend $1 more and get full credit of the original purchase with no other restrictions!

I know weight is just under the 2 carat mark, but look at the dimensions -- 8.04 x 8.08. The JA stone measures 8.25 x 8.24, so we are talking about 0.20mm variance (or about 1/128th of an inch). This is just right at the point that in a SIDE BY SIDE comparison the human eye can detect a minor difference. If not side by side, you'd never know it was different.

You save $1,000 and avoid the 2 carat weight premium cost, plus you get a H&A stone and killer upgrade program. No brainer IMO if the size is acceptable.

WF ACA 1.988 G VS1 @ $25,484
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4091550.htm

56.5 table, 61.1 depth, 34.2 crown, 40.9 pavilion & 77 LGF

Love this stone. Table is slightly larger than the last and here you are getting a shallower crown coupled with a steeper pavilion. As you can see in the images and videos, this is still a magnificent stone performance wise.

However, because of the different angle combinations, you squeeze out a little more spread dimensionally than some of the higher carat weight stones. This one measures out at 8.12 x 8.14! That's only about 0.10mm variance from the larger JA stone, or about 1/256th inch. Some folks won't even be able to see a size difference when side by side.

Another perk here, you get the VS1 clarity. While probably overkill I love it honestly. Again, same upgrade program and a true H&A stone.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your options continue...

HPD/CBI 2.06 G SI1 @ $24,612
https://www.hpdiamonds.com/en-us/diamonddetail/HPD10047

55.4 table, 61.7 depth, 34.5 crown, 40.8 pavilion & 77 LGF

Honestly, can't believe this stone is here for this price. Normally HPD/CBI stones are a little more than WF ACA's but this is a great value! Slighly smaller than the 2.18 WF ACA but still measures out at 8.19 x 8.20 which is almost identical to the JA stone.

Killer proportions and has the same awesome upgrade program as WF -- spend $1 more and get full credit of the original stone. Plus, when buying through HPD (love Wink, btw!) you get an 80% buyback policy for life! That's a phenomenal package, and something no one matches.

My concern is simple -- in the magnified video, you see some imperfections. But again, call Wink and have them pull this stone from their safe and confirm it's eye clean. Both WF And HPD are extremely trustworthy companies that stock their stones in-house and has qualified staff onboard that can you have an HONEST opinion if it's eye clean.

Read some reviews, and you will learn that HPD/CBI tends to under promise and over deliver so I think this will be a magnificent stone -- for about $1,000 less than the JA stone. True H&A, killer upgrade & buyback programs, etc. Freakin' love it!

HPD/CBI 2.01 G VS2 @ $24,074
https://www.hpdiamonds.com/en-us/diamonddetail/HPD7776

56.7 table, 61.3 depth, 34.5 crown, 40.9 pavilion & 77 LGF

Holy crap, someone pinch me. Rarely do you see a CBI stone with medium blue fluor. The price reflects this and this is a phenomenal deal!!. Many people would jump on this deal here as you are getting a premier cut stone and fluor (which gets a discount & many people love).

This stone measures slightly smaller at 8.12 x 8.15, but again it's so minimal it's a non-issue from my perspective.

Still a true H&A stone, and all the other perks. Again, have them pull and confirm it's eye clean but I see no major concerns here.

Honestly, bang for buck this would probably be my selection. Hopefully you put this on reserve ASAP!!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your options continue...

HPD/CBI 2.06 G SI1 @ $24,612
https://www.hpdiamonds.com/en-us/diamonddetail/HPD10047

55.4 table, 61.7 depth, 34.5 crown, 40.8 pavilion & 77 LGF

Honestly, can't believe this stone is here for this price. Normally HPD/CBI stones are a little more than WF ACA's but this is a great value! Slighly smaller than the 2.18 WF ACA but still measures out at 8.19 x 8.20 which is almost identical to the JA stone.

Killer proportions and has the same awesome upgrade program as WF -- spend $1 more and get full credit of the original stone. Plus, when buying through HPD (love Wink, btw!) you get an 80% buyback policy for life! That's a phenomenal package, and something no one matches.

My concern is simple -- in the magnified video, you see some imperfections. But again, call Wink and have them pull this stone from their safe and confirm it's eye clean. Both WF And HPD are extremely trustworthy companies that stock their stones in-house and has qualified staff onboard that can you have an HONEST opinion if it's eye clean.

Read some reviews, and you will learn that HPD/CBI tends to under promise and over deliver so I think this will be a magnificent stone -- for about $1,000 less than the JA stone. True H&A, killer upgrade & buyback programs, etc. Freakin' love it!

HPD/CBI 2.01 G VS2 @ $24,074
https://www.hpdiamonds.com/en-us/diamonddetail/HPD7776

56.7 table, 61.3 depth, 34.5 crown, 40.9 pavilion & 77 LGF

Holy crap, someone pinch me. Rarely do you see a CBI stone with medium blue fluor. The price reflects this and this is a phenomenal deal!!. Many people would jump on this deal here as you are getting a premier cut stone and fluor (which gets a discount & many people love).

This stone measures slightly smaller at 8.12 x 8.15, but again it's so minimal it's a non-issue from my perspective.

Still a true H&A stone, and all the other perks. Again, have them pull and confirm it's eye clean but I see no major concerns here.

Honestly, bang for buck this would probably be my selection. Hopefully you put this on reserve ASAP!!
I would take one of these options over any of the others. CBI stones are amazing, and wink is an honest guy who will have stones pulled and inspected. Obviously WF is great too, but CBI would be my personal preference.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was also searching the BGD and VC sites. Couldn't find anything in size, price and color at VC. BGD didn't have any G options that were comparable in price, but they did have this H stone.

In fairness, I didn't search/review/pull H stones from WF or HPD. They may have equally comparably priced options. If this price is easier for you to swallow, let us know and we can mend our alternate search options. With the others I was just trying to give you something comparable to the JA stone so you could see better options exist for the same dollars, without any real sacrifice.

So here's the curve ball, since you started searching H SI1 to start with....

BGD Signature 2.064 H SI1 @ $21,738
https://www.briangavindiamonds.com/...s/2.064-h-si1-round-diamond-ags-1040381680012

57 table, 61.1 depth, 34.7 crown, 40.8 pavilion & 76 LGF

Stone measures out at 8.19 x 8.21 which is a near match to the JA stone.

Another true H&A stone from another trusted vendor. Quality wise, you are in good hands here. Upgrade polices are a little more strict -- spend $1 more AND you must upgrade 2 of the following 3 to get full credit of your original stone: carat weight, color or clarity.

The clarity cert has some clouds on the table which is a little concerning, with a note that says additional clouds not shown. Typically, the super ideal vendors like BGD, WF, HPD, etc understand their buyers and I assume these are non-issues, but if interested you need to confirm this stone is eye clean and there are no clarity issues. It doesn't appear to be an issue by the videos I see. And again, BGD is like WF and HPD in the fact they vet and stock their stones in-house and will have qualified people to pull and review the stones on your behalf and yield you an honest review & opinion of the stone.

skypie

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Are we sure it's not just overly bright backlighting? It seem likes 95% of the time it's not really leakage but overly bright backlighting. :lol:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are we sure it's not just overly bright backlighting? It seem likes 95% of the time it's not really leakage but overly bright backlighting. :lol:

Wouldn't that affect more than just the one weird facet? I'm honestly trying to figure out what would cause that one leaky spot. @Karl_K, @Wink, @flyingpig and other experts, without commenting on the quality of this stone in particular, can you speak in general to why this would happen?

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium

@Karl_K discussed a trick to determine overly bright back lighting in a different thread. It was simple -- look at the shades of the cutlet as a reference point and then compare to the rest of the image.

I circled that in yellow and then the more severe lighter pink spots I also circled in yellow. See how those are within the same range? To me, those are back lighting issues.

But the blue circled area with the white (not just light pink) is true leakage, and is more severe than any shade difference you see in the cutlet.

Inkedideal scope_LI.jpg

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Wouldn't that affect more than just the one weird facet? I'm honestly trying to figure out what would cause that one leaky spot. @Karl_K, @Wink, @flyingpig and other experts, without commenting on the quality of this stone in particular, can you speak in general to why this would happen?
Wide ranging pavilions and twisted lowers to get EX symmetry.
It is done to get good numbers on the report while keeping some weight.
Basically taking the skills needed to cut h&a and using it for evil because to pull it off consistently and get the grade takes a high level of control of cutting the pavilion.
It is eye visible and to pattern orientated people will stand out like a sore thumb in many lighting conditions.
1/8 or in some cases 1/4 of the diamond will look off from the rest under numerous lighting conditions.
Even if it dont stand out immediately to someone it is something that can cause someone to think hey there is something off about it in some lighting but not know what.
I would rather see no optical symmetry than these stones.
The sad thing is they have figured out how to sneak them into ags0.
The even sadder part is they are creeping into other vendors stock, because they are ags0, that you would expect to reject them.
If You get the idea that they tick me off, your right :}

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Basically taking the skills needed to cut h&a and using it for evil because to pull it off consistently and get the grade takes a high level of control of cutting the pavilion.
It is eye visible and to pattern orientated people will stand out like a sore thumb in many lighting conditions.
1/8 or in some cases 1/4 of the diamond will look off from the rest under numerous lighting conditions.
Even if it dont stand out immediately to someone it is something that can cause someone to think hey there is something off about it in some lighting but not know what.
The even sadder part is they are creeping into other vendors stock, because they are ags0, that you would expect to reject them.
If You get the idea that they tick me off your right :}
That's fascinating, thank you!!!! And ugh, thats really a shady practice!

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I'd value their input as well. I think the short answer is that in that particular area, one of the values fell out of whack/precision. Remember, the crown & pavilion angles reported on a GIA report is EIGHT actual values that then gets averaged and rounded.

Looking at a detailed SARIN report would likely show bunk values here, which is causing the leakage.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Karl_K discussed a trick to determine overly bright back lighting in a different thread. It was simple -- look at the shades of the cutlet as a reference point and then compare to the rest of the image.

I circled that in yellow and then the more severe lighter pink spots I also circled in yellow. See how those are within the same range? To me, those are back lighting issues.

But the blue circled area with the white (not just light pink) is true leakage, and is more severe than any shade difference you see in the cutlet.

Inkedideal scope_LI.jpg
Haha I also learned that trick from @Karl_K ! It's been very useful when trying to "read" these images.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thank you @Karl_K, great explanation!

FYI, I'm the guy that walks into a building or home and sees pictures/art that is tilted or not in center to the room by minute differences. Something like this would drive me absolutely bat crap crazy, even though my girl would be wearing it. Hence the reason I stated early on I'd keep looking for a better stone if I were the OP, especially for $25k.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Looking at a detailed SARIN report would likely show bunk values here, which is causing the leakage.
You would see the variation in the mains but the number for the lowers where the damage is done might not be that far off, its averaged for a single number and depending on the twist the average may not be glaringly off.
However take the total data set and do a ray trace for a virtual image and it shows up like it does in the real image.
However the virtual image may be a bit off from real images because non-contact scanners are not as precise at measuring twisted facets.

JKY86

Rough_Rock
This is the poster child example why people need ASET or IS images before buying, and why precision faceting matters!

The table, depth and crown/pavilion angle combo are great. As a result it scores very well on the HCA, at 1.3.

But that white spot at 9 o'clock is leakage and will be a dead spot when viewing the diamond.

Still better than a good majority of triple X stones. I'd keep looking but admittedly I want maximum performance and that would drive me bonkers.

Have you looked at some super ideals, or are you stuck on JA? I'd suggest WF, HPD, BGD and VC. In addition to precision faceting and a full array of images (ASET, IS, H&A, etc) you get superior upgrade programs and also since the stones are vetted by a professional team and kept in house, you can sometimes get away with lower clarity stones that are still eye clean allowing you to maximize dollars.

One pet peeve of mine is JA blanks out GIA numbers in an attempt to keep customers for shopping for that same diamond elsewhere for cheaper (as most their stones are virtual inventory). Recently we've seen JA stones marked up higher than the identical triple X stone elsewhere. Not sure that's the case here, but if so maybe you can stretch your dollars differently elsewhere.

That is so true..yeah looks not bad but since spend lots of money, I want maximum performance.. I paid first and they sent me this image and now I regret. I think I need to pend this order.

JKY86

Rough_Rock
So I'm on my laptop now and did a little searching. For the same money, you have some super ideal options available that won't suffer from the performance issues of the current JA stone and will give you access to considerably better upgrade programs.

Very similar in size and angle proportions to the JA stone, except this one has true H&A faceting so all the images look rather magnificent. Also, look at the video -- can you say sparkle bomb? Winnner winner, chicken dinner! :love: :love:

Love this stone. Added perk is it measures out slightly larger than the JA stone at 8.33 x 8.35, although in fairness that's more for bragging rights as the difference is so minor your eyes probably can't appreciate it.

My only concern is the SI1 clarity. In the magnified video you obviously see some inclusions, but the site says it's eye clean and since WF vets and stocks all these stones in-house then they can easily pull the stone and confirm it's eye clean or not. Assuming so, this is a great bang for the buck as you get are getting true H&A, killer upgrade program, color you want and slightly bigger size for a few hundred bucks difference.

Lovely stone with small table and lots of fire! No leakage whatsoever, as this baby is firing on all cylinders and is a sparkle bomb! Upgrade program is simple -- spend $1 more and get full credit of the original purchase with no other restrictions!

I know weight is just under the 2 carat mark, but look at the dimensions -- 8.04 x 8.08. The JA stone measures 8.25 x 8.24, so we are talking about 0.20mm variance (or about 1/128th of an inch). This is just right at the point that in a SIDE BY SIDE comparison the human eye can detect a minor difference. If not side by side, you'd never know it was different.

You save $1,000 and avoid the 2 carat weight premium cost, plus you get a H&A stone and killer upgrade program. No brainer IMO if the size is acceptable.

Love this stone. Table is slightly larger than the last and here you are getting a shallower crown coupled with a steeper pavilion. As you can see in the images and videos, this is still a magnificent stone performance wise.

However, because of the different angle combinations, you squeeze out a little more spread dimensionally than some of the higher carat weight stones. This one measures out at 8.12 x 8.14! That's only about 0.10mm variance from the larger JA stone, or about 1/256th inch. Some folks won't even be able to see a size difference when side by side.

Another perk here, you get the VS1 clarity. While probably overkill I love it honestly. Again, same upgrade program and a true H&A stone.

Thank you for finding better options!! I rrally appreciate that. Does 0.10mm difference is unnoticeable? I mean, the reason why I choose JA stone over whiteflash was the price. But 0.15 carat is not big deal, huh? Thanks!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for finding better options!! I rrally appreciate that. Does 0.10mm difference is unnoticeable? I mean, the reason why I choose JA stone over whiteflash was the price. But 0.15 carat is not big deal, huh? Thanks!
It's very hard to notice .1mm in real life. The typical thing we tell people is the .2mm is where the difference begins to be noticeable, but mostly if you have them side by side. Over 2mm it starts being pretty obvious. But I would 100% go with WF over this JA stone, especially if the difference is size is so small. I'd cancel this order if I were you.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You're very welcome @JKY86.

And I would echo @lovedogs comments that 0.10mm is barely detectable in real life. Again, think about 1/256th of an inch. Most rulers go to about 1/16 or 1/32 inch. This would be 15x smaller than 1/16 inch or about 7x smaller than 1/32 inch.

People get hung up on carat weight, but the reality is simple. Carat weight is a function of length x width x depth x 0.0061. As the table size, crown angle, pavilion angle, etc change it has small effects on the length, width and depth of a stone.

I'm less worried about carat weight and more about dimensions and the sparkle factor.

The stones I listed as alternates are all designed for maximum fire/sparkle. But not all stones are cut this precise. Why? Because when cutting, if you can "hide" weight, it will fetch a higher price. It's no secrete a 2 carat poorly stone will cost more than a 1.9xx carat precisely cut heart & arrow stone because it weighs more, but also because getting to "magic weights" (1.5 carats, 2 carats, etc) will demand a higher $ premium per carat.

Essentially, whoever cut the JA stone "cheated" to keep a little extra weight in the stone which is what Karl noted earlier, and why we are seeing a dead spot at the 9 o'clock position. The IS image revealed the issue.

IMO, the JA stone is a hard reject. I'd personally be considering either the HPD or WF stones. Both are splendid vendors that will run circles around JA in terms of overall customer service & satisfaction and both will have true H&A faceting that will maximize fire/sparkle with no dead spots. All for the same or less money with no real trade offs.

JKY86

Rough_Rock

Inkedideal scope_LI.jpg [/QUOTE

Thank you for your help. Wow that is really bad practice! That helps me a lot. I was only looking at angles and ratios. Now I realize that they can actually trick it. I though I studied a lot and learned a lot, but still way to go. Thanks a lot!

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I look at the IS and the arrow shafts on the left are not the same length as those on the right. So I think tilt might be at play here.

Having said that, the actual diamond image, it is fairly easy to see the area in between arrow shafts that is a different colour compared to the rest of them.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I look at the IS and the arrow shafts on the left are not the same length as those on the right. So I think tilt might be at play here.

Having said that, the actual diamond image, it is fairly easy to see the area in between arrow shafts that is a different colour compared to the rest of them.
Yep its tilted. The longer arrow shafts point in the direction of the tilt.
It would look even worse without the tilt.

JKY86

Rough_Rock

Now I am checking diamond at whiteflash.
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4091548.htm
How about this diamond compared to 1.995 g-vs2 dismond or g-vs1 dismond?

Are all aca dismond good? Or they can be better among them too? I mean, all looks good to me! lol
Thanks!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Now I am checking diamond at whiteflash.
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4091548.htm
How about this diamond compared to 1.995 g-vs2 dismond or g-vs1 dismond?

Are all aca dismond good? Or they can be better among them too? I mean, all looks good to me! lol
Thanks!
All are among the best. Everyone has their specific preferences, but overall you could pretty much blindly pick an ACA and be happy (obviously while still paying attention to size, color, etc)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results