shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on Solitare Diamond

Deftness

Rough_Rock
Hello,

First, I want to say how thankful I am for this community as it's a little frightening trying to select a diamond, especially online! I've learned a lot about things to look for in a diamond & its structure, but I just want to make sure I'm not missing something big.

I'm currently looking at a 1.3 carat diamond for $7400 for my soon-to-be fiancee (hopefully) on James Allen. My budget for just the diamond could go as high as $8850 (already know the setting I want here: http://www.jamesallen.com/engagemen...-solitaire-engagement-ring-handmade-item-2426), but surprisingly I didn't seem to find something that was 'better' when I looked at more expensive diamonds (in my range of course). The clarity, although quite high, I wasn't particularly after (as any diamond better than VS1, I couldn't even see it at 20X magnification, let alone without a loupe).

SHAPE: Round
CARAT WEIGHT: 1.30
COLOR: I
CLARITY: VVS1
CUT: Excellent
POLISH: Excellent
SYMMETRY: Excellent
FLUORESCENCE: Faint
L/W/D (MM): 7.04*6.99*4.32

L/W RATIO: 1.01
DEPTH %: 61.60
GIRDLE: Medium
TABLE %: 56.00
CULET: None
CERTIFICATE: GIA
CROWN ∠: 35.50
CROWN %: 15.50
PAVILION ∠: 40.60

PAVILION %: 42.50

HCA

Factor Grade
Light Return Excellent
Fire Excellent
Scintillation Excellent
Spread or diameter for weight Very Good

HCA VALUE: 1.3

Although it is listed as a "I", I was really surprised looking at the side of the diamond how there was very little yellow in it compared to some I's that seemed very yellow. Of course this could be some sorcery of the camera :).

Overall, do you think this diamond would be a good performer or might there be something I'm missing?

I also started considering (as since this is not an ideal cut) that maybe I should see the idealscope photos, however upon request, James Allen said that this diamond was outside of the NYC diamond district, so evaluating the symmetry from that perspective I think is out of the question.

So I guess I'm just wondering, with a HCA value of 1.3 & rated by GIA for excellent in all 3, does this seem like a bad idea or any last things I should consider about this particular diamond?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results