shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on Ring Design?

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
I'm thinking about something like this, but without the gap between the top of the stone and the halo, and a couple of other changes:
1707286429260.jpeg

With this sapphire that I just ordered:

yellow sapphire.jpg

Thoughts on it or other ideas welcome. I want to do something besides the usual halo of same-size white diamonds for this one.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmmmm, I would probably set the oval yellow Sapphire towards the base, and retain some sort of a gap, so as to highlight the swirling effect.

Without the gap, it looks kind of like an odd-shaped double halo to me.

Personal preferences and all that jazz.

DK :))

CMN

Brilliant_Rock
I do love it with the gap but I also think your alternative, mocked up by @Neptune, works.

added: hmm, just realised if you need to use that oval yellow sapphire you are not going to get the same look with the gap as per the inspiration photo which uses what appears to be a cushion shape - I would go with the no gap look then.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Do y’all think a small airgap all around the sapphire would look good or just odd?

Also, now I’m wondering if the “ocean wave” vibe of it even works with a yellow stone. It might just make more sense with an “ocean color” (blue or blue-green) stone?

I’m also wondering why the stone was so inexpensive compared to similar ones I’ve seen.

Last edited:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do y’all think a small airgap all around the sapphire would look good or just odd?

Also, now I’m wondering if the “ocean wave” vibe of it even works with a yellow stone. It might just make more sense with an “ocean color” (blue or blue-green) stone?

I’m also wondering why the stone was so inexpensive compared to similar ones I’ve seen.

Personally, in the original asymmetrical setting, I do not believe a uniform all around air gap would look good.

I would not associate "ocean wave" with a yellow stone myself.

Perhaps the darker centre as seen in the pic could put some people off, hence the lower price?

luckygreen317

Brilliant_Rock
Hmmmm, I would probably set the oval yellow Sapphire towards the base, and retain some sort of a gap, so as to highlight the swirling effect.

Without the gap, it looks kind of like an odd-shaped double halo to me.

Personal preferences and all that jazz.

luckygreen317

Brilliant_Rock
I love the unique design concept and the yellow sapphire will be showcased. I tend to agree with having a small gap between the stone and the design. I would want the stone to be framed but not visually obstruct the design.

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
What about the same basic design but with a square halo/swirl as the center stone is round?

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Okay, I think I've changed my mind (assuming I keep the yellow sapphire after I see it in person). After considering the input on here, I'm not sure about the ring design above with this stone. And I think I'd get more wear out of a simple, everyday pendant anyway.

Here's the yellow sapphire again. It should be here tomorrow:
yellow sapphire.jpg

I want to have a yellow gold claw-like setting for the pendant, like the ones in this ring (Whoever this ring belongs to, please tell me if you don't like your pic here and I'll request to have it removed). I want it to be an east-west setting with the chain attached at both ends, and short, almost choker length.
inspo ring200.jpg

Thanks for the help so far, all. Much appreciated. :)

Last edited:

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Well, I spoke too soon. I just got the sapphire and, after going back and forth about it for a while, I've decided to return it. I took some photos in case anyone else wants to consider it, but the sun decided to hide so they don't show it at its best bright golden yellow. It is definitely a lively stone in real life, though, and more bright and yellow than my awful pics below. It looks much more like the vendor's photo. I mainly just wanted to show that it does not have a dark spot in the center in reality.

In the end, I am not dead set on having a mined sapphire. So, for me, I feel like I could get more wow factor (a larger stone, mainly) for less money. Oh well, thanks all for your help anyway. :)

yellsapp1.jpg

yellsapp2.jpg

Last edited:

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love it! It’s great to see unusual settings.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Love it! It’s great to see unusual settings.

Thanks. I'll definitely keep it in my "inspo folder" and maybe get back to it later. :)

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Just wanted to add that the vendor, Litnon, issued a refund promptly and graciously. Always important to know who is easy to work with. :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results