shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on Richmond, VA?

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I know we have quite a few PSers from VA, so I thought I'd ask about living and working in the Richmond area. My husband works (remotely) in IT for a large healthcare company, and their division offices are in Richmond. He's going to be working for another department within the division soon, and his new boss is aware that we live in a different region. She's okay with that, as far as I know.

I'm searching for a new elementary teaching position in my region, and I thought (as much as the idea overwhelms me!) that it could be a good time to look elsewhere and consider other options, as well. Moving isn't my first choice but teaching positions are hard to come by here because of declining enrollment and budget cuts in many, many districts. If we were to move, the Richmond area is the most logical place to consider because we'd be closer to my husband's office.

The funny thing is, we lived in the south for a year and we moved back 4 years ago to be closer to friends and family. (Then a year ago, we moved to another region in our state to be closer to the water.) Making another big move, farther from everyone we know and farther from the water, in a relatively short amount of time isn't something I'd usually consider. We moved back home for a reason, so it doesn't seem to make sense to think of moving far away again. I've done it once though and I might be able to do it again IF it was for the right environment and position.

I'm going to check City Data for more info, but I thought I'd find out what PSers' opinions of what the Richmond area is like.

Thoughts?

aviastar

Brilliant_Rock
I went to school in Richmond, so I experienced the city as a college kid and a brand new grad, almost ten years ago now (OMG TEN YEARS).

Things I loved, loved, loved: Hollywood Cemetary, Belle Isle and the James River, Maymont Park, The Science Museum, The Fan, the restaurants, carytown, and Shockoe Slip/Bottom.

There is a fun arts scene, outdoor concerts and street festivals. It's a small city and is southern in its nature- there are statues of Robert E. Lee. You can live on the river to be near water, but the beach is a good 1.5-2 hours away depending on traffic. Traffic is not good and parking in the city is pretty awful. There wasn't a good market there at the time for what I was trying to do, but I hear it's picked up economically a lot in the last ten years. I lived in the Fan, which I am not sure I would want to return to now, as a more adult adult, but there are really great neighborhoods all over. There are also not so great neighborhoods, but not any more than you'd find in any other city.

There is a certain Richmond-ness that is hard to describe unless you've lived there. It's artsy and casual and a little off the beaten track. I returned to my rural roots and wouldn't consider any city now to be a really viable option for myself, but I have very fond memories in Richmond. These are just my general memories and impressions, I've been gone too long for specifics, but I'd be happy to try and answer any questions!

Sky56

Brilliant_Rock
I heard that Richmond has a high violent crime rate. Correct me if I am mistaken.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks aviastar and Sky!

aviastar, even though my husband's been to Richmond quite a few times for meetings and training sessions, he hasn't actually had time to explore the city or its surrounding area. He usually flies in for just a couple of days before heading back home.

Sky, I hadn't heard that about Richmond, but I haven't done much research yet. I'm not sure we'll actually move, right now I'm just thinking about the possibilities and whether it would be worth looking into more seriously. The possible high crime rate is something to consider.

Since my husband works remotely, he isn't tied to one specific area so it wouldn't *have* to be Richmond that we relocate to (if that happens). I mentioned that city because it's where his offices are and it seems like a logical choice, but he really can work anywhere. We'd need to move to a place where teaching prospects are good, and ideally, I'd have something already lined up before making another big move. It wouldn't make sense (to me) to spend all the costs associated with a large move, settle into a brand new city far from everyone we know, only to not end up getting a job.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
I'll be good and not start this thread with run, don't walk away :lol: 8) (do we have an innocent smiley that I'm missing?)

I lived in Richmond as a child growing up, so I don't remember a whole lot. I know my mother loved it and wished we could have stayed there. She constantly tells my father moving away from Richmond was their greatest mistake (We went to LA, and I don't mean the city, after Richmond). I just remember there was always a lot going on. We went downtown alot for concerts or too parks. There was a huge garden/ plantation nearbye that did movies on the lawn on fridays nights. It was very family friendly. It was the one place we lived that did do block parties so all of our neighbors were very close. We actaully still 25 years later keep in touch with our neighbors who are still there. The few times I have gone back in recent visits my biggest complaint is traffic. Traffic can get horrible and it doesn't help that 95 runs through the city. They added on 295 to assist with the 95 traffic that runs around Richmond now so I think that has helped. If i were looking into moving there I woul check out some of the areas right outside Richmond to live. Avoid the city tax, have a bit more space but still be close to civilization.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
The Richmond area is one we are considering when we move (downsize) next year. Housing is affordable, especially outside Richmond in the Piedmont. You're close enough to the coast to go to the beach on weekends, easily. A lot goes on there -- tons of things to do. It's also crammed with history -- beginning of this country, Civil War, Jamestown, old plantations, Williamsburg isn't far. For anything-you-can-name, DC is close. That's why the traffic is bad, but if you live outside the city it needn't affect your daily life. I don't know about school quality, but assume it's good, with many Washington workers wanting education for their kids. There are beautiful towns & countryside nearby. Worth a look.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks SB and JF!

We're open to the surrounding communities because as I mentioned, my husband's doesn't need to go into the office. If we relocate to the Richmond area, it would be convenient for him to attend meetings in person, but it's not a necessity.

My husband hasn't been to DC but he's dying to visit. I know part of him would love to move down there just to be close to the city and all there is to do and see there.

As far as what we're looking for, we like being close enough to conveniences of everyday life while living in a fairly quiet neighborhood. If we moved, we'd definitely rent.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
I'm sure you could find that sort of environment easily. There are a ton of smaller towns around Richmond & even some countryside if you desire that. Why not do some roaming on Zillow or Trulia, or google rental real estate Richmond area & see what comes up? I do a lot of that -- it's fun.

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
I live in Northern Va but I loved Richmond when I visited and can't wait to go back! If you read the blog younghouselove.com, they live in Richmond and post a lot about it. 8)

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't know the Richmond area, but if I had to move back to Virginia I think I would opt for the Charlottesville (University of Virginia) area, which has a lot of suburbs that are really country with inexpensive land. It is near a university and has intelligent people around, but is rural and beautiful and relatively inexpensive. I don't know what the market is for teaching jobs, but if I were you I'd look into it if Richmond has a high crime rate. I have a close friend who lives in Keswick and loves it. She grew up in Tennessee and finds northern Virginia to be infinitely superior. She especially prefers the way that people in Virginia treat their dogs. (She feels that they appreciate them.) ;))

Deb/AGBF
:saint:

Narwhal

Shiny_Rock
I (and some other PSers) posted a bit about my Richmond experiences here https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/help-us-move-plzzzzzz.198343/

It would be helpful to know what size city you are in now. Because I find the "traffic" laughable. Nothing compared to the hours of waiting in Boston/Chicago/NOVA or Balt outer loop. But I tend to stick to 295, 64 and 84. I love the airport- super cheap econo lot parking, they come pick you up, write down you car spot number.... Never find that in a larger city. My husband and I almost lost it when we parked for free in Carytown garage. We kept thinking there would be a catch or scam like in Balt, would our car be here when we get back? It was :appl: We are very much enjoying the weather and smaller city.

Lots to do, the festivals are rivaling Chicago's amount! We have something every weekend that we want to go to. Last weekend we had 4 things we had to choose from. And we haven't even gotten to the big attractions like Maymont and museums yet.

But if you are from a smaller area, maybe all these things wouldn't be so impressive. And it depends on where you want to live. We chose 15-30 mins outside of the city, with 4.5 acres for our hobby farm. So happy to have my Target, Panera and Grocery store in less than 10 mins away and all the shopping I want in the area a bit further. We did have to look hard at internet options when house shopping. but we were looking more agricultural, so in the city shouldn't be an issue.

We haven't had any issue with crime in our area. Doors get left unlocked etc, but it does happen on the nightly news. I think there are areas that are not so hot, like any city. And Petersburgh/Hopewell below is also sharing the crime, but not been there to see if it is a full picture.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
JF, I'll look into real estate just to see what's out there. Thanks for the suggestion.

Feb03Bride, I've read their blog but I don't read it regularly. I'll check it out and see what they have to say. Thanks for the recommendation.

Thanks Deb! I've heard Charlottesville is nice. I'm not familiar with it though, but it could be worth looking into.

Narwhal, I posted in that thread but had forgotten about it. Thanks for the link! I'll go back and read it again. We live in what is referred to as a city but I find that a joke. There's nothing CITY about it. It's big enough to have a few elementary schools as opposed to just one, but that's about it. There's a bus system but I think it's mainly used to get people to the nearby university. We live about an hour away from Boston, and while I don't deal with Boston traffic that often, it's something I have dealt with when I worked there years ago. I'm very familiar with it. Not fun to do every work day, but fine to deal with when we drive there for the day or a weekend.

We'd definitely like to be close enough to stores and the usual conveniences of everyday life. We don't want to have to plan a day trip to run to the mall, you know? We're fine with shops and restaurants, etc. being about 10 minutes or so away. We're 15 minutes from the mall now and that's good. We like to have things to do on the weekends, so we're always checking something out. I think we're fine with being anywhere from 15 minutes - 30+ minutes away from the city. We're really flexible there, though.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Deb, that's a great suggestion. I'm currently leaning toward the Lexington area in VA too. Plan a trip soon to look around -- I've been to Richmond/Petersburg/Charles City county etc., several times & love all the history there. But there is plenty of that in western VA too & more rural, which is important to me. Plus being near Charlottesville -- one thing I love is that old morons like me can take courses free at UVA. House prices are pretty good too, if you stay a bit away from C'ville. It certainly is beautiful & seems to have a lot of things to do, good shops & restaurants, plus you can toddle across to eastern VA if there's something you want to do. There are some super small towns that don't seem to feel "small" if you know what I mean.

Worth thinking about, Zoe.

--- Laurie

princesss

Ideal_Rock
*delurking just for this*

Hi Zoe! Long time, no chat!

I just want to second Deb's suggestion of C'ville - it's a fantastic place, and only about an hour from Richmond. Laurie is right, areas just outside of Cville proper are much more affordable than downtown and have good schools (Crozet in particular). M (I don't think you two ever met, but you were in NC while he and I were still together, so I'm sure you heard me talk about him) is from outside of Cville and lives downtown now. When I was still in the US I would try to go up there at least once a year, I just love it. It's one of the few places in the US I'd consider living - great weather, gorgeous locations, you can take classes at UVA, great food, good music...well, yeah. I'm a big fan.

I know Thing2 loves in Richmond, so I'll see if I can bring this thread to her attention. :)

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
princesss|1398948732|3664230 said:

I just want to second Deb's suggestion of C'ville - it's a fantastic place, and only about an hour from Richmond. Laurie is right, areas just outside of Cville proper are much more affordable than downtown and have good schools (Crozet in particular). M (I don't think you two ever met, but you were in NC while he and I were still together, so I'm sure you heard me talk about him) is from outside of Cville and lives downtown now. When I was still in the US I would try to go up there at least once a year, I just love it. It's one of the few places in the US I'd consider living - great weather, gorgeous locations, you can take classes at UVA, great food, good music...well, yeah. I'm a big fan.

I know Thing2 loves in Richmond, so I'll see if I can bring this thread to her attention. :)

This is really funny.... I have never been to Crozet, but my husband and daughter have. The former husband of my friend in Keswick now lives with his current wife and step-children in Crozet! My friend (D) and her husband who is a professor at UVA have a good bit of acreage in Keswick, but her ex-husband has even more in Crozet! He and his wife keep a stable of horses. It all seems like lovely country!

Deb/AGBF

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
SO much to think about!

I really need to do more research on the teaching prospects because that's what prompted me to think about this. Positions here where we live are being cut left and right, and I'd like more stability. I want to settle down somewhere (work and home) and stay put for a long time. Ideally, I'd like this place to be close to family and friends, but if there are more prospects elsewhere, it's something to consider.

There's always the thought in the back of our minds of having a new adventure and trying to live somewhere new and different than what we're used to. It's fun but very nerve racking for me to think about.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
It's a wonderful experience, Zoe. Even more so for kids. I've lived in every section of the country except the Southwest and in Europe -- didn't know much of anybody anywhere when I moved there. It's amazing how different they are -- in a number of ways, as different as moving to a new country (except you can read the road signs :D ). The nicest part is having friends all over. You find things to do that aren't available other places & experience helps you understand more & get wiser. Always good. If you find it looks promising, GO for it!

--- Laurie

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
My sister lives near Short Pump right outside of the city proper (?) Downtown might have "city crime" but I think the suburbs are safe. Her boys are in public school & they're happy with it so far. Plan to stay in Richmond for the duration.

Good luck w/your hunt! (If there were MORE tech jobs there we'd be considering it in the future as well.)

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Virginia IS for lovers, after all! :lol: Sorry, that typo (?) cracked me up!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We lived outside of Richmond in Chesterfield County for about 5 years. There are some superior school districts surrounding Richmond, so check into that and it will help you to determine the most desirable locations for housing. I think when we were there, about 80% of high school graduates in our county went on to college. You don't find those stats just anywhere! We loved VA and would have been happy to stay there, but our move 1 state south was closer to home and the beaches we prefer, etc.

Sarah :lol: {{{hugs}}}

princesss

Ideal_Rock
monarch64|1399049073|3665132 said:

Virginia IS for lovers, after all! :lol: Sorry, that typo (?) cracked me up!

Bahahahahaha, that's awesome.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
You've all given me a lot to think about, in terms of looking at the Charlottesville area in addition to the Richmond area.

Deco, that's what I was thinking too, re: city crime vs. the suburbs. I can't remember, is Midlothian part of Richmond or is it a separate town? I have relatives who used to live there and I vaguely remember them mentioning Richmond, so I know I can reach out to them for info. as well. They left years ago though, and the area could have changed since they lived there.

Monnie and Princesss, :lol:

Princesss, hi! :wavey: I've been wondering how you've been! No, I never met M. but I remember us talking about his family, etc. Charlottesville sounds great, and now I want to take a trip there and to Richmond, just to check them out. Since we lived in the same general area in Charlotte, is that type of planned community similar to what you'd find in Richmond or Charlottesville? I really loved where we were in NC, although yes, very cookie-cutterish. It's so different up here in NE.

DS, thank you for chiming in, and thank you for giving me some info. on schools down there.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Zoe|1399064979|3665252 said:
You've all given me a lot to think about, in terms of looking at the Charlottesville area in addition to the Richmond area.

Deco, that's what I was thinking too, re: city crime vs. the suburbs. I can't remember, is Midlothian part of Richmond or is it a separate town? I have relatives who used to live there and I vaguely remember them mentioning Richmond, so I know I can reach out to them for info. as well. They left years ago though, and the area could have changed since they lived there.

Monnie and Princesss, :lol:

Princesss, hi! :wavey: I've been wondering how you've been! No, I never met M. but I remember us talking about his family, etc. Charlottesville sounds great, and now I want to take a trip there and to Richmond, just to check them out. Since we lived in the same general area in Charlotte, is that type of planned community similar to what you'd find in Richmond or Charlottesville? I really loved where we were in NC, although yes, very cookie-cutterish. It's so different up here in NE.

DS, thank you for chiming in, and thank you for giving me some info. on schools down there.

Hey! I've been doing well, just crazy busy! I'm just at the start of dissertation period and job hunting and submitting to magazines/competitions and doing readings and just generally trying to do a million things at once, so I haven't been around much.

Cville is very, very different from where we were - not nearly as many planned communities, just neighbourhoods. It might be a little different outside of Richmond, I'm not sure. I definitely found where we were in NC jarring after being in VA for 4 years - it just seemed too...Stepford, almost? Or like the beginning of Edward Scissorhands where everybody lives in the same pastel house right next door to everybody else. Disturbing. I've always preferred VA to NC, though, so I'm definitely a biased source!

Definitely go down and take a look, though! That whole area has a lot to recommend it.

lovebug1031

Shiny_Rock
hey there! born and raised in richmond, and lived there until this past Jan (now a Texan). If your'e outgoing people there can be a lot to do! Richmond (city) is odd, most of it is pretty safe, even at night - but one block over and you're all of a sudden in a bad area! Richmond City schools aren't so great, unless you can afford private school - there are some excellent ones. I wouldn't hesitate to live downtown, in the right area (Museum district is great)

Short pump is a really great area to live, that traffic isn't so great, but everything you'd need is right there! Great schools in that area as well. I lived in the west end, until I bought my townhouse on Southside (Chesterfield). Some parts of that area are better than others...Brandermill is a nice area, and houses are cheaper on that side of town.

If your'e a foodie at all, Richmond has a TON to offer in terms of great local restaurants/eats! Carytown is a really neat shopping/dining area as well...it's a great way to spend a nice Saturday, walking around checking out all the local boutique shops and food! There's an old school theatre there as well (The Byrd), I believe at one of the shows each night theres someone playing the Wurlitzer before showtime!

Traffic isn't too terrible even during rush hour, I definitely been to areas it's much worse!

Henrico County schools are great, as is most of Chesterfield County and Hanover...The great thing about Richmond is you're about 1.5hours from water, mountains, and big city! So it's definitely got a lot to offer in terms of centrality!

Not sure where you're living now - so I can't compare cost of living. Richmond can be a bit pricey, but it's mostly due to the fact it's commuter distance from DC, but pay is also a bit better as well.

Good luck in your search!

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Princesss, wow, you're close to dissertation already? That's great! Good luck on your job search!

lovebug, thank you for your reply. We'll check out the areas you mentioned if we plan a trip to VA. We're in New England now, so we're used to a higher cost of living.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results