shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on personalized License Plates

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

littlelysser

Brilliant_Rock
Elegant - I''m all for the license plates that are special. In our state, we have WWF plates and I think those are great.

I am just not a fan of the personalized ones.

Of course, it appears that I am in the minority with my deep deep hatred of vanity plates...

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
I am too cheap to buy them! Also I don''t like that they make your car identifiable.

One treatment, which my grandparents had, was quite elegant. Their state had a default plate that was two letters followed by four numbers. They had custom plates that were their initials, followed by their four digit house number. You couldn''t tell they were vanity plates, unless you knew my grandparents quite well.

I have considered doing the same thing with my plates - I live in CA and know just what I would use, and most people would not know it unless they knew me well. However, I am still just too cheap for it. Sad!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/3/2008 10:51:29 AM
Author: SanDiegoLady

Date: 7/3/2008 1:05:27 AM
Author: Kaleigh

Date: 7/3/2008 12:59:45 AM
Author: Dancing Fire

Date: 7/3/2008 12:29:53 AM
Author: SanDiegoLady
We each have personalized plates. I love mine.. but its also something I always say..
9.gif
''my stars'' ??
rotflmao2.gif
Oh my stars?? That''s awesome
9.gif
Yup! lol

9.gif
I love them... and while they are vanity plates and silly.. they always make me smile. I have seen some really awful ones too that I can''t believe they allowed...
23.gif
that was easy
16.gif
now,if only i can guess the lottery #''s .
2.gif

Elegant

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/2/2008 9:56:40 PM
Author: beau13
I seen a guy in a NICE sportscar, that suddenly became NOT so nice, when I read his plates:

UB6 IB9

ick!!
He was a greasy Gino looking type!!
I''m starting to order my new plates and I see this guideline:

# The number ''69'' is reserved for 1969 year model vehicles. I thought that was kind of funny...
28.gif

littlelysser - Thanks for expressing your true hatred! I can totally appreciate your honesty, and I''ll try not to make it too lame/corny!

Thanks Northern Lights for elaborating!

Anyways, thanks to all of you who joined in and gave your opinions. I am getting the Yosemite plate with personalization.
31.gif

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
haha! This thread is a crack up. There is one man that owns a corvette near me. It''s black. His plates read "SKIDMRK". Skidmark? Ok, maybe I''m twisted, but, I NEVER think of tire marks when I see it. LOL
rotflmao2.gif
Yuck! If you don''t get this one DF...I''m not explaining it!!!

Elegant

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/3/2008 10:57:55 PM
Author: Miranda
haha! This thread is a crack up. There is one man that owns a corvette near me. It''s black. His plates read ''SKIDMRK''. Skidmark? Ok, maybe I''m twisted, but, I NEVER think of tire marks when I see it. LOL
rotflmao2.gif
Uh, yeah...
25.gif
I never think of tire marks when I see or hear the word skid mark either!
38.gif

mimzy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/3/2008 1:19:45 PM
Author: littlelysser
Elegant - I''m all for the license plates that are special. In our state, we have WWF plates and I think those are great.

I am just not a fan of the personalized ones.

Of course, it appears that I am in the minority with my deep deep hatred of vanity plates...

haha you aren''t alone. 99% of the ones i''ve seen are either super cheesy or super lame. but i''m all for the different types of state plates. i have the nature presevation one for MI. my dad got it for me as a surprise when i got my first car because it has ducks (well, loons) on it and they were always my favorite animal
1.gif

i think if you fear not liking the letter/number combination and it''s important to you, you could always get an anniversary like someone else suggested ( i like that idea!)

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/3/2008 11:25:03 PM
Author: Elegant

haha! This thread is a crack up. There is one man that owns a corvette near me. It''s black. His plates read ''SKIDMRK''. Skidmark? Ok, maybe I''m twisted, but, I NEVER think of tire marks when I see it. LOL
rotflmao2.gif
Uh, yeah...
25.gif
I never think of tire marks when I see or hear the word skid mark either!
38.gif
Heehee! I''m glad I''m not the only sicko!
9.gif

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
My sister has them in England, not sure if money goes to charity.

Some of them can be cute or funny, but I often think they are a bit silly. No matter, not my car, but I sometimes want to see who is behind the wheel.

I have seen OCD MOM, MY3BOYZ, BUZZD (bee keepr maybe?!), and a lot of my friends have their initials and hubbys like KRP MLP. That I do not mind too much. I must say my father in law and a couple of ex''s had them. I like them in that the money goes somewhere worthwhile (hopefully) AND it is easy to know the car !!! I hate my plate now, I cannot recall it for the life of me.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
rotflmao2.gif
nope,i don''t get this one either
33.gif
34.gif

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
When I ordered my new car I was so excited about it -- and so totally smitten with the car I was about to get -- that I immediately went home and started exploring the personalized license plate options. In fact, the plates arrived before the car did! My plates reflect the make of the car so they aren''t particularly clever, but the car and plates both still bring a smile to my face when I see them. I had never really considered getting personalized plated before that.

BTW in California the extra revenues from personalized "regular" license plates help fund air pollution research.

Elegant

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/4/2008 1:03:02 AM

haha! This thread is a crack up. There is one man that owns a corvette near me. It's black. His plates read 'SKIDMRK'. Skidmark? Ok, maybe I'm twisted, but, I NEVER think of tire marks when I see it. LOL
rotflmao2.gif
Yuck! If you don't get this one DF...I'm not explaining it!!!
nope,i don't get this one either
33.gif
34.gif
BS-Meter.gif

Just sayin'!
9.gif

Elegant

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/4/2008 1:07:48 AM
Author: MINIMS
When I ordered my new car I was so excited about it -- and so totally smitten with the car I was about to get -- that I immediately went home and started exploring the personalized license plate options. In fact, the plates arrived before the car did! My plates reflect the make of the car so they aren't particularly clever, but the car and plates both still bring a smile to my face when I see them. I had never really considered getting personalized plated before that.

BTW in California the extra revenues from personalized 'regular' license plates help fund air pollution research.
You know, I finally bought a car I absolutely LOVE and I too want to put the make of the car in the plate not making it lame or anything! I never considered vanity plates either until now!And thank you for the info about the air pollution research. I am happy I am doing a little something!
914758g52l2pcuo3.gif

choro72

Brilliant_Rock

rotflmao2.gif
33.gif
34.gif
Neither do I...
Idunno1.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/4/2008 2:34:25 AM
Author: Elegant

rotflmao2.gif
33.gif
34.gif
BS-Meter.gif

Just sayin''!
9.gif
must be a generation gap. i''m too old still couldn''t figure this one out.
Idunno1.gif

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/3/2008 2:27:03 PM
Author: Beacon
Also I don''t like that they make your car identifiable.
Ditto--I got them without thinking much... they are very "cute", a nickname of mine, but I really didn''t think about the fact that they were easily identifiable/memorizable. Whoops!

princesss

Ideal_Rock
I''ve rarely seen plates I thought were worth the money. If you want one of the specialty plates, I think those are kind of cool, but the personalization kind of drives me nuts. There have been a few I''ve wondered how they got through the censors (RXSHUN) but there was one that I loved. It was on a red sportscar, and it was "RLADYED". It took me a little bit, but once I got it, I loved it!

Ninama

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve seen some pretty funny ones... too many to remember all of them. These are three that come to mind:

"GREED" (on a mindinght blue vintage Bentley, in the early 70s)

"DIKNOZ" (on a Mercedes 450 coupe in Beverly Hills, 1970s)

"XS4EYES" (can''t remember when or where)

"MEXIRCN" (yesterday, in the San fernando Valley)

I wish I''d thought of this...

stfu.jpg

Ninama

Brilliant_Rock
2.gif

manopoz-mustang-vanity-plate-01.jpg

Ninama

Brilliant_Rock
3.gif

HummerPlate.jpg

sna77

Brilliant_Rock
In Mass we have all sorts of "special" plates...
http://www.mass.gov/rmv/express/plates.htm

A RedSox one, Whales, Fight Cancer, Save the doggies, yada yada yada... They cost more $$ and the extra $ goes to the charity associated with the plate... I have the right whale plate, so I guess I donate about $40 a year to whale research or something... You cannot personalize what they say AFAIK

Actually, I just got the plate because I thought the blue plate looked good with my silver car. ;-)

sna-blue-plate-back.jpg

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Did you know that there are actual studies (who pays people for these ridiculous barometers of human behavior????) that show that:

1) People with vanity plates are more likely to speed, break the ''rules of the road'', have more road rage, cut people off, talk on their cell phones, eat while driving, etc.?

2) Take parking spaces for handicapped, or park in no parking zones?

3) Be more aggressive or overly confident in personal behavior outside the car as well?

I''m not making this up; a morning radio show was discussing this on my drive in to work one day. As they talked, at least two vanity plates sped by me! (I generally run 5 miles over the limit myself.)
11.gif

Sounds like this study was ''done'' by someone who hated vanity plates to me! Anybody recognize themselves?
9.gif

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/3/2008 12:50:06 AM

Date: 7/2/2008 9:56:40 PM
Author: beau13
I seen a guy in a NICE sportscar, that suddenly became NOT so nice, when I read his plates:

UB6 IB9

ick!!
He was a greasy Gino looking type!!
i don''t get it
33.gif

i saw one say ''9 INCH''
23.gif
31.gif

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/3/2008 8:10:43 AM
Author: Northern Lights

When I got my first car, my dad refused to let me get vanity plates because he said that criminals are more likely to target someone with vanity plates. And, now that I am an adult and capable of making my own decisions…I still would never get vanity plates for fear of becoming a target.

Unfortunately, your dad was right. I would prefer to go unnoticed myself. Of course, I drive around on a dealer plate in a demo, so I''m not exactly annonymous!

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
rotflmao2.gif

Me too!!!!! Anyone who''s ever lived with a man or little boy wouldn''t think ''tires''!!!!

It''s especially funny that a guy would drive that thinking he was Mr. Cool!!!

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/4/2008 12:18:31 PM
Author: HollyS

rotflmao2.gif

Me too!!!!! Anyone who''s ever lived with a man or little boy wouldn''t think ''tires''!!!!

It''s especially funny that a guy would drive that thinking he was Mr. Cool!!!
That''s what cracks me up so much! You know he thinks he totally cool cruising in his muscle car! It is so unfitting...Unless he''s a proctologist!
38.gif
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results