shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on personalized License Plates

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Elegant

Brilliant_Rock
Last year I purchased an SUV that I had been wanting since forever (I love cars
30.gif
). Well, the registration is due in the next couple of days and I was debating on whether I should get custom plates or not. I live in CA and we have the option to get specialty plates. The one I want is the "Whale Tail" and it funds the protection of the coast and ocean (and is blue with a whale tail on it). I also want to have it with personalized lettering - I already know what I want. And I forgot to add that I do not like the numbers and letters on mine! At all!

My registration - $289
With specialty plates but standard numbering - add $50 (with yearly $40 renewal fee)
With specialty plates and personalized - add $90 (with yearly $70 renewal fee)

What are your thoughts
33.gif
Anybody here have custom plates? Pros/cons?

Any input/opinions/feedback would be greatly appreciated!
9.gif

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
I just got my new PLAIN license plates today. Not gonna lie, I''m a little bummed - they''re boring
7.gif
. When I was 17, I got my first vanity plates for my car and I thought that was AWESOME - a little less awesome when I was 22 and thought that my "cute" plates made me look like a 17 year old
7.gif

But when I got my new car, I again got "vanity" plates that were for my alma mater. LOVE THEM, and I was SO upset when we moved to a new state and I realized that I wouldn''t be able to have university plates anymore
7.gif

Anyway, here''s my take - I think really personalized plates CAN be kinda lame (like "ZOOM 95" on a corvette - seems a little childish), but some can be witty/cute (people seem to always have adorable ones on VW Bugs).

If I hadn''t been a total cheapskate this time around, I would have gotten the vanity plates that go toward a charitable organization. I think prevent violence, education, environmental university etc plates are TOTALLY worth the extra expense - so my .02 is to DEFINITELY go for those whale ones, maybe think twice about the extra personalization, but if you have zero doubts whether you''ll love the personalization in 5 years, then shoot, go for that too! :)

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
We have a personalized license plate for our 5th wheel.
9.gif

choro72

Brilliant_Rock
It''s too expensive for me, because I''m only a student. Even if I could afford things like that, I personally like to donate money to the organization of my choice. I don''t trust that the DMV donates ALL the money to the cause.

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Choro definitely has a point - it''s true that not all your money will go to the charity, but as I''ve learned in service work, putting an organization''s name out there is really important, too.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
I got my vanity plates a few years ago. I''m in a state where it doesn''t cost extra in renewal years. For years I was too cheap to pay for such a silly extra, but I''ve reached the age (and we have enough money for a few extras now) where I just decided to get them.

I can''t really think of any pros or cons. You will get people mentioning your plates to you once in a while, but that has been about it. I think most people around here find them rather entertaining...trying to figure out what they mean and all.

BriBee

Brilliant_Rock
I also live in CA and my mom and I both have personalized plates. I just have the plain CA plate with a nickname on it. My mom has the Tahoe plates that also has a nickname. Her Tahoe plates are so pretty, they are my favorite of all the CA plates, and the $ goes towards a preservation fund. Mine were only $40 to get and an extra $25 on my registration and I love them! My mom's were more expensive and I think at least an extra $50 or maybe even $75 each year. If you can afford it I say go for it! I love the plates and it's fun for my friends because they don't have to say "Hey was that you I saw on the road?" They just look at the plates and know

ETA: It's also nice knowing that the extra $ goes towards a good cause for the Whale, Tahoe, and Children's plates (are there others? I can't remember)

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
They''re call vanity plates for a reason
2.gif

That said, I have the Cali Whale Tail plate with a nickname. An extra $70 wasn''t going to break me and it makes it easier to remember my plate when I register at hotels.

littlelysser

Brilliant_Rock
They are a HUGE pet peeve of mine. I HATE vanity plates.
I have never seen a vanity plate that made me think better of the person driving the car.

I usually find them really annoying...Just my two cents. I couldn't care less if the person driving the car in front of me is a "babydoc" or if she is "Donsboo" or "livinlrg." Ugh.

Although I have always wanted to get one that says "DUMBPL8" cause I have an irrational hatred of them.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/2/2008 7:01:45 PM
Author: littlelysser
They are a HUGE pet peeve of mine. I HATE vanity plates.

I have never seen a vanity plate that made me think better of the person driving the car.

I usually find them really annoying...Just my two cents. I couldn''t care less if the person driving the car in front of me is a ''babydoc'' or if she is ''Donsboo'' or ''livinlrg.'' Ugh.

Although I have always wanted to get one that says ''DUMBPL8'' cause I have an irrational hatred of them.

Hahahahahaha!

Anyway, I have semi-vanity plates. They read "URUBU" with a number after them, so having the number at the end means I don''t have to pay too much extra for them. I got the plates when I bought my first car at age 17, and I''ve had them ever since. I can''t imagine ever changing them--even though I''ve had several different cars, people I knew in high school still recognize me because of the plates! And I like the sentiment, anyway.

DMBsGirl

Brilliant_Rock
i have specialty and personalized plates. i too thought the regular plates were boooooring. i live in NY and got the i *heart* NY plates. initially, i got them non-personalized and the plate they sent me was 19*LUV....i didnt know those plates had LUV as the last three default letters, needless to say this sounded like a love hotline to me so i got them personalized to get rid of the 1-900 number sounding plates! my personalized plates don't necessarily look personalized though, i chose three letters adn three numbers. my initial and my fiance's initial with an "n" in between and the date of our anniversary.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
We''ve always had vanity plates until last year. I finally got tired of mine and put it to rest. But, ever since, I''ve been unhappy with my plates...mostly because I can''t remember the number for the life of me!!

The one I retired is my last name (condensed) and followed by a number. When I first got married and DH''s entire family had them, I wanted to be part of it. But, it got annoying.

My first plate was HOWDY X 3. That was on my first car. (I loved the movie Toy Story, btw.)

Other plates in my family:
fyste1 (feisty one)
chev L (chevelle)
lab rt (lab rat)
lumberg (from the Urban Dictionary "To lumberg is to turn around after you pass something, with a very slow and cool turn, and check something out with egotistical passion and pride.")

In IL, there isn''t a difference in fees, so we have tons of them!

beau13

Ideal_Rock
I seen a guy in a NICE sportscar, that suddenly became NOT so nice, when I read his plates:

UB6 IB9

ick!!
He was a greasy Gino looking type!!

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Don''t love them personally...but I am talking about the truly personalized ones. Charity ones I am all for.

Elegant

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks so much for the replies/opinions/experiences!

Elmorton - I think I would like my alma mater but the only one they have available is UCLA - and that's not my school, so... And I think I will go for the personalization just because I hate my letter/number combo now. It won't make me feel better to have a pretty license with a great charitable organization and yucky letters/numbers. I think I will still have my SUV in 5 or more years because I love it so much (well, we'll see when gas goes up to $25 a gallon...will I still love it then? Yes, but not so much!).

choro72 - From what I have read, I think all of the renewal fees go towards that organization. The registration fees and all of that go to the DMV. And I agree with Elmorton that even if a little goes towards it, and info about the org is out there, I will be happy. And the renewal fees aren't too bad if the money is going to a good cause. My registration is already so much, I feel like a bit more won't hurt too much? We'll see...
37.gif

BriBee - I like the Tahoe plate too, but now I think I am going more towards the Yosemite plate instead. The DMV even has the websites for the organization the money will be going to and what they do as an organization. It's either Whale Tail - funding coastal cleanup and wetland restoration or support Yosemite - habitat restoration and wildlife protection. I like the way the Yosemite plate looks because I love the mountains - grew up going camping a lot. The other plates are Veterans, athletes, art lover, protect kids, and patriot.

purrfectpear - Exactly, I can't remember my plates - I think it is selective memory too because I hate the number/letter combo. I do like the Whale Tail plate - did you choose it because you like the way it looks or because of the organization it supports?

littlelysser - I hear you! I totally hear you!
2.gif
What do you think of supporting the organization though and not getting the lettering personalized? If I hate the letter/number combo, what do you think I should do? If I choose to get a random number/letter combo set with my new plates, what if I still hate the combo? That would really suck!
14.gif

Haven - That's a cute license plate! I was thinking of getting some combo of letters and numbers that would confuse cops if I was being followed by a cop - they'd take one look at it, get confused with the combo, and just say "Screw it! I'll let her go!"

sna77 - That's funny stuff. I watched the video - wonder if he'll keep that plate til he turns about 70 or so and has a family and everything.
28.gif

DMBsGirl - That is a very cute idea with the intials and the anniversary date! I too think the regular ones are boring!
3.gif

somethingshiny - It's funny because I don't think I know ANYONE with a personalized plate. I wish there wasn't an additional fee. If I didn't want to donate to the org and just get the letters personalized - I don't know how much that would cost - but ours is a plain white background with dark blue lettering - easy for the cops to see - I guess that's the purpose over here!

beau13 - Um, yeah, that is a bit nasty!
23.gif

Overall I haven't decided which org plate to get, either Yosemite or Whale Tail, and I haven't decided on the letters/numbers either. Like most of you here, I don't want to get some lame/corny plate, but I want it to be cute/unique and tailored to suit me.

scarleta

Brilliant_Rock
"I personally like to donate money"
Same for me.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Tee Hee, Michelle. I wonder what that is???

Linda

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/2/2008 9:56:40 PM
Author: beau13
I seen a guy in a NICE sportscar, that suddenly became NOT so nice, when I read his plates:

UB6 IB9

ick!!
i don''t get it
33.gif

i saw one say "9 INCH"

Elegant

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/3/2008 12:50:06 AM
Author: Dancing Fire

UB6 IB9

ick!!
i don''t get it
33.gif

i saw one say ''9 INCH''

Like "69" - one person is the 6 and he''ll be the 9
23.gif

The "9 inch" plate is along the same lines! Ewww...
40.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/3/2008 12:29:53 AM
Author: SanDiegoLady
We each have personalized plates. I love mine.. but its also something I always say..
9.gif
"my stars" ??
rotflmao2.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/3/2008 12:59:45 AM

Date: 7/3/2008 12:29:53 AM
Author: SanDiegoLady
We each have personalized plates. I love mine.. but its also something I always say..
9.gif
''my stars'' ??
rotflmao2.gif
Oh my stars?? That''s awesome
9.gif

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/3/2008 12:55:01 AM
Author: Elegant

UB6 IB9

ick!!
i don''t get it
33.gif

i saw one say ''9 INCH''

Like ''69'' - one person is the 6 and he''ll be the 9
23.gif

The ''9 inch'' plate is along the same lines! Ewww...
40.gif

ha ha ha ha ha. Dancing Fire is pulling your leg. He got it alright. He is a rascal.
11.gif

Elegant

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/3/2008 1:09:43 AM
Author: Linda W
Date: 7/3/2008 12:55:01 AM

Author: Elegant

UB6 IB9

ick!!
i don''t get it
33.gif

i saw one say ''9 INCH''

23.gif

40.gif

ha ha ha ha ha. Dancing Fire is pulling your leg. He got it alright. He is a rascal.
11.gif
OH LORDY!!! Duh! Thanks for the hazing!
27.gif

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
This is a funny thread. Thanks for the laugh.

I think personalized plates can be a road hazard. Sometimes I have to stay behind someone until I can solve the puzzle and figure out what they are. I love puzzles.

However, I have an aversion to them ever since I was a fraud investigator and was living with a PI. I had it drilled into my brain that we could never have anything that was so easily identifiable. Now, I have a care that someone once described as having the personality of "Al Gore" and even in my small parking lot at work, there are three of the same boring cars. I can only tell when a car''s not mine at the time I walk up to the wrong one and see how clean the other car is inside.
23.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

23.gif

40.gif

11.gif
i learn something new everyday from the ladies here on PS.
28.gif

beau13

Ideal_Rock
Thank God you understand DancingFire, I was hoping I wouldn''t have to explain that one!!
36.gif

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t have personalized plates and I don''t plan on getting them. I like reading them and trying to figure them out, but i don''t feel the need to get them. I don''t see spending the extra money.

Northern Lights

Rough_Rock

When I got my first car, my dad refused to let me get vanity plates because he said that criminals are more likely to target someone with vanity plates. And, now that I am an adult and capable of making my own decisions…I still would never get vanity plates for fear of becoming a target.

Elegant

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/3/2008 2:13:58 AM

23.gif

40.gif

11.gif
i learn something new everyday from the ladies here on PS.
28.gif

I know I sure am learning a lot!
9.gif
Thanks Dancing Fire! You''re the best!
11.gif
I was just happy I didn''t have to go into what each number means...that''s where I was going to draw the line and call it a day!
25.gif

Linda W - Thanks for the heads up! Much appreciated!
2.gif

beau13 - Did I explain it alright without being too descriptive?
3.gif

Northern Lights - Can you (or someone on here) explain how the vanity plates makes a person more of a target? How/in what way? Targeted for what purpose? Thanks in advance!

I think I am going with the Yosemite plates and still have about 3 days to decide what I will put on the plate.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results