shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on natural blue topaz?

erinl

Brilliant_Rock
I have been seriously contemplating purchasing a natural blue topaz. Does anyone have any opinions on it? I think the one I would have cut would be pretty, with a spectacular cut, and of a pretty large size. If anyone has one they'd like to show off, I would love to see them!

Thanks!!

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is my natural blue Topaz cut by Doug Menadue of Bespoke Gems and another shot showing it set by Daniel M on Etsy. This stone is about 3cts and looks divine! I love wearing it for special occasions but need to be careful as Topaz isn't the hardest of stones. I would easily recommend you look at Bespoke Gems for natural Topaz - many of them he digs up himself!

bluetopaz.jpg

il_fullxfull_176589166.jpg

erinl

Brilliant_Rock
Hotpozzum--your ring/stone are gorgeous. Bespoke was where I was planning on getting my stone.

Ed-- By natural I meant a stone that hadn't been irradiated or heated.

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
Like Pozzum mentioned I would only trust a few places to provide natural blue topaz and it helps when the seller digs them up him/herself. Anything medium to dark blue I would assume as irridated

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
I've seen it naturally blue. It's sort of pale or grey blue if I remember right. A friend in my class is setting one thats almost silvery and it's untreated. I do like the look of the irradiated color too even it's not natural.

Edward Bristol

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Correct.

Topaz can be very beautiful in pale sky blue or an ice blue just it never looks anywhere near what you find in common jewelry.

I have heard legends of natural vivid blue topaz but never seen one, ever.

Ed

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
erinl|1305573236|2923249 said:
Hotpozzum--your ring/stone are gorgeous. Bespoke was where I was planning on getting my stone.

Ed-- By natural I meant a stone that hadn't been irradiated or heated.

Well, then you will be buying it mostly for the cutting, as like the others have said, it's very pale material. You will want to get a very well cut one then because you won't have much color to look at, so you will need a lot of interest in the form of nice facet shadows and sparkle.

ruffysdad

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Although I've got access to natural blue topaz rough, I've never purchased any. Why? The process that gives it the color is pretty much the same as what happens in the lab so it's pretty much undetectable, the cost is usually way higher than irradiated or heated and the color is, for the most part not as good. Usually when I'm presented with "natural" blue topaz, I put my hand over my wallet and run the other way. If you're looking at topaz, get it for the color and cut, not the labels and tags that sellers put on it IMHO.

Pete

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wondered about the proof of treatment or rather, the lack of, sometimes. I believe it to be non-detectable, or am I incorrect? Are people just presuming it to be untreated by virtue of it being super pale? Please do not mistake this to be insulting or demeaning or carrying some other negative connotation as I am only asking for the sake of clarity. :read:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results