shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on mixing cuts?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That was “really” want. I thought I wanted an icy little sparkle set in white gold, but suddenly I’m thinking of a warm glow set in rose gold. Very different, so I probably need to cool it before making a purchase.

I think you should read through the threads I linked and see as many old cuts as you can to get an idea of your preferences and what you want and adore in an old cut and what you do not like in an old cut.

I just found out that Erica from Love Affair Diamonds is located in the very same smallish Washington town that I am. Fate?? I think so! Hoping to meet her and see some OECs in person. :appl:

Yes! Meet her and see more than one old cut from her because she has some great real life examples and seeing them in person is the best way to go. But do your background research first re online threads/photos and videos so you have an idea of what you love.

Erinsews

Rough_Rock
BA81A3E6-80B4-46B7-B460-587B8E866D4F.jpeg
I’ve been reading those threads (thanks @missy !) and I find I’m still really drawn to that warm 1ct I linked earlier. I’ve seen some videos and it has a really beautiful flower pattern. My e-ring is a three stone and so it has a bit more presence than a solitaire. Do you think that makes a difference in terms of the pendant size I can get away with? I don’t want to overshadow my ring. Attaching a few pics of my ring for reference. Happy to hear honest opinions!
C34E4DEA-E29E-4E96-9DFC-C8753163DDBE.jpeg F26DAF6C-A714-4A68-A6D9-8F526EC80000.jpeg 81665E59-670A-427E-983D-3CB13559A94F.jpeg

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't think a .7 pendant would overshadow or detract from your ring...is there somewhere you can try on a rose gold pendant, even if not the exact size or cut you are thinking of, to see if you like it with your everyday pieces?

Erinsews

Rough_Rock
I don't think a .7 pendant would overshadow or detract from your ring...is there somewhere you can try on a rose gold pendant, even if not the exact size or cut you are thinking of, to see if you like it with your everyday pieces?
Yes, I definitely need to visit a jewelry store to see what I think of rose gold with my skin tone. It was actually the 1ct N colored stone I couldn’t get out of my head. :wall:

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, I definitely need to visit a jewelry store to see what I think of rose gold with my skin tone. It was actually the 1ct N colored stone I couldn’t get out of my head. :wall:

Yeah it's hard to find N colors to try tho! I think it partly depends on if you do like the rose on you b/c N color, old cut, rose gold all goes together nicely and could be a good contrast to your existing pieces. N color old cut in white metal may look like more of a clash imho if that makes sense.

Erinsews

Rough_Rock
Yeah it's hard to find N colors to try tho! I think it partly depends on if you do like the rose on you b/c N color, old cut, rose gold all goes together nicely and could be a good contrast to your existing pieces. N color old cut in white metal may look like more of a clash imho if that makes sense.
Yup. Totally agree. First step: try the rose gold.

Crystal_Dreams

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I wonder whether it would be possible to visit LAD to see some OECs in person? That may help you figure out what’s what really speaks to you!

I got mine from LAD too! having never seen an OEC up close in real life, after poring over threads, pictures and listings on the above jewellers’ sites. I decided that I like a flower pattern with narrower petals (though I do wonder if I would change my mind if I saw a chunkier one irl). I would look at as many OECs as possible before deciding!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do not think a .7 carat pendant will overshadow your beautiful 3 stone ER. But as mentioned previously visiting old cuts in person and evaluating what colors and facet patterns you love is key to finding your dream old cut. It's also just as much about finding what you don't like as finding what you do if that makes sense. When you visit with Erica she will have some delicious old cuts to show you and let her share her knowledge with you you about old cuts. She is an expert. The more you see the more you know what characteristics you like and do not like and that is critical to finding your dream stone.

BA81A3E6-80B4-46B7-B460-587B8E866D4F.jpeg
I’ve been reading those threads (thanks @missy !) and I find I’m still really drawn to that warm 1ct I linked earlier. I’ve seen some videos and it has a really beautiful flower pattern. My e-ring is a three stone and so it has a bit more presence than a solitaire. Do you think that makes a difference in terms of the pendant size I can get away with? I don’t want to overshadow my ring. Attaching a few pics of my ring for reference. Happy to hear honest opinions!
C34E4DEA-E29E-4E96-9DFC-C8753163DDBE.jpeg F26DAF6C-A714-4A68-A6D9-8F526EC80000.jpeg 81665E59-670A-427E-983D-3CB13559A94F.jpeg

Your 3 stone is beautiful @Erinsews.:love:

Erinsews

Rough_Rock
Well, I visited a local jeweler today and discovered I really don’t like rose gold on me! So that pushes the choice toward a higher color OEC since it will be set in white gold. Also, the sweet spot size wise is definitely .6-.8. Baby steps! Will likely meet Erica sometime in early March. :dance:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results