shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts On Filigree Settings

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

DBM

Shiny_Rock
Anyone know of any cons of a filigree setting?

(the single advantage i assume is the aesthetic artistic design it allows for, yes?...)

I''m guessing it''s difficult to keep clean, what with all the gaps and spaces, no?

Can it easily get bent of out shape if hit against something seeing as how the individual wires are weaker than one single hunk of metal?

any other possible down sides to a filigree setting to a lady wearing it as an engagement ring?

all input appreciated. thx in advance!

pixelbender

Rough_Rock
From what I''ve learned, actual antique filigree rings can already suffer from a little bit of wear, and thus another generation wearing them may loose significant detail. Also many filigree rings have very thin shanks.

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
Filigree settings are amazing! Antique settings are especially gorgeous because the so much time has been given to the piece of work. If it's a good setting, the quality and sturdiness of the ring shouldn't be compromised. Even with the spaces, in an Ultra Sonic cleaner all the gaps would be cleaned so I don't think it should be a problem. A couple websites to look at and maybe you could call and ask them about any cons is, http://whitehousebrothers.com/index_flash.php or http://www.vancraeynest.com/collections.html. Whitehouse brothers does modern day filigree although they use old techniques, and Vancraynest offers "pierced rings" which is has a similar look to filigree, but is made differently. I personally would recommend looking into antique settings as well because a good quality antique will stand up to years of wear. You have to be just as careful with filigree rings as any other, but I would think that having them bump into hard surfaces many times COULD compromise the band as you suggested because it could bend the intricate filigree. But overall I don't think that they are any less hardy than some of the engagement rings on here with extremely thin bands.

ETA: I am by no means an expert. This is just stuff that I have also observed from looking at antique filigree rings, so it might not stand true for ALL filigree. Also, many modern day replications of filigree are very poorly done and do not have that same intricacy as original antique works.
*M*

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
My grandma has a beautiful filigree setting. I absolutely love it, but it definitely has taken some beating over the years. She banged it hard and one of the small connecting wires broke. She is also *not* good at keeping her rings clean...but it really doesn''t take that long to get the gunk out once she attempts to clean them.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
One downside is that it can trap gunk and hold it against the skin causing rashes.
A friend of mines wife cant wear a plat piece for this reason.
She also works with some pretty nasty chemicals.
I think anyone considering them has to really consider their lifestyle before going with one.
They aren''t for someone who works with there hands in any kind of harsh environment day in and day out.

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/21/2007 5:45:38 AM
Author: strmrdr
One downside is that it can trap gunk and hold it against the skin causing rashes.
A friend of mines wife cant wear a plat piece for this reason.
She also works with some pretty nasty chemicals.
I think anyone considering them has to really consider their lifestyle before going with one.
They aren't for someone who works with there hands in any kind of harsh environment day in and day out.
Good advice for any setting.
The lifestyle of a hand model may be different than that of a surgeon or construction worker.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results