shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on Durability of Setting and Alternatives- New User

TrAgnew

Rough_Rock
Hello all,

I've been lurking for a bit trying to absorb all of the information I can. While overwhelming, it has been very helpful. Please forgive any breaches of protocol in my first post or for somehow missing something I should have seen.

Unfortunately, my wife lost her engagement and wedding ring not long ago. Insurance is thankfully making us whole and for the first time in well over a decade, we find ourselves looking for rings. We went to a few local jewelers yesterday to try things on and my wife kept coming back to these two (engagement and matching band):

Based on my reading, it doesn't seem like this site views Shane Co favorably and I wouldn't buy the center stone there regardless as they seem overpriced. However, I'm not seeing anything like this setting when I look online for alternative sources.

Additionally, I am also worried about the durability of such a ring. She'd be going from a channel set before to this pave type and she wears her ring for everything (cleaning, cooking, dealing with two children, three children if you include me).

I suppose I'm looking for help with two questions:
  • What are the thoughts on how well something like this would hold up? I'm nervous she'd lose one of the pave diamonds at some point.
  • If it is durable, does anyone have any recommendations for something similar outside of Shane Co? (looked through the search feature but was overwhelmed)

My budget for the setting plus center stone is somewhere around $7500. With that, I was hoping to get at least an eye-clean and nice 1 carat center stone, but I'm not that far yet.

Really appreciate any guidance for this older fellow dipping his toes back into the world of settings/diamonds and wanting to get his wife something special that will last.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Thoughts on Durability of Setting and Alternatives- New

Does she have her heart set on this setting? After being married for 36 years and raising four kids, if I had lost my ring at that point I would buy the biggest best cut diamond my money could buy, put it in a simple setting, and save for when the kids were gone to get my dream setting.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Hi, my "5 cents worth". I've had two pave set ring like the ones you linked to your post and yes, I had little diamonds get lost. One is still intact, the other isn't intact. The problem is with settings is that as you bump them and as they "wear" from use, the tiny prongs on those tiny diamonds are likely to let loose! The one I lost tiny diamonds from was a generic store type setting. The other ring was "premium hand made" one and though the prongs have worn down, they haven't loosened on any of the diamonds as all of them, tiny as they are, are set each with 4 prongs. And I can see that wearing those two rings together is going to cause each setting to be rubbing together all the time. This isn't good as its going to increase the wear on the prongs and that's how the diamonds can fall out.

TrAgnew

Rough_Rock

Thank you both for your replies! AprilBaby I completely agree and that is the direction I've been trying to point her. I actually took a different tact tonight and explained I could get her a bigger diamond if we didn't spend as much on the band. Seeing a 1.5 carat in a simple setting helped and she did like it, but she still loves the pave design. :doh:

Bron357, thank you so much for this useful information from your experience. It helps to hear from someone who has actually lived with something like this. I'm absolutely going to show her your post as I think it will help put it into perspective. Invaluable!

Of course, I appreciate any other thoughts too. Hopefully we can come to agreement soon so I can come back for help on a center stone! Thanks again to you both!

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock

Would it satisfy her need for bling to get a pave wedding band instead? Pairing a diamond band with a solitaire is a very classic look.

I also thought of this Brian Gavin Lace setting. For some reason, it reminds me of the feeling of the Shane ring but it's much less bulky. http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/engagement-rings/pave-and-side-stones/lace-18k-white-gold-5934w18-1

Also, I don't want to rain on your parade, but $7,500 for a one carat plus setting might be tight. I hope others can chime in with stones that will fit that and leave you with some kind of setting budget.

TrAgnew

Rough_Rock

Thank you rubybeth! Those are good ideas and I'll show her the ring you linked. I should have mentioned in my last post that I realize I'd have to go over my originally specified budget for a center stone of that size, but I might be willing to do it just to get her in something more durable that would be less of a headache. She tends to prefer princess cut as well, so not quite as bad as the equivalent round thankfully!

Thanks for your thoughts and help! :D

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

That shanh setting looks vintage to me (IMO, a princess will look out of place in it). You might try looking at Gabriel and Co
for something with less pave but still has the look.

What about something like these 2? May not be quite her style but really pretty princess settings. These are both being shown with
1 carat stones. The first one is my favorite.
https://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/pave/14k-white-gold-reverse-taper-milgrain-diamond-engagement-ring-item-49486
https://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/pave/14k-white-gold-inspired-diamond-engagement-ring-item-41042

princess_with_milgrain_setting.jpg

princess_with_no_milgrain.png

TrAgnew

Rough_Rock

Thank you tyty333! The Gabriel and Co. suggestion was great. Lots of options on their site and we are about to look through them. It is so hard not being able to try things on!

As for the James Allen suggestions, she doesn't like the larger side diamonds in the channel setting. I personally really like the channel set look, but apparently you and I are are on our own in that regard. :lol:

Thank you for the help!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results