shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on DiamondManufacturers.co.uk DMGG certificate?

Confidemus

Rough_Rock
I read an article in the Daily Express about a website called diamondmanufacturers.co.uk.

Seemingly they have an immaculate reputation for customer service and their prices cannot be beaten. I've had a look and their diamonds and extremely cheap. You could get an E colour, VS clarity, Ideal cut 1 carat diamond for about £3100. The only potential problem I can see, is that their diamonds are self certificated as a "DMGG" Certificate and this only provides Cut, Carat, Claritry and Colour. It DOES NOT provide culet, girdle, flurescence, depth, table information etc.

Since I first started my research, more or less the first thing I've been told by everyone, is "whatever you do, make sure you get a GIA certificate with it, this is essential". I've heard stories of companies who self certificate, being inaccurate and the colour and clarity being a couple of notches below what it should be. eg it's claimed as a G but turns out to be a J.

They have 1 carat, VS2/G Colour platinum rings for £3400. This seems dirt cheap. For a GIA with the same G/VS2 you're looking at about £5000-£5200. Hell of a difference.

My question basically is, if you're spending upwards of £3000, would you personally risk going with a DMGG or would you get a smaller carat with GIA?

Has anyone dealt with this lot and then had the diamond tested by someone else?

crbl999

Brilliant_Rock
I would stick with AGS or GIA. That stone is most likely loosely graded and the fact it does not provide proportions is enough to steer me clear away.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Just ask yourself this. If you are the vendor, and if the stone is really the cut, color and clarity grade DMGG says it is supposed to be and there is nothing stopping you from simply sending out the stone to GIA, for a grading fee of about 200 USD and a waiting period of about 1 month, and get a selling price increase of 2k, why in the world are you not doing that?

Confidemus

Rough_Rock
Stone-cold11|1316018723|3017413 said:
Just ask yourself this. If you are the vendor, and if the stone is really the cut, color and clarity grade DMGG says it is supposed to be and there is nothing stopping you from simply sending out the stone to GIA, for a grading fee of about 200 USD and a waiting period of about 1 month, and get a selling price increase of 2k, why in the world are you not doing that?

I'm in the UK, don't have the extra money, am planning to propose soon, and am not sending a diamond internationally to see if it's legit, that's why.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am not saying why you are not doing that, I am saying why is a vendor not doing that? He is there to make money, he is not a Santa Claus.

crbl999

Brilliant_Rock
Stone-cold11|1316019991|3017439 said:
I am not saying why you are not doing that, I am saying why is a vendor not doing that? He is there to make money, he is not a Santa Claus.

LOL! People go into business to make money. If the vendor spent $200 and sent the stone to GIA it would be worth $2,000 more (hypothetical amount). Therefore the vendor would make $1,800 more than his DMGG certed stone and has not done any extra work. Why would the vendor choose not to send it to GIA? Excellent question...because the stone is NOT what it is being represented as.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results