shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on CADs for studs?

alene

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm getting my stones set into studs and just got these CADs from David. Sorry, the photos are huge! I asked for the settings like in the photo, but with larger and open backs. What do you guys think? I think the backs should still be bigger. Can't quite tell if they're open in the CADs, but I don't think so.

IMG_7456.JPG DK 99844-QUAD-1.jpg

0-0-0

Brilliant_Rock
I don’t think the baskets would be the same shape if the backs are bigger. I also don’t think there’s enough room for open backs if you want to keep the same basket shape.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you wanting the donuts bigger so that the prongs come up straighter rather than curve up thus creating more
"space" in the pavilion area?

Not quite sure what you mean by "larger open backs". Are you saying you want the pavilion area to be more
open between the diamond and prongs?

alene

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you all! Sorry, by "backs", I do mean the donuts. I'm fine with the prongs being less curved if necessary, I just want to make sure the donuts are large and flat and sit straight on my ears. I want them to be open for easier cleaning.

@tyty333 - these are the kind of donuts I was hoping for and sent to David. But I'm now wondering if they need to be even wider to sit flat. IMG_7454.JPG

0-0-0

Brilliant_Rock
IMO the open backs/donuts don’t really help with cleaning. For similar sized open backs/donuts for 6 mm stones the prongs would basically need to be straight.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You can ask David for CADS with bigger donuts to see how they look. It will look more like a 3 prong basket but maybe that's what
you're looking for versus a martini setting?

What size are those studs in the last photo you posted? They look pretty large which may be why they look more "open"? Just
taking a guess.

lucythedog

Rough_Rock
I'm getting my stones set into studs and just got these CADs from David. Sorry, the photos are huge! I asked for the settings like in the photo, but with larger and open backs. What do you guys think? I think the backs should still be bigger. Can't quite tell if they're open in the CADs, but I don't think so.

IMG_7456.JPG DK 99844-QUAD-1.jpg

I love these. Is it possible to share approximately what the price is for these settings?

alene

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Ok, new CADs with wider, open donuts are in. I think they're perfect! Anything I'm missing before I okay these? DK 99844-QUAD-2.jpg

luckygreen317

Brilliant_Rock
Ok, new CADs with wider, open donuts are in. I think they're perfect! Anything I'm missing before I okay these? DK 99844-QUAD-2.jpg

The biggest concern for me with my diamond studs is that the stone sat flush as possible so the earrings don’t pitch forward.
I think the larger donuts may provide more surface area so this should help them sit straight on your ear.
Are you going with jumbo backs? Someone here on PS recommended silicone disks from Amazon to wear on the backside of the ear. I highly recommend!

alene

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
You can ask David for CADS with bigger donuts to see how they look. It will look more like a 3 prong basket but maybe that's what
you're looking for versus a martini setting?

What size are those studs in the last photo you posted? They look pretty large which may be why they look more "open"? Just
taking a guess.

@tyty333 - you're right, the last ones I posted are about 3 ct each, so not the best comparison. I think the new CADs are open yet still curved. Would love to hear your thoughts!

alene

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The biggest concern for me with my diamond studs is that the stone sat flush as possible so the earrings don’t pitch forward.
I think the larger donuts may provide more surface area so this should help them sit straight on your ear.
Are you going with jumbo backs? Someone here on PS recommended silicone disks from Amazon to wear on the backside of the ear. I highly recommend!

Thank you! Yes, that's my biggest concern too. My current settings are straight baskets and they sit flat, so I'm hoping these donuts will be large enough (and hopefully prettier than my standard Stuller settings). I am going with jumbo backs, but will keep in mind the silicone disks too if I need them.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the new CADs look good. I think bigger backs like @luckygreen317 suggested would also be good.

alene

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I love these. Is it possible to share approximately what the price is for these settings?

Sorry, I missed this. They're a little under $1K, including the jumbo backs.

lucythedog

Rough_Rock
Thank you! Please post a pic when you receive them. Love love.

alene

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Just a quick update, the studs are here! This was the fastest turnaround, and I’m super happy with how they turned out!
IMG_7669.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_7665.jpeg
    IMG_7665.jpeg
    313.6 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_7631.jpeg
    IMG_7631.jpeg
    234.6 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_7652.jpeg
    IMG_7652.jpeg
    133.7 KB · Views: 21

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
They look wonderful! Enjoy!!!

Are they sitting the way you like? I know the donut was an issue. And you went with large pushbacks, correct? Those don't look like screwback or La Pousette.

And do you mind telling the price? I've always wondered what it would be to do custom studs with DK.

alene

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
They look wonderful! Enjoy!!!

Are they sitting the way you like? I know the donut was an issue. And you went with large pushbacks, correct? Those don't look like screwback or La Pousette.

And do you mind telling the price? I've always wondered what it would be to do custom studs with DK.

Thanks so much! They sit really low and are very comfortable. I did go with large pushbacks. They feel really secure, a little hard to get off but I'm sure I'll get used to them. The price was a little under $1K, including the large pushbacks.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results