shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on Blue Sapphire

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

beach

Brilliant_Rock
http://gemrite.com/cubecart/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=244

Purchased it last night and thought it was worth a closer look and a good buy with the cut I am looking for. What should my husband and I look for when it arrives? Honest opinions appreciated. If kept it will go in a bezel setting. Maybe James Meyer or maybe a modern plain bezel? Thanks!!

bluesapcush 2ct Barion Square Cushion.jpg

ma re

Ideal_Rock
What you should look for depends on your preferences, to a point. Ideally, sapphires should have a medium dark blue color of pure hue. That basically means it should be as blue as possible, with a deep color of a great saturation and no grey color mixed in. But, as I said, what is considered ideal might not be what you're looking for and would like to have. If you'd like that blue to be a bit greyish and it turns out to be, that's OK, cause that's what you like. But in such a case the stone should be priced accordingly (those "less than ideal" colors cost less, off course). You should be looking for scintillation i.e. a lively stone, with light "dancing around" inside it. Black areas that appear...dead, are not a good thing (especially if they're large), since you'll never see any brilliance (sparkle) coming out of there. A stone shouldn't have a window (an area that leaks light right through the stone so that you see what's behind it, like through a window) or color zoning - it should have as uniform of a a color as possible across the entire surface. A nice outline with good symmetry is also something desirable. Those are some of the basic things you should pay attention to.

beach

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks ma re!! In regards to this specific stone and the limited information provided, is there anything that may be of obvious concern? I know that this is not "ideal" in some areas but how is the total package in regards to cut, price, color, vendor...? I am new to colored gemstones so any info is appreciated. I want to learn and my feelings will not be hurt. No need to sugar coat
3.gif
The gem would be for a RHR ring....

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/25/2009 12:21:53 PM
Author: beach
Thanks!! In regards to this specific stone and the limited information provided, is there anything that may be of concern? I know that this is not ''ideal'' but how is the total package in regards to cut, price, color, vendor...? I am new to colored gemstones so any info is appreciated. I want to learn and my feelings will not be hurt. No need to sugar coat
3.gif
PS this would be for a RHR ring....
For a sapphire of African origin (not from Madagascar), I feel you paid a fair price. You can actually find these stones for less $$$, but you might not be able to find them in the cut/size you want. The important thing is to assess it''s color when you get it at home since vendor pictures are usually taken to make it look it''s best. Look at it in various light sources (natural, artificial) and note the color zoning and green hue that John mentioned. Is it obvious, something that would detract from the stone''s beauty?? Please also post pictures on PS and ask people for their honest opinions of the stone.

beach

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the additional info!!! I will for sure post pics when it arrives.

My basic parameters are don''t spend over 1000
3.gif
and get a stone that is like an antique cushion cut
1.gif
Color is flexible and I actually wanted something pastel at first but I am exploring options. Tourmalines worried me a little because of there hardness so I narrowed down to spinels and sapphires.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
I''ll let others judge the price factor, but I can tell you that I don''t think this stone has a great color coverage. If the photo is accurate, it has an area where color is a bit washed out (lighter than the rest of the stone), but other than that the stone is quite nice (looks to be lively, outline is without flaws, color may be a bit dark, but wait untill you get the stone to judge it properly). But be aware, that any stone will get slightly darker once set, and that effect is especially pronounced in bezels since they completely encircle the stone. That might make this stone look very dark after setting.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with Mr. Ma Rae. I have a feeling that stone would look too dark in a bezel, but check it out when you get it home.

beach

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/25/2009 12:55:41 PM
Author: ma re
I'll let others judge the price factor, but I can tell you that I don't think this stone has a great color coverage. If the photo is accurate, it has an area where color is a bit washed out (lighter than the rest of the stone), but other than that the stone is quite nice (looks to be lively, outline is without flaws, color may be a bit dark, but wait untill you get the stone to judge it properly). But be aware, that any stone will get slightly darker once set, and that effect is especially pronounced in bezels since they completely encircle the stone. That might make this stone look very dark after setting.
Not sure about the color either. I will check it out and post alot of pics. As for bezeling colored stones, they tend to get alot darker? So they don't respond to bezeling like diamonds do? That is good to know! Thanks!!

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/25/2009 12:59:35 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
I agree with Mr. Ma Rae. I have a feeling that stone would look too dark in a bezel, but check it out when you get it home.

I do too. As much as I love a JM bezel, I think this stone may be too dark for one. In any case, you''ve gotten some great advice, and I hope it works out for you! I really love the shape.

beach

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/25/2009 1:05:14 PM
Author: coatimundi

Date: 5/25/2009 12:59:35 PM

I do too. As much as I love a JM bezel, I think this stone may be too dark for one. In any case, you''ve gotten some great advice, and I hope it works out for you! I really love the shape.
Thoughts on tourmalines and overall duability? The reason I ask is because i love the colors!! plus the prices are better
3.gif
Should I just stick with spinels and sapphires for the added strength?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/25/2009 1:35:57 PM

Thoughts on tourmalines and overall duability? The reason I ask is because i love the colors!! plus the prices are better
3.gif
If you're not hard on your rings, and you're careful, tourmalines should be fine. If you're someone that knocks around your jewelry quite a bit, I wouldn't recommend them. Some people do not care for tourmalines because they're not a very high refractive index, they don't sparkle as much, but as far as colors, I cannot think of any gem species with a wider variety. I think the thing to avoid with tourmalines are those with what is known as a "closed c-axis." While there are many beautiful colored tourmalines, some have a tendency to go black or "extinct" in certain lighting or all lighting, and when I look for tourmalines, I look for those with a double open axis, in which the color is bright throughout the stone and doesn't go black or dark in various light sources. I collect tourmalines (hence my userid name), so that's what I go after. If you're looking for a nice blue tourmaline (indicolite) with an open c axis, they tend to also be a bit pricey. Here are some examples of nice quality indicolite tourmalines. If you click on his sold items, you can see some gorgeous ones that were sold in the past. Truth is that they're getting harder and harder to come by. I'm going to be setting a blue tourmaline in a week or so (if the setting comes back nicely), so I'll post pictures. It's a bright stone and a round.

http://www.litnon.com/index.php?page=view&cat=150

Some of these are very dark, like 6146 and 7044, and I wouldn't go for those, but at least you can see some examples of decent blue tourmaline on that page. Occassionally Barry from acstones.com occassionally gets them in as well. Also make sure they don't go to grey in certain lighting as well.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/25/2009 1:46:40 PM
3.gif

If you''re not hard on your rings, and you''re careful, tourmalines should be fine. If you''re someone that knocks around your jewelry quite a bit, I wouldn''t recommend them. Some people do not care for tourmalines because they''re not a very high refractive index, they don''t sparkle as much, but as far as colors, I cannot think of any gem species with a wider variety. I think the thing to avoid with tourmalines are those with what is known as a ''closed c-axis.'' While there are many beautiful colored tourmalines, some have a tendency to go black or ''extinct'' in certain lighting or all lighting, and when I look for tourmalines, I look for those with a double open axis, in which the color is bright throughout the stone and doesn''t go black or dark in various light sources. I collect tourmalines (hence my userid name), so that''s what I go after. If you''re looking for a nice blue tourmaline (indicolite) with an open c axis, they tend to also be a bit pricey. Here are some examples of nice quality indicolite tourmalines. If you click on his sold items, you can see some gorgeous ones that were sold in the past. Truth is that they''re getting harder and harder to come by. I''m going to be setting a blue tourmaline in a week or so (if the setting comes back nicely), so I''ll post pictures. It''s a bright stone and a round.

Some of these are very dark, like 6146 and 7044, and I wouldn''t go for those, but at least you can see some examples of decent blue tourmaline on that page. Occassionally Barry from acstones.com occassionally gets them in as well. Also make sure they don''t go to grey in certain lighting as well.
Sapphires have at least just as many.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/25/2009 1:57:58 PM
Author: FrekeChild

Date: 5/25/2009 1:46:40 PM

3.gif

If you're not hard on your rings, and you're careful, tourmalines should be fine. If you're someone that knocks around your jewelry quite a bit, I wouldn't recommend them. Some people do not care for tourmalines because they're not a very high refractive index, they don't sparkle as much, but as far as colors, I cannot think of any gem species with a wider variety. I think the thing to avoid with tourmalines are those with what is known as a 'closed c-axis.' While there are many beautiful colored tourmalines, some have a tendency to go black or 'extinct' in certain lighting or all lighting, and when I look for tourmalines, I look for those with a double open axis, in which the color is bright throughout the stone and doesn't go black or dark in various light sources. I collect tourmalines (hence my userid name), so that's what I go after. If you're looking for a nice blue tourmaline (indicolite) with an open c axis, they tend to also be a bit pricey. Here are some examples of nice quality indicolite tourmalines. If you click on his sold items, you can see some gorgeous ones that were sold in the past. Truth is that they're getting harder and harder to come by. I'm going to be setting a blue tourmaline in a week or so (if the setting comes back nicely), so I'll post pictures. It's a bright stone and a round.

Some of these are very dark, like 6146 and 7044, and I wouldn't go for those, but at least you can see some examples of decent blue tourmaline on that page. Occassionally Barry from acstones.com occassionally gets them in as well. Also make sure they don't go to grey in certain lighting as well.
Sapphires have at least just as many.
Not from what I've read and have seen (ie I've never seen a neon turquoise colored sapphire or a vivid chrome green sapphire). However, as for the various colors of sapphires, you then you get into the leary world of treatments, and it's pretty scary to be searching around for a non-blue sapphire. Besides, I think the OP wants a blue stone (OP correct me if I'm wrong).

beach

Brilliant_Rock
WOW. So much info and thanks for the link!!!!! I appreciate everyones help. I am actually open to color choices. Really don't want bright pink though. I want an antique cushion cut (more square than oval) in a stone that is cut well and has nice bright color due to the high possibility of it being put in a bezel setting. 1000 is the limit and if possible I want between 1.5 and 2 cts. Maybe a spinel or sapphire for the hardness.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
If you aren''t stuck on color or species, why not look towards a garnet? They are soooo sparkly. Most are not treated and come in a beautiful range of colors.

beach

Brilliant_Rock
love garnets too but again the hardness worries me for a ring.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/25/2009 5:06:27 PM
Garnets are a 7 to a 7.5 A little harder than tourmalines. Basically Moh''s Hardness indicates how easily a stone will get scratches. Diamonds are a 10 but have cleavage and will break if hit hard enough in the right spot.

Spinel and Garnet sparkle alot and don''t have cleavage and are fairly scratch resistant. For me they are good choices. If I found a sapphire I loved I would consider that also.

HTH

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/25/2009 8:20:20 PM
Author: Stone Hunter

Date: 5/25/2009 5:06:27 PM
Garnets are a 7 to a 7.5 A little harder than tourmalines. Basically Moh''s Hardness indicates how easily a stone will get scratches. Diamonds are a 10 but have cleavage and will break if hit hard enough in the right spot.

Spinel and Garnet sparkle alot and don''t have cleavage and are fairly scratch resistant. For me they are good choices. If I found a sapphire I loved I would consider that also.

HTH
Sorry the highlighted part just isn''t true. I have it stuck in my mind. My numbers are correct, but I am biased against tourmaline and I don''t know why. I have seen the PS photos and looked at them in person. They are lovely.

Anyway if you are considering garnet also consider tourmaline.

Hope that clears things up!

beach

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you!!! My search will now consist of tourmaline, garnet and spinel in cushion cuts with brighter/lighter colors.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you want something bright, sparkly and inexpensive for a ring stone, a garnet will fit the bill. A spinel can get costly depending on the colour you choose. My caution with tourmalines is to be sure you check that they hold their colour. Most tourmalines tend to get muddy under incandescent lighting.

As explained by the cutter, that sapphire shows colour zoning in the picture and some degree of gray. It also looks to be too dark for a bezel, even an open styled JM setting.

beach

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/25/2009 10:15:08 PM
Author: Chrono
If you want something bright, sparkly and inexpensive for a ring stone, a garnet will fit the bill. A spinel can get costly depending on the colour you choose. My caution with tourmalines is to be sure you check that they hold their colour. Most tourmalines tend to get muddy under incandescent lighting.

As explained by the cutter, that sapphire shows colour zoning in the picture and some degree of gray. It also looks to be too dark for a bezel, even an open styled JM setting.
I really like the garnets and they seem to be available at several sites in cushion cuts. John was very nice and said that we could just cancel the stone before he shipped tomorrow. He did not think it would be too dark in a bezel but at this point I am thinking I should consider other stones. Are certain color garnets more desirable than others? Any garnets on his site or other vendor sites that I should consider?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/25/2009 10:21:33 PM
I really like the garnets and they seem to be available at several sites in cushion cuts. John was very nice and said that we could just cancel the stone before he shipped tomorrow. He did not think it would be too dark in a bezel but at this point I am thinking I should consider other stones. Are certain color garnets more desirable than others? Any garnets on his site or others that I should consider?
With garnets, you do have to be overly cautious about them being too dark, unless you like very dark stones in general.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Garnets come in many colours and since you plan to bezel it, I'd stick with the lighter and brighter ones. There are some that tend towards being dark. Desireability of colour is just a preference of the buyer/wearer.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
If you like a limeish yellow color (slightly green yellow), chrysoberyl is a very durable, sparkly, bright and quite affordable stone - and it also comes in this minty bluish green shade, which is not as vibrant but you may like it, in which case it''s called vanadium chrysoberyl. Or if you''d like something really unique there''s the one called andalusite, which is also very durable, quite sparkly and not too expensive. Just thought I might mention these stones which are not seen that often nowdays.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results