shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on ACA Hearts&Arrows

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

robd1438

Rough_Rock
I''m waiting for the AGS Report to be viewable, but here is all the information I have as of now. Hopefully by this afternoon I''ll real stone pics i can post. Can anyone provide some feedback on how this diamond will be? I''ve done alot of research and read through alot of this board and it looks great to me. Just some more feedback would be nice as i''m still slightly hesitant on spending this much money on something i can''t see. Thanks!

Carat: 1.225
Color: H
Clarity: VS1
Depth: 60.3
Table: 56
Crown Angle: 34.7
Crown %: 15.4
Pavilion Angle: 40.7
Pavilion %: 42.7
Girdle: 1.1% to 1.7% Faceted
Polish: Ideal
Symmetry: Ideal
Culet: Pointed
Fluorescence: Negligible
Measurements: 6.95-6.97X4.20

sarin_AGS-4797506.gif

IS_AGS-4797506.jpg

THANKS!

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
WOW - this stone looks GORGEOUS from the ideal scope.

The numbers are right on - my ACA stone has nearly the same numbers, and it is STUNNING.

Nice pick! You have NOTHING to worry about.....Whiteflash is top-notch to deal with. You'll get your money's worth and more.

Patty

Ideal_Rock
It looks like it will be gorgeous based on the numbers and the picture you posted. It appears to have no white spots on the red picture indicating great light output!

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Should be an absolute dazzler!!
3.gif
And the ~7mm size is GREAT!!
love.gif

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
hahaha - you're joking about needing feedback on this stone, right? LOOK at that ideal scope shot! It'll be AMAZING for sure
9.gif

Michelle

LesleyH

Brilliant_Rock
robd1438:

I wanted to update you. We have been in touch with the AGS lab and they are really busy. However, they have assured us that this ACA along with many of the other new stones will be here the middle of next week. Then you'll be able to view the AGS DQD (certificate).

LesleyH
www.whiteflash.com

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow that picture is amazing...nice image & eye-popping numbers!!!
love.gif

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I don't mean to sound critical but there are 2 notable blacks between the arrow shafts which indicates that one heart may be out of sync with the rest, ie smaller due to lower girdles cut longer between those 2 pavilion mains than the others.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock

----------------
On 2/20/2004 6:38:28 PM Rhino wrote:

I don't mean to sound critical but there are 2 notable blacks between the arrow shafts which indicates that one heart may be out of sync with the rest, ie smaller due to lower girdles cut longer between those 2 pavilion mains than the others.

----------------

Really? How much out of sync? Are you suggesting that this stone won't perform AMAZINGLY? Are you suggesting that creates a light return problem? Perhaps you'd take an additional minute to tell us how you think those "notable blacks" will affect the stone's performance in any discernable way to the naked eye. I'd be very interested to know. To me, this seems a bit like observing that a lightbulb isn't completely tightly screwed all the way into the lamp.....even though the light *is* on. I must be missing the significant point, so perhaps you could help me out.

I know this will resonate with you because you yourself often say it.......if you were to compare this stone to the wide array of stones typically found on the retail market, I'm pretty sure there would be NO comparison. From what I see, this stone should blow those (and most others) away. What am I missing?

Rob, keep in mind that we all tend to get a bit over-the-top in our perfectionism....it's a PS-addition, cut-freak learned response. I'm sure the comments about the black arrows weren't meant to suggest that this stone wouldn't perform fantasticly or to discourage consideration of this stone.

robd1438

Rough_Rock
Thank you everyone for all your great feedback. You have all definately settled my uncertainties and i know this will blow away my soon to be fiancee. She is not expecting anything of this caliber. As soon as i get more pics and info i will post it up.

Lesley, thank you very much for the update. I spoke with Judi yesterday and she told me she expected it today, but when I didn't hear from her I found the link and looked to see these new updates. Do you think you would have everything all set by next friday? I'm hoping that that will be when i can get the funds wired as i plan to propose on a trip that we leave on march 7th for. I appreciate any more insight.

Thanks again and i'll be sure to post more. This board has been extremely helpful!!!!!

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
WOW!! A stone with a Cert hot off the press!!
3.gif

My ACA Ideal Scope looked very similar to that one. I can't imagine a better performing diamond!! Everything is sooooo colorful. Wal-Mart, the grocery store, washing dishes. I never knew there was so much color in every day life!!
9.gif

robd1438

Rough_Rock
thanks PQ, now you're getting me even more anxious to see this!!! Would you have any pictures of yours posted anywhere along with its details? Just something to hold me over until i can see this one.

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Silly ol' me... is the mark in the gray circle the issue ?

ACD.JPG

robd1438

Rough_Rock
are those spots an issue? or is it barely anything. i want this stone to blow her and everyone else away with its shine and sparkle and from everyone elses' comments it will do just that.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Get the hearts image from WF....if the hearts look okay then you should be golden. Get Brian's opinion on it as well, he will look at the stone for you and let him know your concerns. Brian is very honest...if he feels as though it may be an issue he will let you know.

Rhino, please do let us know what those marks may mean in your estimation...or else rob may just be left wondering if they are very detrimental to the stones beauty (which I doubt).

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
I wouldn't go borrowing trouble at this point, Rob. The diamond is still at AGS. While I know that Wednesday may seem like an eternity from now, you will learn absolutely everything there is to know about this diamond then. AGS will have evaluated the diamond and rendered their opinion. You'll have Sarin info to work with and crunch the HCA. You can chat with Brian Gavin on the phone while he physically holds and views the diamond. Brian has a great eye and he is 100% honest when he tells you what he sees.
2.gif

Edited to add: I just checked the info given at the start of the post. The actual Sarin probably won't vary much. The current info gives a HCA Score of 0.9, TIC, Ex/Ex/Ex/VG. It would be hard imagine this diamond not being a real dazzler.
1.gif

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
In short, yes, this stone *will* blow her away. Definitely.
9.gif
If you're having doubts, as others have suggested give Lesley or Brian a call and chat about the pros and cos of this stone. I bet you'll be amazed. There aren't many diamonds that are this beautiful out there.
1.gif

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Hi Al,

In answer to your question, no that detail will not affect the face up appearance of the diamond and I am admittedly splitting hairs here. However when it comes to H&A optical symmetry, we are in essence splitting hairs with regards to the size, shape and continuity of the hearts pattern. On our page of the minor facets I point out this type of feature in a stone we've anlayzed which I will copy/paste here.

Question: Is it possible to tell the optical results on the minor facets by reading a general Sarin or OGI Report?

While both Sarin & OGI each make instruments to measure the minor facets, most software/hardware
packages that stores/labs own do not show this data. At best you may find a report giving star/upper girdle
ratio or just star facet length. If the dimensions and minor facet measurements are know it is easier to assess
optical properties of the entire stone rather than attempt to make a prediction based on only the results of 18/58.
So the short answer to your question is no.

This diamond below is a good example to learn from.

Not only do all it's proportions fall in the AGS "0" zone but it's variances are super tight (min/max's). One would
automatically assume a *perfect* Hearts & Arrows optical symmetry but when we look at the photographs we
see a different story.

BR126FVVS1NREPORT.gif

Haha! Ok.. so I'm being anal. Yes we do have here what many manufacturers
& stores would consider a "true" Hearts & Arrows diamond (and perhaps I am being a tad crude in my
analysis, the stone really is gorgeous and we did purchase it but...). A variance that was too wild in one of the
lower girdle facets caused one heart, in the 8:00 position, to be smaller than the rest, thus disqualifying it as
a "true" H&A. Smaller hearts are the result of lengthening lower girdle facet length. And on the contrary
shortening lower girdle facet length increases the size of the hearts.

LOWERGIRDLES03.JPG

We can see the direct results of this in the face up view between the 4:00 & 6:00 arrows in the
"arrows pic" under the table facet and also in the LightScope image between the 7:30 & 9:00
arrow shafts under the table. Note that increasing lower girdle facet length increases the blacks
in the LightScope image at that point (thus increasing DCLR).

LOWERGIRDLES02.JPG
LOWERGIRDLES01.JPG

Regards,

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock

----------------
On 2/21/2004 11:44:06 AM robd1438 wrote:

are those spots an issue? or is it barely anything. i want this stone to blow her and everyone else away with its shine and sparkle and from everyone elses' comments it will do just that.
----------------

Rob.....not to worry at ALL......this stone will sparkle and shine like mad from the IS images.

The difference Rhino's pointing out is a technical difference, but it won't adversely affect the performance of the stone in any discernable way. H&A is a pattern.......and that's it. While it's nice to have, that doesn't mean that non H&A diamonds are inferior light performers. In fact, it's been observed by several experts over time here that sometimes non H&A diamonds outperform H&A diamonds.

I guess what I'm saying is this: all the science is cool and all.......but it ain't the be-all, end-all. The bottom line is will this sparkle like heck? and the answer is YES from what the IS shows. Think of it this way: by quantifiable measurements, one of your hands is slightly larger than the other.......but not enough to be noticeable when you look at them, and the infinitessimal difference doesn't make one hand less useful (or attractive) than the other. Make sense?

Lastly, Dave Atlas is a widely respected appraiser here on PS, and one of his "pearls of wisdom" is this: "You will need to LOOK at the diamonds. Don't pick one just by the numbers. Let the numbers guide you, but not be the sole deciding factor. Diamonds are a visual thing, not a scientific commodity."

AMEN, Dave.

I'm willing to bet that you'd be blown away by this diamond, Rob. My humble 2 cents.
9.gif

robd1438

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for the great feedback. I am anxiously awaiting to get the rest of the info from WF. I have already talked to Brian a little bit and I will be speaking to him again once all the info is final. I'm sure I will be more than impressed, I'm just getting anxious now to see it, and I'm not even the one who will be wearing it! As soon as i get the rest of the info i will post it up. Thanks again everyone!

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Any guy who says he doesn't enjoy a gorgeous diamond almost as much as his gal is lying!!
9.gif

Men love looking at great performers. And they love to puff out their chests when other women are envious.
11.gif

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
We're on the same page Al. Rob, from the numbers and IS you definetely have a performer there. Report the good news once you've taken the plunge and as you know on this forum ... WE WANT PICS.
1.gif

Regards,

robd1438

Rough_Rock
I'm hoping to talk to Judi, lesley or brian early this week, so i will definately keep everyone posted. I'm hoping to have the diamond in next Monday so you know by monday night there'll be pictures. The plan is to then get it appraised and mounted by Friday. It'll be a busy next week before we take off Sunday afternoon. This forum is great and I definately can't wait to share my experience with you all. there'll be posts w/pics and stuff before and the story after!

Stephan

Ideal_Rock

----------------
On 2/21/2004 3:14:49 PM Rhino wrote:

This diamond below is a good example to learn from.

Not only do all it's proportions fall in the AGS '0' zone but it's variances are super tight (min/max's). One would
automatically assume a *perfect* Hearts & Arrows optical symmetry but when we look at the photographs we
see a different story.

BR126FVVS1NREPORT.gif

Haha! Ok.. so I'm being anal. Yes we do have here what many manufacturers
& stores would consider a 'true' Hearts & Arrows diamond (and perhaps I am being a tad crude in my
analysis, the stone really is gorgeous and we did purchase it but...). A variance that was too wild in one of the
lower girdle facets caused one heart, in the 8:00 position, to be smaller than the rest, thus disqualifying it as
a 'true' H&A. Smaller hearts are the result of lengthening lower girdle facet length. And on the contrary
shortening lower girdle facet length increases the size of the hearts.

LOWERGIRDLES03.JPG

We can see the direct results of this in the face up view between the 4:00 & 6:00 arrows in the
'arrows pic' under the table facet and also in the LightScope image between the 7:30 & 9:00
arrow shafts under the table. Note that increasing lower girdle facet length increases the blacks
in the LightScope image at that point (thus increasing DCLR).

LOWERGIRDLES02.JPG
LOWERGIRDLES01.JPG

Regards,

----------------

I found this diamond in your Educational Diamonds, so it's already sold. Is it cheaper than the true H&A's that you sell?

My question: is the consumer allowed to ask a discount for such nearly true H&A's?

BTW, the BScope still looks great!

/idealbb/files/bs1.gif

Regards,

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Very good question Stephan. Actually that diamond did not cost me less but if I did not offer it at a discounted price it'd make for a tougher sell. The B'scope results also confirm what Al and I pointed out too. One heart out of sync will not affect the face up performance of the stone. While there is that similarity with the diamond in question however (both have a smaller heart) both stones would get different results in B'scope testing due to minor facet cutting (one is of longer star/lower girdle, one of the shorter star/lower girdle variety). Both are beautiful.

All the best,

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results