shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on a princess?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

cnay

Rough_Rock
Hi there,
Thanks all for the useful info I''ve been reading through on my journey to get a diamond - so very useful!

I''ve finally found a princess diamond I think I like and wanted to get any thoughts on quality/value. I''d be buying the diamond from the jeweler who is making the engagement ring.

Details....
AGS graded
Shape and Style: Square Modified Brilliant
Measurements: 5.33x5.25x4.16mm
Cut Grade: AGS Excellent 1
Color Grade: AGS 1.0 (F)
Clarity Grade: AGS 3 (VS1)
Carat: 1.000 ct
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent

Total Depth: 79.3%
Table: 64.3%
Girdle: thin to medium
Crown: 45.4 deg
Crown depth: 15.2%
Pavillion depth: 60.4%
Pavillion: 40.5 deg
girdle depth: 2.6-3.9%

Price: $9100 Canadian = $7071 USD

Thanks for any thoughts!!

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Regarding cut, it''s difficult to judge princess cuts by numbers without detailed photos, but you have the advantage of looking at an AGS-graded stone with a cut quality grade. The cut grade of AGS1 is promising. Do you happen to know what the light performance grade is? If it''s a 0, you have the cream of the crop in terms of princess cut quality. Of the three factors that go into the cut grade, light performance is more important than proportions and polish/symmetry. If it''s 1, you don''t have the top of the line, but it''s probably going to be a pretty stone, certainly not a dog.

Other thoughts...I think the price sounds ok for the size, color, and clarity...not a super-great deal, but not terrible either. It''s also quite deep, but many of the best cut princesses out there have depths in that range, so that''s not necessarily a detriment. Because of the depth, the dimensions are a tad smaller than we normally see for a 1ct princess (about 5.5 x 5.5).

Here is an example of an ideal-cut princess with similar specs. The price is similar; the dimensions are a tad larger as I alluded to earlier.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/5/2009 9:38:05 PM
Author:cnay
Hi there,
Thanks all for the useful info I''ve been reading through on my journey to get a diamond - so very useful!

I''ve finally found a princess diamond I think I like and wanted to get any thoughts on quality/value. I''d be buying the diamond from the jeweler who is making the engagement ring.

Details....
AGS graded
Shape and Style: Square Modified Brilliant
Measurements: 5.33x5.25x4.16mm
Cut Grade: AGS Excellent 1
Color Grade: AGS 1.0 (F)
Clarity Grade: AGS 3 (VS1)
Carat: 1.000 ct
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent

Total Depth: 79.3%
Table: 64.3%
Girdle: thin to medium
Crown: 45.4 deg
Crown depth: 15.2%
Pavillion depth: 60.4%
Pavillion: 40.5 deg
girdle depth: 2.6-3.9%

Price: $9100 Canadian = $7071 USD

Thanks for any thoughts!!
Welcome!

Have you seen the diamond in person?

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you seen it in person?

I kind of question this stone: 1.000 cts. Yeah. And it''s pretty deep, so it''s facing up a little bit smaller than some other 1 AGS stones. Probably is much better than the average princess, though.

cnay

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the replies!

Unfortunately, there was no mention of light performance on the AGS certificate.

Yes, I saw it yesterday as well as the certificate. I compared it to another 1.0ct princess and did notice the slightly smaller table and the bigger depth - the other stone was an ideal cut (but a G colour), which was what I was originally looking for. My lady has mentioned in the past that she would prefer a Canadian diamond (though I''m sure she''d love the ones that aren''t too!) - the one with the specs above is Canadian whereas the ideal cut was not.

Thanks again for the thoughts!

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock

cnay

Rough_Rock
Hmmmmm......I''m open to online purchase. Only thing that makes me nervous is that I''m in Canada - so a bit more complicated with duty and shipping - but still possible I suppose.....I''ll have to think about that - thanks for the suggestion!

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
GOG has shipped to Canada. They just did it just a few weeks ago. Give them a call and ask about the procedure and cost.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results