shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on a garnet

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

karee888

Brilliant_Rock
Hi all,

I''ve come across a garnet that I really, really like. I love the color. But, I wanted to get your opinion as well. I''ve got it on hold.

Here''s the link and the pic:

thumb_196ccgarnetcush3.jpg

karee888

Brilliant_Rock
bigger

196ccgarnet1cush3.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is quite pretty; it shows some blue undertone and flash. Did you ask the vendor if it colour shifts under different lighting?

ETA
I see that it does to an orangish peach colour. I also see that it's SOLD! Was that you?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry for the double post.
emembarrassed.gif

karee888

Brilliant_Rock
According to the site, it does --

Notes: From a pinkish purple (incandescent) to orangy peach (fluorescent).

karee888

Brilliant_Rock
It''s not sold yet...on hold :)

It''s a large purchase for me, gemstone-wise...so I want to be careful about it.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the pink is pretty :) The color shift picture makes it look kind of murky though, but that may just be because garnets close up a little under that kind of lighting.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think it''s really pretty. Have you asked him for more pictures? I know John pumps a lot of light into his stones, so it may only look like that in strong lighting conditions, but I still think it''s pretty.

karee888

Brilliant_Rock
I''m questioning the color change though...doesn''t it look brownish? It''s not a pretty orange like the shifting tourmaline I have from Barry...

redfaerythinker

Brilliant_Rock
I think it''s really pretty. But I''m not an expert on colored stones.
1.gif

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/16/2009 4:02:09 PM
Author: karee888
I''m questioning the color change though...doesn''t it look brownish? It''s not a pretty orange like the shifting tourmaline I have from Barry...

I just posted pics of my color changing malaya, it looks brownish in it''s gold-color version. It may just be part and parcel of how the lighting effects the look of the garnet by washing away the red?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Woah! Not an attractive change. I''d pass. I''ve seen Malaias with much better colour shifts.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ok the pink is pretty. The brown? Not so much.

GemRite

Rough_Rock
I retook the photos with a little less light. The first photo in the fluorescent light was not a good photo. I did retake the photo, it is primarily orange with a hint of brown. It reminds me of a hessonite garnet.

karee888

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/16/2009 11:54:06 PM
Author: GemRite
I retook the photos with a little less light. The first photo in the fluorescent light was not a good photo. I did retake the photo, it is primarily orange with a hint of brown. It reminds me of a hessonite garnet.

Ahh, that does look much better! The shift looks much more attractive now!!

So...maybe a dumb question...but what lighting condition will make the stone look like the original picture?

GemRite

Rough_Rock
It was a horrible bulb and lighting setup I was using. I have switched how I take the photos as well. This is the way the stone appears to the eye. I am diffusing the light, this why the stones appear to have a lot of light in them. If you don''t diffuse the shot of the stone at all you end up with a blank looking stone. As you know when you take a photo it can be hard to get the right flash in the gem to represent what the stone looks like. I am always learning and trying to improve my photos to be true to life of the stone. Since this saves me money :razz: heh. Before the light i was using was not strong for one and the other was the bulb was not a good standard fluorescent bulb. I will try to retake the photos. As i get more time and things settle down here I will retake all of the photos. Just tons of works. Hope this helps. :)

karee888

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/17/2009 12:19:15 AM
Author: GemRite
It was a horrible bulb and lighting setup I was using. I have switched how I take the photos as well. This is the way the stone appears to the eye. I am diffusing the light, this why the stones appear to have a lot of light in them. If you don''t diffuse the shot of the stone at all you end up with a blank looking stone. As you know when you take a photo it can be hard to get the right flash in the gem to represent what the stone looks like. I am always learning and trying to improve my photos to be true to life of the stone. Since this saves me money :razz: heh. Before the light i was using was not strong for one and the other was the bulb was not a good standard fluorescent bulb. I will try to retake the photos. As i get more time and things settle down here I will retake all of the photos. Just tons of works. Hope this helps. :)

Thanks for the info! That makes sense. And it''s good to know that you are working on new photos!

So now I am stuck. The pink is gorgeous, and the real :) orange is pretty, too. And it''s big [for me]! And a great cut. What''s a girl to do? I''d want to put it in the ever-popular LOGR halo bezel.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Much better! Yay John!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

Ok, I like the orange.
1.gif

mariedtiger

Brilliant_Rock
This stone is really gorgeous, I have been admiring it for ages. The new photos represent it much better. I think it would look great in a LOGR!

ma re

Ideal_Rock
I think the stone is pretty, but are you sure it would fit in a standard bezel due to those little points on the four sides?

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
I really like it, I say go for it!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Warning: Debby Downer coming up.
It looks better now but I still see too much brown for me to handle personally.

karee888

Brilliant_Rock
someone should have it! it can''t keep sitting there :)

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
I like the pinkish hue, and I would have to see the orangeish hue in person to be able to judge. I like to see photos of colored stones in diffused natural light. Not the best lighting for many gems, but if a gem looks good in diffused natural, then it gives me an indicator of what it might do in incandescent.

With a gem that shifts or changes color? Imo--absolutely best to judge in person.

karee888

Brilliant_Rock
Well, I''ve decided to wait on this gorgeous stone until I get back from my trip. If it''s meant to be, it''ll be there when I get back.

But, in the meantime, it''s been taken off of reserve, and John took some new pictures of it. Drool. If you get it, post maaaaaaaaaaany pics! :)

malayccgarncush4d.jpg

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do really like the new photos. I think I''d have to see it in person to know if I like the color change though.

I can see why it''s hard to decide on this one.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results