shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on a 5+ carat RB

twosanguinehearts

Brilliant_Rock
Hi! I am looking at a diamond over 5 carats that scores a .9 on the HCA. If I remember correctly, a stone would ideally fall between 1-2 for a ring. Is that still the case? I haven’t seen this one in person yet, but I’m told it’s white and bright!

My concern with the score would be any part of the stone appearing dark. Is the crown angle a bit too low for ideal performance?? Here are the stats and a photo if anyone has thoughts??

1B77EDAF-7106-4BF0-803E-69AABF76CEBF.jpeg
A89E4A69-CDAE-413D-8AA4-390BE6A3A57B.jpeg

Last edited:

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you put an ideal scope or ASET to it? I'd be worried about leakage.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The numbers all look great, but an IS/ASET would help confirm.

twosanguinehearts

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks @LLJsmom @lovedogs @diamondseeker2006 - I did request the IS/ASET. There is also a return policy on the stone so thinking I might give it a shot in person. I’m driving myself crazy reading about how these angles may or may not work together!

twosanguinehearts

Brilliant_Rock
Alrighty, so the jeweler doesn’t have the IS/ASET so I need to find someone locally who can grab those for me. That said, I did order the stone so I could see it in person. It’s really beautiful! Super clean and super bright, very well cut.

My only concern - I think my N color old miner made me more color sensitive than I was before! This RB is a G and I swear I keep focusing on the almost non existent tint. Perhaps my taste leans colorless in modern cuts...but I know the price will jump extensively if I want to go there. Trying to decide if it’s necessary to go whiter or if I can get out of my head and think rationally about this!

Here are pics and a video of the unset stone resting on top of an empty setting. The video was taken in the most flattering backyard light that reflects all the colors. Let me know your thoughts!

Video:

Click here for video of G color RB

Pics:

8C15CA19-EC37-4628-9730-6B428CC71C49.jpeg
2E0B72EF-8470-4670-8079-42721E1FDDBC.jpeg D0374163-8924-48F7-9FBA-292FD6448A04.jpeg

1BE35C80-D59B-48D4-841D-C45CAC9C1F00.jpeg
2F9BAF15-A815-4A37-BBDE-05ADDD20484B.jpeg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it is pretty, but it doesn't sound like you are just in love with it. I can't imagine paying the price jump to F in 5 cts. Does this vendor have a good upgrade policy if you choose to change stones later? I honestly wouldn't consider a stone of this value without it.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is the stone graded by GIA?

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
I wonder if the seeming tint in the pictures are actually this person's house/background color reflected in the diamond. It's a beautiful diamond.

marrduk24

Shiny_Rock
Alrighty, so the jeweler doesn’t have the IS/ASET so I need to find someone locally who can grab those for me. That said, I did order the stone so I could see it in person. It’s really beautiful! Super clean and super bright, very well cut.

what city are you in? Looks like a pretty stone. But at this price point you just do full due diligence.

do you have GIA cert?

if you are in NYC, GCAL is a good lab to work with? They have something similar to Idealscope and ASET.

marrduk24

Shiny_Rock
I have seen that video a few times now and everyone I see it, I go that’s awesome. As much as I am a sucker for all of the technical tests, there is no substitute for eye test. So if you like your diamond in multiple lighting conditions, I say go for it. I think it is a superbly cut diamond and the video supports it.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@twosanguinehearts , you need to take a video everywhere. That shaded spot where you took that linked video makes all diamonds look gorgeous like that. If you want, post like 4-5 more videos in various lighting. Go to rooms where you have painted or tinted walls and ceiling and warm room lighting.

Sorry I'm not on board yet. For that much money, I will be as critical as if I were buying that stone myself. Keep looking at it in various lighting, more dark lighting. Are there spots that seem to continue NOT to light up, even small spots. Are there spots that seem statically white. Now that I have a super ideal and a non-super ideal sitting right next to each other on my hand, I can clearly see the difference. Color tolerance. Give yourself several days to be REAL with yourself. Don't talk yourself into compromising if you know you'll be thinking about it after your purchase. If something about the color bothers you, it will continue to bother you. I turned down an F because I could not get over my first gut reaction to the stone. What is your initial honest gut reaction to the stone?

Last edited:

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
I hope the ASET checks out. It's a beauty!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For this kind of money I'd want a super ideal cut. That just me. What is the carat weight of this stone, 5.99ct? and I'll be nosy, how much $$$?. Can you post the GIA report?

twosanguinehearts

Brilliant_Rock
For this kind of money I'd want a super ideal cut. That just me. What is the carat weight of this stone, 5.99ct? and I'll be nosy, how much $$$?. Can you post the GIA report?

Oh I would as well - believe me, I would ideally get an ACA but it doesn't seem like I can hit the size or color I'm after and would prefer not to be upgrading forever. This stone is just over 5 carats, and it's below the six figure range. It's really going to be about achieving the right balance, all factors considered. Honestly, this may not be the one, but it really does have quite a lot going for it!

twosanguinehearts

Brilliant_Rock
Love that 5 carat size! Looks very pretty. I’d imagine for most of the time it will be bright and white.

You're probably right. It's funny because I had an N color old miner and currently have an L color old miner cluster...so this is much whiter than what I've had recently. I guess I just like a white modern stone!

twosanguinehearts

Brilliant_Rock
No wonky pavilion. No noticeable leakage or girdle treatment.
I expect it will be great under the IS scope.
Amazing that you found such well cut diamond in this carat range from a non super ideal brand/vendor.

Thank you so much for the feedback! That was exactly the goal - I've been searching up and down with all of the usual online suspects as well as jewelers here in LA hoping to find a needle in a haystack. Do you think most local jewelers would have IS/ASET available? I'm in Los Angeles, though not close to the diamond district and hoping to avoid a drive. I suppose I can always buy the kits from here but would be nice if I can get someone to do it for me!!

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Thank you so much for the feedback! That was exactly the goal - I've been searching up and down with all of the usual online suspects as well as jewelers here in LA hoping to find a needle in a haystack. Do you think most local jewelers would have IS/ASET available? I'm in Los Angeles, though not close to the diamond district and hoping to avoid a drive. I suppose I can always buy the kits from here but would be nice if I can get someone to do it for me!!

Are you crafty? You can make your own with a loupe and some office folders. I was just looking it up on PS.

twosanguinehearts

Brilliant_Rock
Love that 5 carat size! Looks very pretty. I’d imagine for most of the time it will be bright and white.

Thank you @Gemly ! I hope so!! Part of the issue is that the stone is loose and I'm having trouble balancing it on my empty setting (which was originally made for a 2ct stone). I want to twist and turn it but I don't want to drop it!!

Also, how did you capture that amazing photo in your profile pic??? I can't stop looking at it! Do you often see warmth in your I color? You have my absolute FAVORITE stack of all time, btw!!!!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results