shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on a 5+ carat RB

twosanguinehearts

Brilliant_Rock
Are you crafty? You can make your own with a loupe and some office folders. I was just looking it up on PS.

Oooo that would be amazing! I do enjoy crafting. I'll look this up!!! Thanks!

Dmndsr4evr11

Brilliant_Rock
Alrighty, so the jeweler doesn’t have the IS/ASET so I need to find someone locally who can grab those for me. That said, I did order the stone so I could see it in person. It’s really beautiful! Super clean and super bright, very well cut.

My only concern - I think my N color old miner made me more color sensitive than I was before! This RB is a G and I swear I keep focusing on the almost non existent tint. Perhaps my taste leans colorless in modern cuts...but I know the price will jump extensively if I want to go there. Trying to decide if it’s necessary to go whiter or if I can get out of my head and think rationally about this!

Here are pics and a video of the unset stone resting on top of an empty setting. The video was taken in the most flattering backyard light that reflects all the colors. Let me know your thoughts!

Video:

Click here for video of G color RB

Pics:

8C15CA19-EC37-4628-9730-6B428CC71C49.jpeg
2E0B72EF-8470-4670-8079-42721E1FDDBC.jpeg D0374163-8924-48F7-9FBA-292FD6448A04.jpeg

1BE35C80-D59B-48D4-841D-C45CAC9C1F00.jpeg
2F9BAF15-A815-4A37-BBDE-05ADDD20484B.jpeg

Wow! It’s big, bold, and beautiful.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can't see anything wrong with it in the videos, but videos are nothing compared to real life viewing. Either you absolutely LOVE it, or you don't. I'd keep it if you LOVE it, keep looking if you don't!

Is this a situation where you are upgrading with a particular vendor or not?

twosanguinehearts

Brilliant_Rock
I can't see anything wrong with it in the videos, but videos are nothing compared to real life viewing. Either you absolutely LOVE it, or you don't. I'd keep it if you LOVE it, keep looking if you don't!

Is this a situation where you are upgrading with a particular vendor or not?

I honestly do love it - what I’m trying to determine is whether I’m actually seeing “tint” or if it’s just reflection of the lighting and environment. If I’m going to see the same things in a colorless stone, I need to stop nitpicking every time I see what I’m interpreting as warmth. So I guess it’s just a matter of differentiating between true diamond behavior and reflection vs. the monsters in my head. No, not committed to working with this vendor. Just found this stone which I felt ticked so many boxes for a really nice price all factors considered!

Last edited:

munchee

Brilliant_Rock
What a beautiful stone!!!!!! The cut, the size is so good.. Color is a preference, I can’t see the tint outdoor. That size tho!!!!!!! :kiss2: :kiss2:
If you didn’t ended up getting it would you mind to share where did you get this stone so a fellow PSer can get it :lol: would love to see this beauty visiting us often:D

twosanguinehearts

Brilliant_Rock
What a beautiful stone!!!!!! The cut, the size is so good.. Color is a preference, I can’t see the tint outdoor. That size tho!!!!!!! :kiss2: :kiss2:
If you didn’t ended up getting it would you mind to share where did you get this stone so a fellow PSer can get it :lol: would love to see this beauty visiting us often:D

Ha!!!! I know, it’s really quite amazing! I think I’m just losing my mind and looking for things to nitpick. I can’t see the tint outdoors, in the shade, etc. The stone is also super bright - this was in my dark bedroom last night! The deal I got on it would also allow us to take care of some projects around the house so I’m trying to keep that in mind as well!!!

D702CEFD-F07F-41F5-BA37-EC7EE2AA41D6.jpeg

CBPearllover

Shiny_Rock

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, there's very little tint in a G. It's only going to show it if you are putting a D-E next to it. Almost all the over 5 ct ideal cut stones that I can recall here are H-J in color. A G is amazing at 5 cts. Seriously. I'd let that go right now if you love the stone. All diamonds will be affected by environmental color. A G less than an I or J. But a D is going to look whiter all the time, too.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What’s the clarity on this stone? And what are the inclusions? Does it have a report? If so, can you post the report? Blank out the carat weight and report number if you prefer, but please leave all other details.

Something feels kind of fishy here. Under 100k for 5+ is just too low unless maybe it’s lower clarity. I do see fluor, but even with that - my spidey senses aren’t happy.

Edit - I don’t see macabre brillianteering, but it’s there. If it’s GIA - did they ding it down to VG? Optical symmetry is imperfect but you aren’t buying a H&A stone so that’s to be expected.

Last edited:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What’s the clarity on this stone? And what are the inclusions? Can you post the report? Blank out the carat weight and report number if you prefer, but please leave all other details.

Something feels fishy here. Under 100k for 5+ is just too low unless it’s lower clarity. I do see fluor, but even with that - my spidey senses aren’t happy.

I was just thinking that if it has SI clouds and fluorescence, that can be a problem.

twosanguinehearts

Brilliant_Rock
What’s the clarity on this stone? And what are the inclusions? Does it have a report? If so, can you post the report? Blank out the carat weight and report number if you prefer, but please leave all other details.

Something feels kind of fishy here. Under 100k for 5+ is just too low unless maybe it’s lower clarity. I do see fluor, but even with that - my spidey senses aren’t happy.

Edit - I don’t see macabre brillianteering, but it’s there. If it’s GIA - did they ding it down to VG? Optical symmetry is imperfect but you aren’t buying a H&A stone so that’s to be expected.

Yep that’s why this was such a good deal and makes the decision even trickier! It wasn’t far under six figures, believe me...and there was a pricing error on the site that was also honored when I pushed back. It’s lower clarity but eye clean enough for me which is also something I have yet to encounter before I found this stone! Husband has the cert but I’ll try to get the details!

twosanguinehearts

Brilliant_Rock

Also what do you mean by macabre brillianteering? I’m not familiar with that phrase!

As a comparison, I was looking at a 5.2 ACA that was I/VS2 for just under $100k. This stone is higher in color and lower in clarity so it didn’t seem that off to me.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very good of your vendor to honour the pricing error!! And will def take another look once there’s more info ❤️

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

twosanguinehearts

Brilliant_Rock
Very good of your vendor to honour the pricing error!! And will def take another look once there’s more info ❤️

Hahaha well they weren’t excited about it, but when I smell a deal you can’t get me off the trail. :lol:

I so appreciate your input and willingness to help!!! I haven’t had a modern stone since the one I had recut into an OEC and those memories are now hazy.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also what do you mean by macabre brillianteering? I’m not familiar with that phrase!

As a comparison, I was looking at a 5.2 ACA that was I/VS2 for just under $100k. This stone is higher in color and lower in clarity so it didn’t seem that off to me.

I will be the dissenter here. If you found a I VS2 ACA I would consider that first. Yeah. It’s big but if there is leakage to me the size works against you. More surface area for them to be leakage. You can return the ACA too. What’s the return policy here?

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium

GIA will knock a grade down for excessive brillianteering. I believe even more so than AGS. I'd have to check my book for specifics though.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
GIA will knock a grade down for excessive brillianteering. I believe even more so than AGS. I'd have to check my book for specifics though.
Yes, they will, and yes, they’re known for being more conservative than AGS.

Last edited:

twosanguinehearts

Brilliant_Rock
I will be the dissenter here. If you found a I VS2 ACA I would consider that first. Yeah. It’s big but if there is leakage to me the size works against you. More surface area for them to be leakage. You can return the ACA too. What’s the return policy here?

I know, I’m just concerned about the I color since I’m already questioning a G. I still need to get the IS/ASET but so far the stone is extremely bright and I don’t see static/dead or dark spots. I hear what you’re saying though. I do have a return window so I’m using it to play with the diamond. I will ultimately listen to my gut if I don’t think it’s the one!!

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, they will, and yes, they’re known for being more conservative than AGS.

Thanks for confirming that for me. I'm having some work done in the house, and definitely didn't want to go hunting for my books.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

That’s good. Yes wear as much as possible and scrutinize. Look for spots where it doesn’t light up as much. In the end as long as you love it, it’s all good.

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Well now that you have tried a big OMC and a big MRB, why not try to big OEC? Looks like Weir and Sons have some nice ones in...:D

twosanguinehearts

Brilliant_Rock
Well now that you have tried a big OMC and a big MRB, why not try to big OEC? Looks like Weir and Sons have some nice ones in...:D

Ha!! I’m not opposed to it! I had a 2.4ct OEC before but it wasn’t an antique. The problem is there are too many choices and I love them all!!!!

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Ha!! I’m not opposed to it! I had a 2.4ct OEC before but it wasn’t an antique. The problem is there are too many choices and I love them all!!!!

If I lived close to Weir and Sons I would be running over there to try on rings right now:lol:

twosanguinehearts

Brilliant_Rock
If I lived close to Weir and Sons I would be running over there to try on rings right now:lol:

That sounds very dangerous!!!! And your avatar is mesmerizing. Such a bad influence!!! :lol:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results