shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on a 3 Carat Round Brilliant

chefshaq

Rough_Rock

Hello! I have this diamond on hold for me. I am buying it locally, but found the diamond listed online from the GIA number. The listing link has a 360 video and a link to the GIA report but if needed I can list the stats here.

Comparing it to similar spec stones, I got a much better price than what I saw online, so I was happy with that. Before choosing it, I got to see it in multiple lighting environments and I thought it looked good in person. It didn’t look dark and had good sparkle and brightness. I tried to see if I could see colored paper through the stone, but didn’t notice any obvious windows/leakage. HCA scored 1.7 and on paper it falls into the GIA Ex/AGS Ideal proportions. Got to see it through a H&A viewer and it had the patterning, but it wasn’t as perfect as a branded H&A stones.

Based on what I’ve read up on cuts would the following be accurate about this stone? The proportions lean toward a 60/60 and BIC than a TIC. I’ve seen some concern about being at 41 pavilion angle, but that with a 34 crown and 80lgf it can be a good combination. I was wondering if it’s possible for someone to run the numbers for this diamond in DiamCalc to see an example ASET. I was not able to get ASET or idealscope images for this stone and wanted to see what it may look like. I understand the generated image would be based on perfect precise symmetry and not what the stone actually is.

It’s the first diamond I’m buying and just wanted to get some opinions on how I did, and if possible see what the computer generated ASET image may look like. I tried to do the best I could without getting ASET. I didn’t need VVS or D color, but from what they were sourcing for me this seemed like the best value. I understand it might not be the most ideal cut stone, but based on what it looked like in person and considering the price I think it was a good buy. I appreciate any thoughts or help!

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not liking the pavilion variation in this diamond. Are you open to buying online?

I found a few stones on Ritani and James Allen which look better cut.

chefshaq

Rough_Rock
Fair point! That was something I was irked by once I saw the 360 video, but viewing in person I didn’t really notice it. I was hoping to find a GIA graded diamond and one that was HPHT. The one I posted, I have priced for $10k. I do like the better face up symmetry of the ones you shared. The setting I’m looking at is about $1500 and was trying to get everything around $12k, give or take some.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fair point! That was something I was irked by once I saw the 360 video, but viewing in person I didn’t really notice it. I was hoping to find a GIA graded diamond and one that was HPHT. The one I posted, I have priced for $10k. I do like the better face up symmetry of the ones you shared. The setting I’m looking at is about $1500 and was trying to get everything around $12k, give or take some.

Here are a few GIA stones you could take a look at.

(the diamond isn't centered in the still image, so the symmetry looks worse than it actually is)

chefshaq

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your help! Is there one of those you like better than the rest?

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooo if I could only get that 3.78!

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results