shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on 6 prong round Ering with rose gold wrap

jsmakr

Rough_Rock
Hi all. I joined to get some feedback and opinions on the ering I just bought for my proposal. Please share your thoughts on the overall design and craftsmanship of the ring. To the eye, it came out perfect but I must admit I am slightly disappointed in it being set a little high. I insisted it not be set too high but this is how it came out. I know it was a little difficult to do the different metal for the wrap (had to be done separately vs one piece). Only when I inspect it at a close distance do I have some thoughts on how it could be tweaked but overall I know she will love it. I will try to get some better pictures soon - very hard to photograph with an iPhone as my only camera! Any tips appreciated. I also wanted to upload a video but don't see the option.

Ring specs:
1.55 I S11
GIA XXX
No fluorescence
.60 carat setting, total 2.15 ct
4.5 ring size
Platinum setting, lower wrap in rose gold

FullSizeRender copy 3.jpg

FullSizeRender2.jpg

The original inspiration for the ring:

AA2A6789-ABD3-424B-BDA7-F1F32DA67C34.JPG

Last edited:

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm sorry - and let me say straight up that all taste is subjective so there's no right and wrong on this - but this looks really odd to my eye - and very clunky. I think seeing the side of the wrap protruding around the edges of the diamond when looking at it from above looks very out of place. It doesn't seem to be a good reflection of your inspiration pic, and I think the rose gold makes your diamond look discolored. Not my cup of tea at all, but if - as you mentioned - she's going to love it, then there's really no problem. The workmanship to me, tho, looks very heavy. Sorry, jsmakr! Just my opinion - only you can really be a judge as only you have the actual ring in hand. Happy to admit I'm wrong and hoping I am.

ETA I'd lose the funky looking wrap and drop the head and that will whiten the look of the diamond and make it far more elegant. I'd still be looking at that prong and pave work through a loupe, tho, and seeing if it's as clean and tight as you want it to be.

jsmakr

Rough_Rock
I'm sorry - and let me say straight up that all taste is subjective so there's no right and wrong on this - but this looks really odd to my eye - and very clunky. I think seeing the side of the wrap protruding around the edges of the diamond when looking at it from above looks very out of place. It doesn't seem to be a good reflection of your inspiration pic, and I think the rose gold makes your diamond look discolored. Not my cup of tea at all, but if - as you mentioned - she's going to love it, then there's really no problem. The workmanship to me, tho, looks very heavy. Sorry, jsmakr! Just my opinion - only you can really be a judge as only you have the actual ring in hand. Happy to admit I'm wrong and hoping I am.

ETA I'd lose the funky looking wrap and drop the head and that will whiten the look of the diamond and make it far more elegant. I'd still be looking at that prong and pave work through a loupe, tho, and seeing if it's as clean and tight as you want it to be.

Thanks for your feedback. The photo I posted is a bit angled and the wrap showing from an overhead perspective is very minimal. I'm not quite sure what you mean by clunky because overall the ring is very petite and I wanted the band to be slim. Can you explain a bit more?

FullSizeRender.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the head is too high, and I also think that wrap part should have been angled in like the prongs as in the inspiration ring. Did this jeweler do CADs before going forward with making the ring? I also would probably have them remove the head and set the diamond lower and lose the wrap or either raise it to be a halo. Did she choose the inspiration ring? If so, I would pursue getting it remade like that picture. If she did not choose it, I'd skip the wrap part because it does not look right where it is.

jsmakr

Rough_Rock
I think the head is too high, and I also think that wrap part should have been angled in like the prongs as in the inspiration ring. Did this jeweler do CADs before going forward with making the ring? I also would probably have them remove the head and set the diamond lower and lose the wrap or either raise it to be a halo. Did she choose the inspiration ring? If so, I would pursue getting it remade like that picture. If she did not choose it, I'd skip the wrap part because it does not look right where it is.

Would it be easy to have them drop the head a bit to eliminate that tiny gap beneath the stone? They did do cad drawings and a couple molds but the first mold was not correct and only had 4 prongs. I agree the angling of the prongs is a bit off (only noticeable at close distances) because I'm all about symmetry - hense why I also liked the 6 prong vs 4 prong for the more rounded look.

I like the wrap because it's a unique touch to the simple 6 prong setting and she agreed when I took her window shopping a while back. The touch of rose gold she also liked to give it a bit of color but only when viewing from the side.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi jsmakr -

I can see the color of the wrap reflecting through the stone, making it look a tad brown. In the second photo, the wrap is still obvious around the edges of the stone. The prong work on the pave and on the wrap is not delicate enough for my liking or for neatness sake. To have something like that wrap work, you need a jeweler who can set VERY low and do exceptionally delicate work. An average jeweler is not normally capable of that. If you want to stay with your selected style, I would recommend Victor Canera in LA; he's a very nice man and can do the style you want. Looking at your finished project, the jeweler you used is a bit out of his depth. Also, a touch of rose gold is great - but not directly under the diamond. An I colored diamond is already pretty warm; add rose gold directly beneath it and you'll get a *very* warm effect.

I still recommend removing the wrap and setting the diamond lower; it would fix most of your problems and give you a nice ring.

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If I'm understanding what you're asking, you want to stick with this design and jeweler but make the ring look better. Is that correct? If so, what I think needs to happen is:

1) The wrap needs to be made larger in diameter so it can be up higher on the prongs (since you said there's barely any space showing below the diamond I don't think it's that your stone is too high but rather that the wrap is too small/low)

2) The wrap needs to have a tapered angle instead of being perpendicular to the stone

3) The stones in the wrap need to be smaller and set with MUCH more delicate beadwork.

If you choose to scrap the ring, then I second the recommendation of VC, Good luck!

jsmakr

Rough_Rock
One thing to note is the inspiration ring also has a bigger stone I believe a 3 ct so that plays into how the prongs are setup vs on mine.

Here is another angle of the ring. I am sticking with the overall concept/design - I do think she will love the rose gold wrap and simplicity of the 6 prong setting and not focus on the negatives mentioned such as the color warming the stone a bit. She's a pretty simple girl who does not wear a lot of jewelry and obsess about this stuff in general. It sounds like the jeweler could have still been more delicate with his work. I'm going to bring this up and see what my jeweler says. I still do think the whole placement in the head could have been a little tighter/lower.

IMG_7690.JPG

jsmakr

Rough_Rock
1) The wrap needs to be made larger in diameter so it can be up higher on the prongs (since you said there's barely any space showing below the diamond I don't think it's that your stone is too high but rather that the wrap is too small/low)

I actually mentioned I am not so thrilled about the tiny space under the diamond. I do agree the wrap could have been placed a tad higher and overall the stone set a little lower. Let me see what the jeweler says. I am not sure I would be using VC out in Cali this time around but def going to save his info for future needs. But just curious are his prices reasonable or on the higher end?

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi jsmakr! I think PSers, myself included, are a little thrown off by your request for feedback, thoughts and tips on your ring (especially when you have expressed concern and don't seem 100% satisfied) but seem to be defending the work done. Regardless of the size of the stone in the inspiration picture, the jeweler should be scaling everything down to make the ring proportionate to your stone. Logically, a smaller center stone should sit lower than a larger stone but yours is set super high - all you see is dead space between the wrap and where the head connects to the shank. The wrap in your inspiration picture has bead set diamonds and the wrap he made you has prong set stones. The wrap in the inspiration pic seems to be higher up and covers the curvature of the prongs that is so prominent in your ring. I could go on...

I agree with others in that he should lop off the head and set a regular 6 prong head lower and maybe your gf could pick out a rg wedding band or something to incorporate that metal into her set. We're only advising you so you don't settle for shoddy work! Best of luck!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi jsmakr -

If the color reflected in the stone doesn't bother you, and the metal work looks fine to your eye, and you like the overall design, and you're sure she's going to love it - then, as I understand it, the ONLY thing you're asking about is how high the diamond is sitting for *your* taste. Only you can answer that. If you dislike it - change it. Otherwise, if she's going to love it, then I don't think I'd bother.

Yes, Victor Canera is expensive. But he's also really, really good and his pave work and level of delicacy is second to none. You mentioned that it's 'a simple six prong setting'. You've actually chosen a very difficult design; it being simple doesn't make it easy - and a better jeweler would be of benefit to you for something like this.

One thing to note - if you move the wrap higher, it will also be (obviously) closer to the edge of the stone, ergo more obvious. I suspect that will exacerbate the problems we're seeing re color and visibility. I also think at that point it will look like a dropped halo. Again, if you're sure she'll love it, I'd leave it as it is.

Lastly - just on the design - in your inspiration picture, the wrap is a line of diamonds set between rails (bead set). What you have in your ring is a sort of mushroom pave setting. it's different from the get go. I think your jeweler has done that to minimize the metal. I think more clearly replicating the inspiration picture will exacerbate the problems re the wrap. But - to state again - if you know she'll love it, leave it as is; I dont think re-making it will make it better. The inspiration picture is just that - a picture - not a photo - and if you look at it carefully, you'll notice that the bottom of the wrap has a degree of depth to it - but the top edge of the wrap seems to be sitting directly on the white metal prongs ie have no depth to it whatsoever. This is the beauty of CGI. In real life, I suspect that ring would have problems of its own.

All that being said - I wish you good luck with your proposal and many happy years ahead.

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I actually mentioned I am not so thrilled about the tiny space under the diamond.
There's not much you can do about a "tiny space" which is why I said what I did. But based on the photo you recently posted, you've got a valley. Drop that diamond down in to it.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
by ac117 » 41 minutes ago

I agree with others in that he should lop off the head and set a regular 6 prong head lower and maybe your gf could pick out a rg wedding band or something to incorporate that metal into her set. We're only advising you so you don't settle for shoddy work! Best of luck!

This. Great idea!

alene

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The diamond is set very high and would bang on everything. Also think it should be lowered a good bit.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The struts holding the diamond also aren't straight. They change angles above the wrap. Makes it look like they're bent.

Here's one idea tho - how about a paved rose gold donut at the base of the diamond? Not as visible as the wrap idea, but more doable for your jeweler, I suspect, and far more delicate. Your diamond could then be as low as you liked.

If anyone else can chime in with pictures of paved donuts, I'd appreciate it - I haven't got the time right now to do a search. In the meantime - jsmakr - watch this video. See the circle straight under the diamond, which sits on the finger? The struts run between it and the basket. We refer to that as the donut because it's round and has a hole in it. :) See it has pave diamonds on it? That circle could be done in rose gold, with diamonds, and it would solve all your problems, I think. Not as obvious - but overly obvious is your main problem here.

https://www.victorcanera.com/rings/engagement/the-emilya-halo-solitaire

I would also switch jewelers and get David Klass to do it because I wouldn't be happy with your jeweler's metal work. This is a far simpler design than the one your jeweler has been trying to do for you, and DKJ - whose prices are VERY reasonable, but whose work is VERY good - would be the ticket here. If you decide you want to go this route, let me know, and I'll hook you up - they have a new bench working there who is awesome, and you'd want to go with him for this sort of work.

ETA If you want your first design, though, then I'm sticking with Victor Canera as my recommendation for this setting. And one last thing - you almost certainly haven't had a lot of experience with jewelry and lots of jewelers. You won't know how much better this setting can be till you've seen one done correctly. Most of us here have seen many (hundreds? thousands?) expertly set rings, so we can see the problems you can't. Just a useful bit of info because we're only trying to help you.

Last edited:

jsmakr

Rough_Rock
ETA If you want your first design, though, then I'm sticking with Victor Canera as my recommendation for this setting. And one last thing - you almost certainly haven't had a lot of experience with jewelry and lots of jewelers. You won't know how much better this setting can be till you've seen one done correctly. Most of us here have seen many (hundreds? thousands?) expertly set rings, so we can see the problems you can't. Just a useful bit of info because we're only trying to help you.

Sorry hope I didn't come off the wrong way I was trying to defend it in the sense of its not as bad as it seems because only under lots of magnification do I see the imperfections. Bu obviously if I was 100% satisfied with the ring, it wouldn't have triggered a post on this forum :) I'm honestly just dreading going back to my jeweler because he's got a big staff but he's pretty busy and not sure if he'll be able to set it lower in a couple weeks. He's closed today do I'm going to stop in tomorrow after work and see what he says. My friend did tell me its easier to go lower than having it be too low and adding metal. He experienced that and said it did not look right after it was raised. The question is whether he will have to re-do it all over or not and how long that would take.

jsmakr

Rough_Rock
My girlfriend does work in the medical field too and does wear medical gloves. She has mentioned she's not going to be wearing it to work though for several reasons but I still would like to have her be able to if she down the line she worked in an environment where it was more sensical to do so (private office vs hospital er).

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
jsmakr -

No - what you said didn't come off the wrong way. The ring is done, you want it to be ok, but are concerned it might not be - I get it. But you're going to have to bite the bullet on this one, because it isn't ok. And keep in mind, we're very used to looking at jewelry in magnification - that's virtually how it always is on these boards. But the truth is - what you see under magnification re metal work is more obvious under magnification - but it isn't invisible when you look at it with the naked eye either. You will still see the problems - and remember, women, even the easy-going ones - have access to looking at their rings all day long, from every angle, in every type of lighting. So if there's a problem, or the pave isn't completely smooth, or the stone has a brown tint, or the diamond is set too high - or whatever - your girl is gonna see it. These things are also more obvious, rather than less, in real life when you have the 3D real ring in front of you.

You said your jeweler - and also your friend. Is your jeweler a friend of yours? If so, that can sometimes be problematic. By the way - where did your stone come from?

My guess is there's no way this could be fixed without being re-made, but I could be wrong on that. What is your proposal schedule - and is it flexible?

Did you look at the video and did you like the donut idea? If you're going to have it remade, that would be the way to do it and still keep a touch of rose gold. But I have to tell you - I think there is EVERY likelihood that your girlfriend, after a month or two of wearing her ring and seeing brown reflected in the gold, is going to tell you she doesn't love the rose gold affect. It looks great in a jewelry shop with all the specific lighting, and in pictures where they sure as heck don't show a brown reflection. But in real life - different story.

One last thing. Not all jewelers are equal. What one can do - the next one often can't. They're also all individuals, and all of them have a different aesthetic. They almost all have different levels of attention to detail, and there is a huge range of skill and/or experience out there. If it were me, and I'd had one iteration of a ring which I didn't think was up to par, I'd be looking at how to make it as easy as possible for my jeweler. In this case, I'd ask for it to be remade, without the rose gold halo. I suspect your jeweler will be relieved and be happy to do it. And, of course, if you do that, she is WAY more likely to wear it - at work or anywhere else; as it is, it's very, very high. Skip the donut, drop the stone as much as you possibly can (I think you need a LOW setting, not even an average one, if you want her to wear it), stay with the pave shank, and she's gonna love it - AND wear it. This is my opinion and advice, but the final decision is yours.

Good luck!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry hope I didn't come off the wrong way I was trying to defend it in the sense of its not as bad as it seems because only under lots of magnification do I see the imperfections. Bu obviously if I was 100% satisfied with the ring, it wouldn't have triggered a post on this forum :) I'm honestly just dreading going back to my jeweler because he's got a big staff but he's pretty busy and not sure if he'll be able to set it lower in a couple weeks. He's closed today do I'm going to stop in tomorrow after work and see what he says. My friend did tell me its easier to go lower than having it be too low and adding metal. He experienced that and said it did not look right after it was raised. The question is whether he will have to re-do it all over or not and how long that would take.

Okay... I'm juts gonna come out and say it. This setting is a hot mess. It looks nothing like the inspiration photo. The prongs look like they've been squeezed with some sort of pliers and then angled differently to accommodate the center stone. It's ridiculously high and isn't aesthetically pleasing IMO.

Have a more experienced bench make this ring. Get your money back. If your jeweler could have executed this setting, he would have done so the first time.

I understand not being able to have VC do this setting, but there are many others who would do a much better job than this jeweler has done. I would have David Klass make this ring.

I know what I've said may sound harsh, but this is an important and expensive project...

Regarding your SO's occupation -- the ring your jeweler has made WILL NOT WORK UNDER GLOVES. PERIOD. NOT EVEN CLOSE. It's insanely high and will cause the gloves to rip easily. Also, the prongs are very wonky and uneven.

Again, have DK make this ring. His work is very nice and his prices are more than fair. Show him the inspiration photo... write to him at [email protected]

Last edited:

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The struts holding the diamond also aren't straight. They change angles above the wrap. Makes it look like they're bent.

Here's one idea tho - how about a paved rose gold donut at the base of the diamond? Not as visible as the wrap idea, but more doable for your jeweler, I suspect, and far more delicate. Your diamond could then be as low as you liked.

If anyone else can chime in with pictures of paved donuts, I'd appreciate it - I haven't got the time right now to do a search. In the meantime - jsmakr - watch this video. See the circle straight under the diamond, which sits on the finger? The struts run between it and the basket. We refer to that as the donut because it's round and has a hole in it. :) See it has pave diamonds on it? That circle could be done in rose gold, with diamonds, and it would solve all your problems, I think. Not as obvious - but overly obvious is your main problem here.

https://www.victorcanera.com/rings/engagement/the-emilya-halo-solitaire

I would also switch jewelers and get David Klass to do it because I wouldn't be happy with your jeweler's metal work. This is a far simpler design than the one your jeweler has been trying to do for you, and DKJ - whose prices are VERY reasonable, but whose work is VERY good - would be the ticket here. If you decide you want to go this route, let me know, and I'll hook you up - they have a new bench working there who is awesome, and you'd want to go with him for this sort of work.

Yes! This.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would just like to add, that as someone who wore surgical gloves at work, and was constantly changing them between patients, i agree with your g/f, and wouldn't wear the ring at work, regardless of whether the setting is right or not. I'd be worried about tearing the gloves, and also the constant off/on affecting the pave.

I'm not an expert like the others, but when I saw your post earlier, I thought the setting looked 'off'. I'm sure your g/f would rather have it right after all the trouble you've gone to, than be disappointed and worried about wearing or damaging it.

alene

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If you're going to redo the setting (which seems like a good idea), why not just get one from the original designer?

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you're going to redo the setting (which seems like a good idea), why not just get one from the original designer?

I agree, but I would imagine cost may be a concern?

jsmakr

Rough_Rock
Yes, cost would be considerably higher. I'm going to ask him to re-do it. If I am not confident they will be able to execute the same ring with a lower setting, then I think the options will be to make it all in one metal (platinum) which will be easier, or take the suggestions above and remove the wrap. Go with a simpler 6 prong and same pave diamonds in setting.

Jeweler is not a friend - he did come recommended by a close friend and I know a lot of other people who have used him. Another friend just got his finished ring from him a couple weeks before me and he was completely satisfied. I just think they had trouble with my rose gold component.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
One reason I personally would not want the ring around the head is that diamonds get very dirty fast. They need to be cleaned at least once a week, and many here clean their diamonds daily. You have to be able to get a brush in between the prongs to clean the pavilion of the diamond. If you cannot do that, you have grime there that is hard to remove, and the diamond always looks a little dirty and is not as sparkly as it should be. So I honestly would get the head replaced with a regular platinum 6 prong head no higher than medium height. When people want to combine metals, a common way is to have the shank made out of rose or yellow gold, and the head/prongs made out of platinum. Then they can wear bands in either platinum or rose gold with the ring.

jsmakr

Rough_Rock
One reason I personally would not want the ring around the head is that diamonds get very dirty fast. They need to be cleaned at least once a week, and many here clean their diamonds daily. You have to be able to get a brush in between the prongs to clean the pavilion of the diamond. If you cannot do that, you have grime there that is hard to remove, and the diamond always looks a little dirty and is not as sparkly as it should be. So I honestly would get the head replaced with a regular platinum 6 prong head no higher than medium height. When people want to combine metals, a common way is to have the shank made out of rose or yellow gold, and the head/prongs made out of platinum. Then they can wear bands in either platinum or rose gold with the ring.

I thought about that too... dirt buildup under the stone over time and how hard it would be to clean inside that area.

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi DS! Maybe you can help me understand this better. I've always thought that if we couldn't get our diamonds sparkling nicely with a brush that using an ultrasonic cleaner could do the trick. Is that not the case? Or is there a risk using an ultrasonic cleaner?

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've always thought that if we couldn't get our diamonds sparkling nicely with a brush that using an ultrasonic cleaner could do the trick. Is that not the case? Or is there a risk using an ultrasonic cleaner?

Ultrasonics aren't a good idea for pieces with lots of pave -- the vibration can loosen the diamonds in the prongs.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results