shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on 3X...

Starfacet

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for sharing, really appreciate it. The additional sad part for me is that I was here on PS many, many years ago. I had to "leave" the group because I had a really horrible diamond and it just bummed me out too much to be constantly reminded as I would read through the various threads. So (not so fast) forward and I finally am able to make a trade and get my current diamond 6 mos ago. I was so thrilled to finally have a GIA stone and that it was 3X that I came back to PS... only to find out I still hadn't quite "arrived"! Definitely much prettier diamond, so I'm making progress lol! Was just hoping this would be my forever one (celebrating 30th wedding anniversary this Fall so my "forever" is running out lol!). My previous stone, which was EGL-Israel (ugh), got like a 4-point-something, I believe, on the HCA, so I'm definitely moving in the right direction :) And I have an E now, so I have to keep reminding myself that it is very special to be able to have that (with that in mind, it is very special to have ANY of it, so this was a good "reality check"!).
When you trade up to your super ideal, you won't have to rely on the HCA to tell you it's awesome!

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Mind to post your cert? Maybe it's not as bad as you think... :cool2:
No problem... I think most of the stats are good, short of that darn depth % which, if I'm understanding this correctly, it appears the cutter made the girdle thicker so it would make it over the 2 carat hump. I don't think the 43% pavilion is an issue, and 16% for the crown still falls within the recommended range, I believe. (And I like the small table, high crown look... I should've just gone for an OMC and called it a day lol!) So if that girdle was 3.5%, I'd be at approx. (glven rounding) 62.5% which would put me just a little over ideal yet would be so much better, if I'm understanding this, than I have now.
Also, this stone is not H&A, which clearly doesn't help the situation. So I'm not sure if it is the fact that it doesn't have a great optical pattern that's the big culprit, or the fact that it is cut deeper than ideal, or a combination of the 2.

Attachments

• Diamond Ring GIA Report.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 64
Reactions: AV_

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
She's shared in other threads.

Geez, ruin my easy button request. :P2

Just kidding, running short on time, but will try to pull and analyze later.

Also, have some thoughts on the GIA lab stuff as well, but I'll post that later as well when I can formalize my thoughts.

joelly

Ideal_Rock
@headlight, did you know that you can trade up your diamond for a CBI? High Performance Diamonds offers this service. You will lose some money but you do have the fact that your stone is a 2 ct E color going for you. After you get a CBI, you're "in the loop" so to speak, and can continue to trade up til you get to your desired size. Just a thought. If you love your stone so much that you wouldn't consider doing this, please disregard this post. :D
https://www.hpdiamonds.com/en-us/bl...our-old-diamond-up-to-crafted-by-infinity.htm

This is pretty much what I have in mind. 3X is nothing compare to CBI diamonds. Wink is the best person to deal with.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No problem... I think most of the stats are good, short of that darn depth % which, if I'm understanding this correctly, it appears the cutter made the girdle thicker so it would make it over the 2 carat hump. I don't think the 43% pavilion is an issue, and 16% for the crown still falls within the recommended range, I believe. (And I like the small table, high crown look... I should've just gone for an OMC and called it a day lol!) So if that girdle was 3.5%, I'd be at approx. (glven rounding) 62.5% which would put me just a little over ideal yet would be so much better, if I'm understanding this, than I have now.
Also, this stone is not H&A, which clearly doesn't help the situation. So I'm not sure if it is the fact that it doesn't have a great optical pattern that's the big culprit, or the fact that it is cut deeper than ideal, or a combination of the 2.

Thanks for posting.

Specs look reasonable: 55 table, 63 depth, 35 crown, 40.8 pavilion & 80 LGF

Of course, I'd like to see the depth at 62 or less, but many fly in at 62.5 or thereabouts. I would guess you are right about the cutter trying to make sure they hit the 2 carat mark and fattening up the mid section a tad. Love the small 55 table and 16% crown height. The height is a combination of the 35 crown and small table.

Small tables & steep crowns = big fire.

FWIW, a 40.6 pavilion measures about 42.8% depth but I've seen reported as both 42.5 and 43. A 40.8 pavilion equals 43 depth. And a 41 pavilion equals 43.5 depth.

I've seen 35/40.8 combos be great and some that have minor to moderate leakage. IMO, while all combos depend on the precision of the cut, that combo is more finicky most likely because you are beginning to pair a steep crown with a somewhat steeper pavilion.

If I were you -- I'd buy an ASET and H&A scopes and determine what I actually have. Whatever the result, it provides reassurance. Either you have an already great stone with little to no leakage, or maybe you have a stone that has some leakage and you want to improve as a result. The scopes will run about $100 and IMO is a cheap investment for the sanity of knowing where you stand.

But putting the specs and certs aside -- does your eyes like it? That is what matters the most. Having a paper perfect stone is great, but having your eyes love the stone you own is more important.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for posting.

Specs look reasonable: 55 table, 63 depth, 35 crown, 40.8 pavilion & 80 LGF

Of course, I'd like to see the depth at 62 or less, but many fly in at 62.5 or thereabouts. I would guess you are right about the cutter trying to make sure they hit the 2 carat mark and fattening up the mid section a tad. Love the small 55 table and 16% crown height. The height is a combination of the 35 crown and small table.

Small tables & steep crowns = big fire.

FWIW, a 40.6 pavilion measures about 42.8% depth but I've seen reported as both 42.5 and 43. A 40.8 pavilion equals 43 depth. And a 41 pavilion equals 43.5 depth.

I've seen 35/40.8 combos be great and some that have minor to moderate leakage. IMO, while all combos depend on the precision of the cut, that combo is more finicky most likely because you are beginning to pair a steep crown with a somewhat steeper pavilion.

If I were you -- I'd buy an ASET and H&A scopes and determine what I actually have. Whatever the result, it provides reassurance. Either you have an already great stone with little to no leakage, or maybe you have a stone that has some leakage and you want to improve as a result. The scopes will run about $100 and IMO is a cheap investment for the sanity of knowing where you stand.

But putting the specs and certs aside -- does your eyes like it? That is what matters the most. Having a paper perfect stone is great, but having your eyes love the stone you own is more important.
Thanks for all of this. So the scopes work even on mounted stones, good to know. Now I just have to get up the courage to face the music!

Any thoughts on the issue of grime building up easily on the pavilion if there isn't much "air space" in there because of the mounting head and setting it so low in there? Can that be part of the problem?

Starfacet

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for all of this. So the scopes work even on mounted stones, good to know. Now I just have to get up the courage to face the music!

Any thoughts on the issue of grime building up easily on the pavilion if there isn't much "air space" in there because of the mounting head and setting it so low in there? Can that be part of the problem?
Only a dirt problem! With the depth of the stone being an issue, inquiring about a recut with Southwest Diamond Cutters might be a good start.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Only a dirt problem! With the depth of the stone being an issue, inquiring about a recut with Southwest Diamond Cutters might be a good start.
Not sure what you meant by the "only a dirt problem"???
As for recut, I don't want to go below 2ct so that would take away that option. I had tried a recut with my former stone but because it was a 3.29ct, I wasn't concerned about losing size/weight.
I suppose if the recut still yielded a stone not less than my current measurements, as it doesn't measure what a 2.01 should be, it's a little smaller, i.e., depth.

Starfacet

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not sure what you meant by the "only a dirt problem"???
As for recut, I don't want to go below 2ct so that would take away that option. I had tried a recut with my former stone but because it was a 3.29ct, I wasn't concerned about losing size/weight.
I suppose if the recut still yielded a stone not less than my current measurements, as it doesn't measure what a 2.01 should be, it's a little smaller, i.e., depth.
I think that the dirt is easy to remove with regular cleanings. I suspect that it has little effect on the light return, which it sounds like is your main concern with your stone.
If you're right at 2.00 ct., then yes, a recut would take the weight down, but maybe not by much.
If you trade in for a CBI, then you're going to probably get a smaller diamond based on the trade up value of your current stone, unless you're willing to add funds to maintain at 2.00. This is especially true if you're trying to stay at E color.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
I think that the dirt is easy to remove with regular cleanings. I suspect that it has little effect on the light return, which it sounds like is your main concern with your stone.
If you're right at 2.00 ct., then yes, a recut would take the weight down, but maybe not by much.
If you trade in for a CBI, then you're going to probably get a smaller diamond based on the trade up value of your current stone, unless you're willing to add funds to maintain at 2.00. This is especially true if you're trying to stay at E color.
All points understood (ugh!). Why, OH WHY, couldn't I be one of those girls who could care less about diamonds!!!

chamois

Brilliant_Rock
@headlight, did you know that you can trade up your diamond for a CBI? High Performance Diamonds offers this service. You will lose some money but you do have the fact that your stone is a 2 ct E color going for you. After you get a CBI, you're "in the loop" so to speak, and can continue to trade up til you get to your desired size. Just a thought. If you love your stone so much that you wouldn't consider doing this, please disregard this post. :D
https://www.hpdiamonds.com/en-us/bl...our-old-diamond-up-to-crafted-by-infinity.htm

I did this very thing, traded my diamond with HPD for a CBI diamond and have since traded again (all this year). I wasn’t 100% sure that at the time my decision was the right one, but several months later I know it absolutely was and I have a perfect diamond that I love.

Starfacet

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I did this very thing, traded my diamond with HPD for a CBI diamond and have since traded again (all this year). I wasn’t 100% sure that at the time my decision was the right one, but several months later I know it absolutely was and I have a perfect diamond that I love.
Oohh, nice! Is there a post about this?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Headlight...Here's my wife's XX GIA stone before GIA assigned cut grades vs my AGS 0 cut CBI stone. I have no doubt my wife's stone would grade GIA XXX today (if I send it in for a new report) and/or AGS 0 cut. These are two different animals just depending on what specs one would prefer. My wife's 80% LGF (skinny arrows) vs my 76% LGF with fat arrows.

3.34 ct.jpg
Sarin scan.
3.34ct Siran.jpg
IMG_3986.jpg

Starfacet

Ideal_Rock
Premium
F2459A5B-19A0-4A83-A5D2-59D493D85596.jpeg

It doesn’t hurt to ask! Including my 1.23 CBI — second pic is in a fun ‘50’s wrap I scored two weeks ago on Ruby Lane!
Love this!!!

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A good cleaning will not magically make your cut any better, but it will absolutely allow your diamond to maximize its sparkle that its capable of producing.

Dawn dish soap and a baby toothbrush will work wonders for a home bath. If you get a chance to drop by a local jeweler (we like Diamonds Direct where we live) then getting a nice steam bath is even better. Our local DD manager and I talk diamonds and they clean for free. Last time half the store had to come over and see my wife's little 0.867 BGD stone as it was doing a mad sparkle bomb dance. I love it, as it allows me an opportunity to clarify its not a DD stone, its AGS000 and why H&A matter, lol.

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock
Hi headlight - just want to say that I think your diamond is gorgeous. That said, I wonder how you would feel about a recut? Could one of the trusted super ideal vendors recut your diamond so that it falls into the super ideal category that you prefer?

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Hi headlight - just want to say that I think your diamond is gorgeous. That said, I wonder how you would feel about a recut? Could one of the trusted super ideal vendors recut your diamond so that it falls into the super ideal category that you prefer?
You are all so awesome here! And the photos posted are absolutely amazing. If I do a recut, I’d be below 2 ct. and I don’t want that so I need to give this some thought as to the CBI option, etc.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
With regard to the GIA system, let’s put the issue as to whether their parameters are too broad aside... Let’s remember that there is a human grader that makes a determination with his/her eyes.
Now let’s bring back in their questionable parameters... and think about all the reports that come across our computer screens that look horrible by the #s, and then by the HCAs, and then by the images... yet someone at GIA still gave them top scores based on what they SAW???
I would expect my lack of understanding and inexperience to make a poor choice, but what’s their excuse???

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results